Love his cat but. . .

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Ashley11
Since I have found out I was pregnant, my s/o's cat has been drinking from. . .OUR TOILETS! I fill up his cat dish with water, and put down both toilet seats, and he drags his water across the kitchen therefore creating a big splat of water everywhere, and he just sits outside of the bathroom and cried and cries. I refuse to let him in there! But my s/o always forgets to leave the master bedrooms bathroom door shut so the cat can't get in there.

Is it just me or is it disgusting to have a cat who licks toilet water that has crap and pee in it, and then to be exposed to your child? I think it is horrible. My baby isn't even born yet ad it grosses me out.

I LOVE animals, don't get me wrong, I have a chow/yellow lab mix at home, but this cat is disgusting.
October 19th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
He's a cat, he doesn't know what the toilet is for, it's VERY normal cat (and dog) behavior. Every animal I've ever owned has gotten into the toilet bowl at one time or another. Honestly, a cat (and dog) uses it's tongue to clean it's butt and it's vagina or penis and is then around you and your children...how is the toilet any more or less gross? Just one of those things having animals. I've had cats and dogs both ever since my son was born (he's now 9) my dog used to lick my son's face ALL the time and the cats have licked him his whole life too. He's now 9 year old, he has zero allergies (except to mosquito bites) and zero issues, I can count on one hand the number of times he's been sick in 9 years, and is as health as can be.

So I'd stop going to terrible lengths to keep the cat out of the toilet. As long as you don't have any of those toilet cleaner cakes (like that turn the water blue or have bleach in them) in the tank that would make the cat sick there's really no harm. I would however make sure you're cleaning the toilet a couple of times a week just to be on the safe side....just make sure you flush 3-4 times to make sure all residual cleaning products are out of there.

PS
I guarantee if you gave your dog the chance, he/she would drink out of the toilet too. And just remember, your dog is licking it's rear end after it defecates and then going to lick you or your kid...really not much of a difference IMO...in fact the cat drinking from the human toilet that is (hopefully) cleaned with disinfecting products is probably cleaner.

Last edited by SpazTaz; October 19th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.
October 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The reason animals prefer toilet water over water that has been sitting in a water bowl is that the water in a toilet is flushed out and refreshed several times a day so it doesn't become "stale" or have chlorine smell to it, whereas water in a bowl just sits all day and the chemicals/minerals in it settle and create a scent that animals can pick up. My sister's cats prefer to drink out of the fish tank rather than a water bowl, because the filter in the tank churns the water and keeps it fresh smelling to them.

The idea of animal drinking from the toilet is gross, but it's probably not as bad as it sounds. Try to make keeping the lids down a habit to prevent the cat from drinking from it, but you can also try filtered water (not bottled, bottled water has just as many particles in it as tap), replacing the water in the bowl often or even getting one of those fountain waterers. Good luck! Hope that helps!

October 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlea View Post
The reason animals prefer toilet water over water that has been sitting in a water bowl is that the water in a toilet is flushed out and refreshed several times a day so it doesn't become "stale" or have chlorine smell to it, whereas water in a bowl just sits all day and the chemicals/minerals in it settle and create a scent that animals can pick up. My sister's cats prefer to drink out of the fish tank rather than a water bowl, because the filter in the tank churns the water and keeps it fresh smelling to them.

The idea of animal drinking from the toilet is gross, but it's probably not as bad as it sounds. Try to make keeping the lids down a habit to prevent the cat from drinking from it, but you can also try filtered water (not bottled, bottled water has just as many particles in it as tap), replacing the water in the bowl often or even getting one of those fountain waterers. Good luck! Hope that helps!
Not to poke holes, but I use filtered water from my RO system for my animals (all of them) and change out the water twice a day (once in the AM and once in the PM) and all of my animals will drink from the toilet if given a chance.
October 19th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Not to poke holes, but I use filtered water from my RO system for my animals (all of them) and change out the water twice a day (once in the AM and once in the PM) and all of my animals will drink from the toilet if given a chance.
See this is why I stopped coming to this board, every little thing gets picked apart if it isn't OVER explained and there always has to be an arguement.

I didn't say it would completely prevent the cat from drinking from the toilet, but it would encourage the cat to drink from a proper watering dish rather than the toilet.

I used to work for a company that makes water softeners, so I have tested A LOT of water and tap water has a lot of crap in it. They did experiments with giving dogs straight tap water verses bottled water verses filtered/purified water in side by side bowls and the dogs drank the purified water hands down every time.

So of course the cat will still have a desire to drink from the toilet as the toilet water still tastes fresh to him, but by providing more desirable drinking source the cat may become less interested in toilet water decreasing the issue she is having.

October 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry, but yes, things DO need to be explained. Giving out misinformation or unsubstantiated information is one of my biggest pet peeves on the planet...especially on the internet where any joe blow can read and take that information.

I think the bottom line, at the end of the day animals are animals, they aren't people cat doesn't know what the toilet is used for, it's simply a thing with a ton of water in it and something that challanges him more than going up to a dish (they get to climb to the toilet). They eat their own crap (at times), lick their own butts, and genitals, eat their own vomit they don't find it gross because they aren't people. As much as people want to humanize their pets....animals are animals and some things are just what animals do.

