Getting rid of Fleas on a cat.

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2010, 06:27 AM
CountryGirl1982's Avatar Loving my son!
Our cat has fleas. And they are getting worse. Now I can see them running by his eyes
I was told to use Dawn Dish Soap. Also Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo.
He has had both baths, and still has the fleas. I even vaccumed well and washed all bedding, etc.

I'm really having a hard time deciding if I should keep this cat or not.
I love him a lot and he is very playfun fun and cuddly. However, he is a bit too cuddly for a infant. He has been sleeping ON my chest and sometimes up around my head. That makes me so nervous for when the baby is here.

Anyway back to the flea part. I called about getting frontline, and they told me that was basically to prevent fleas, it wasnt gonna get rid of them all, so I needed to come buy some flea and tick shampoo, and NOT to use the dawn dish soap or baby shampoo and to use some type of fogger stuff in the house to make sure there were no eggs.

Have any of you had this problem? How did you get rid of the flea cycle in your house?
I hate to see him go. I really love him, and Ive always wanted an orange cat, that was lovey, but we're running into major problems here.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy

November 4th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Whoever told you Frontline only prevents them is sadly mistaken. Get Frontline Plus and put it on the cat. The fleas will be dead within 12 hours and it will also stop the life cycle by not allowing eggs to hatch. This is directly from their website:

Why FRONTLINE?
  • Proven protection. FRONTLINE Plus killed 100% of fleas within 12 hours of application.**
  • Long lasting: continues to kill fleas and ticks all month long.
  • Approved for use on puppies and kittens 8 weeks of age and older and on breeding, pregnant or lactating cats and dogs.
  • Waterproof: effective even after swimming, bathing and grooming.
FRONTLINE Plus breaks the flea and tick life cycles to deliver continuous protection
to you and your pet.

And it's not a prescription so you can get it from your vet, PetCo, online at vetdepot.com is the best price I've seen it for legitimate EPA USA approved stuff.

Another "excerpt from their site:

FRONTLINE Plus can help. FRONTLINE Plus kills fleas and ticks on your dog or cat and prevents re-infestation.

FRONTLINE | Fleas and ticks

Give the cat a bath in Dawn dish soap (no baby shampoo it's not PH balanced for a cat and can be dangerous), let him dry well and then apply the Frontline Plus on his skin between his shoulder blades (so he can't lick it off). Personally I'd recommend putting him in a cat carrier and putting him outside and bug bombing your house if they're that bad and then washing anything he lays on in HOT soapy water as well.

Make sure you then reapply the Frontline Plus every 30 days like clockwork for a good long time. Yes it's going to take awhile to be rid of them 100%, but this will drastically reduce the population at least. Also take him to the vet and have him tested for intestinal parasites as fleas many times transmit worms to animals.

In being cuddly, he isn't going to be like that with the baby. Babies squirm, scream, cry, grab things no cat is going to hang around for that. He may like YOU and laying on YOUR chest but you aren't flailing around all over the place and screaming either. I've had 3 cats and raised my son since an infant (which is now 9 years old) all of my cats are friendly and everyone did just fine.

Last edited by SpazTaz; November 4th, 2010 at 07:42 AM.
November 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never heard of using Dawn dish soap for fleas, but it's been a LONG time since I've had to deal with that, not since I was a kid.

Were it me, I'd get a flea shampoo and use that, as well as the Frontline. I'd also get a bug bomb (make sure it kills fleas, I'm pretty sure they have different bombs for different things), and get two. The fleas will have laid eggs so you'll have a second round to kill off, possibly three.

As suggested, wash everything and vacuum everything (couches, etc) like crazy. I wouldn't worry about the cat and the baby, most cats don't want anything to do with a baby for the reasons stated above.

Good luck! It's a pain to get rid of fleas, that's for sure.
November 4th, 2010, 12:06 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Flea shampoos, dips, and powders are all really dangerous for cats and in the past have actually killed cats. I wouldn't use any of them. There was recently a big news story about it. I would do exactly what Mommie2One suggested with the Frontline and dish soap. Good luck!!

