Lurker with doggie questions

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a 5-6 month old female dog. Our vet says she's old enough to be spayed right now, but my husband recently lost his job and we just can't afford it right now. I intend to have her spayed soon, but I'm afraid she'll go into heat before then. I've never had a female dog and so I don't know what to expect. DH doesn't really give me any answers, he just laughs and tells me not to worry about it. Well, I AM worried about it. I have no idea what goes on to a dog in heat, how often they go into heat, etc. Can someone help me? Thanks!!

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
October 21st, 2010, 08:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When she will start depends on the dog. Sometimes family lines can tell but that's still just a guess. I've seen it anywhere from 4 months to 18 months (obviously both being on the opposite ends) with the most common between 6 and 12 months.

PLEASE if you let her go into heat before getting her spayed (she looks like she could be a pit mix, if that's the case many places will do pits and pit mixes for free, there's also discount spay/neuter places that will do it for $50-$70 that that is all they do, Humane Society same deal. I'd recommend you get it done as if she gets pregnant the bills will be a whole lot more. If you end up with her going into heat you will need to take her out to potty on leash and make sure you or your husband stay with her 100% of the time if she's outside. She shouldn't be let into the backyard without you or your husband being present (males can smell them up to 2 miles away and yes they will jump, dig climb, do whatever they can to get to a female in heat and it takes about 2 seconds for them to tie and that's that. Obviously she'll bleed...how much depends on the dog you may or may not need protective pants for her (providing you don't want it on your furniture/carpet), and it lasts anywhere from 2-4 weeks depending on the breed, size, and individual dog.

If you need help finding no or low cost spay/neuter clinics in your area feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help you out.
October 26th, 2010, 01:06 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
The humane society in my area spays and neuters pets for food donations. You may want to check out your local shelter. Otherwise obide by what Meghan has said.

I havent had a female dog in my home, but my MIL has a female non spayed female boston terrier. When she comes in heat MIL has to drape all furniture with thick sheets. She also uses special doggie pads for the bleeding...

The only reason she isnt spayed is due to her heart worms, the vet doesnt recommend her being spayed because of it.

If you are not wanting to breed her, your best bet would be looking into shelters that will spray her for a cheap price or for free or getting an apt at the vet and saving up. It would cost less in the long run.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
October 26th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do NOT want to breed her. I called my vet it's going to be about $100 to spay her. Maybe once DH gets to working more we can get her spayed. (Hopefully that is soon!!!)

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search