Let the cat be a cat as he's happy being a cat...and I still stand by the fact that drinking from the toilet and licking you is still cleaner than kitty licking his rear and licking you. Having a kid myself for the past 9 years...I promise, once you have a kid, there will be bigger things to stress over than the cat licking him and if he was just drinking from the toilet or not. You learn to get over the smaller things. As far as I know, I've never heard of a child getting sick because the dog or cat licked them if it makes you feel any better.
October 20th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Sorry, but yes, things DO need to be explained. Giving out misinformation or unsubstantiated information is one of my biggest pet peeves on the planet...especially on the internet where any joe blow can read and take that information.
The information I provided in the OP was more than sufficient to the question she asked. If SHE had further questions SHE could ask ME.

It seems because I provided an answer with information that YOU did not have, you felt intimidated, so you needed to "poke holes" to diminish my information and make yourself feel better. Every time anyone answers with something different than what you think, you feel the need to post an opposite, negative or condescending response and it is so draining on the board.

I also find it HILARIOUS that your biggest pet peeve is a person that supplies misinformation on the internet when half the stuff you post is incorrect (even though you sure have convinced yourself that YOU ARE RIGHT ALL THE TIME) and/or inconsistent to your previous responses. And though you are allowed to question another person's intelligence, everyone else is supposed to believe and follow everything you say without question or all hell breaks loose. Just because you have "done research" does not mean what you are "researching" is true nor does it give you the authority to tell people how THEY should care for THEIR pets.

Don't worry though, I will not be back on this board anymore, not even to lurk. It is exhausting and pointless to be here as it is a one way street.

If anyone has any pet questions, please feel free to PM me. Sorry I don't know EVERYTHING, but I can offer some guidance in some areas and if I don't know something I am not afraid to say so.

Good day and goodbye.

October 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Ashley11
LOL SO was not expecting an argument. Especially over me venting about a cat. . .lol

I know nothing about cats, and didn't think I would make people mad.

Sorry.

And don't treat me like I am stupid, I don't appreciate it. At all.

if I crap in that toilet and puke in that toilet, and pee in that toilet I don't want the cat licking my kid okay? I wasn't expecting to be told that I was being stupid.

This board is ridiculous. . .and I am sorry for even saying anything.

Good lord, I didn't ask you you to rip me to shreds and tell me a cat is cat.

i don't carer that you have a 9 year old, everybody has different parenting styles, and I for one do not want my cat licking crap from the water in my toilet bowl and then licking my kid I find it repulsive.

I am with the person above me, I am done with this place, and I was just lurking. LOL

Sorry for saying anything.
October 22nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
lovemyelisa's Avatar Veteran
Ashley, you really don't have to apologize to anyone for posting. It's that womans fault for being so rude and close minded. Practically encouraging your cats behavior to continue licking out of the toilet. Sounds dumb to me. If you don't want a cat to lick from the toilet you shouldn't have to deal with it even if a cat licks their butt and wants to lick toilet water. So that was dumb advice on her part. It's sad that she is the host and feels that her opinion on animals and child raising is right when you never said that it was wrong for a cat to lick toilet water, just that you don't want yours doing it.
October 25th, 2010, 11:58 AM
JenniferinFL's Avatar Veteran
Honestly, the easiest solution is just to teach everyone in the family to close the lid before flushing.

( I know, easier said than done!)

The lid on toilets is actually there for a reason, to prevent bacteria from spattering out when you flush the toilet and becoming airborne.

Oddly enough, none of my pets at the moment drink out of the toilet even if it's left up, but, once they get into the habit of it they keep doing it. One of my cats used to stand right in the toilet.. BLECH! But, now that the lid is mostly down, she doesn't do it even when the lid is left up.

With cats, I've found it's easier to train the people than to train the cat.. I'm more of a dog person myself, but, my husband loves his cats, so we find ways to work around them..

October 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
WOW, Ive just come back to this board after a long MIA ... what a post to open first!

I actually agree with Meghans first post. AND Barlea's.

I too have used the filtered water and my cats and dogs have chosen not to drink from it. My cats will not drink from their own bowl, only the dog bowl. AND the dogs and cats will only drink from said bowl if its fresh and COLD. I believe that is why they drink from the toilet at all is becuz flushed water is cold.

I dont think either of their opinions went over the line.

And My cat... Bob does know what the toilet is used for, because he uses the toilet himself yet he still drinks from it. He will not use the toilet unless its flushed and he will not drink from it unless its flushed, but that just shows he one knows what its used for and two doesnt really care, he just wants that fresh water that is produced when its flushed and its COLD. (dont believe me, I have a video, I used to host this board and Ive posted it before)

I know this cuz the moment I catch him or the dogs in the bathroom, I immediatly go and fill their water bowl with ice water and they go straight to it.

And Ashely I dont think anyone said you were stupid or even hinted that you were. They were both trying to give you some advice.

However... I will tell you straight out as a mother of two boys... if you think a cat drinking from the toilet is gross... just wait and see what your child puts in the toilet then in their mouth.

Im not trying to add to the arguement, just trying to tell it like it is. Cats are cats. Dogs are dogs and children can be just as gross.. trust me...

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Last edited by The Lesha; October 26th, 2010 at 01:33 AM.
October 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Bristol's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my child licks out of the dog bowl and plays in the toliet. Yeah its gross, but once they get to be toddlers theres a lot more you have on your mind than the cat licking the baby. I wouldn't let a cat near my newborn though. The cat is gonna sniff the baby and might lick the milk of his/hers lips. so watch out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search