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
November 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM
JenniferinFL's Avatar Veteran
Frontline usually works wonderfully.. It kills all the fleas on the cat within 24 hours and usually takes care of the problem in the house too since they tend to jump on the cat and also die..

Fortunately, your in the north, so once it freezes you aren't having any new fleas coming in from outside until it warms up again.

I live in Florida, where we have a year round flea problem. Even so, we control the fleas in our house just alternating between Frontline, Advantage and Revolution on the cats and vacuuming regularly. In the north, you generally don't have to alternate flea control, but since we use it year round here, we have to alternate between the 3 or it seems like the fleas become resistant.

We really kicked ourselves for waiting so long to try Frontline. Before that, we were flea bathing all the pets every couple weeks, bug bombing and STILL had tons of fleas.

November 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Also if you do the vacuuming gig, put a cheap flea collar in the bag (or recepticle if bagless) of your vacuum otherwise live fleas will get through the bag/recepticle and it'll be pointless. Then make sure to throw the bag/recepticle away promptly.

Also I believe it's Hot Shot makes no mess flea bombs which kills the fleas as well as the eggs.
November 6th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Carnia's Avatar Regular
I agree on the Frontline. I use it for my cats. Also, for fast flea relief, ask about Capstar. It is a pill that is fairly inexpensive. It begins working within 30 mins of being given. It kills adult fleas fast. BUT it is not a long-acting thing so if you use Capstar, also apply Frontline to prevent reinfestation. You can use it on animals as small as 2 lbs. The 2-25lbs dose works for both dogs and cats. Been working in animal rescue (dog and cat) in the Southeastern US for about 15 years, this combination has always been my best line of attack for nasty fleas. Hope this helps!

Oh and here is the link to the Capstar site so you can read more detailed info:

Welcome to the CAPSTAR Homepage - Novartis Animal Health US, Inc.

Last edited by Carnia; November 6th, 2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Adding link.
November 8th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Thanks for all the replies. We picked up the frontline plus. I gave him a bath in the regular blue dawn dish soap. Put water in the sink and made him stay in the water w/ the soap on for like 10 minutes. I cant believe he actually did so good. He didn't even scratch or try hard to get out. Probably felt good. After that he dried for a few hours while we cleaned and vacuumed and then we put frontline on him. I searched tonight for a flea near his head and didn't see any. He will not let me go down by his legs to look, he thinks im playing and scratches the tar out of me. So i'm crossing my fingers for NO FLEAS. Specially w/ my baby coming in Feb. Thank you all once again for your help.

November 8th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl1982 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. We picked up the frontline plus. I gave him a bath in the regular blue dawn dish soap. Put water in the sink and made him stay in the water w/ the soap on for like 10 minutes. I cant believe he actually did so good. He didn't even scratch or try hard to get out. Probably felt good. After that he dried for a few hours while we cleaned and vacuumed and then we put frontline on him. I searched tonight for a flea near his head and didn't see any. He will not let me go down by his legs to look, he thinks im playing and scratches the tar out of me. So i'm crossing my fingers for NO FLEAS. Specially w/ my baby coming in Feb. Thank you all once again for your help.
If you pick him up by the nape of his neck you should be able to look at his belly that way without him scratching you. Keep in mind though they ARE still in your home so I'd highly recommend you bug bomb or put down DE or something other than just washing and vacuuming otherwise it's going to be a very very long time before they completely die off. Also make sure to keep treating with Frontline Plus every 30 days for quite awhile.

Good luck! Hope you continue to have success! We had an infestation once years ago and it took me about 8 months to get it to go away 100% but we did have success eventually so hang in there it does get better if you're diligent.
November 9th, 2010, 02:35 AM
I heard the bombs don't really work. What do you think about the borax? I thought someone said they wont live if they arent on the cat? We have never seen one in the house or on us before. Even before treating.
Is it safe to use the bombs while pregnant?
Do you know if its true or not that dryer sheets around the house in random spots will kill them or is that a myth?

Thanks so much for your help

November 9th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The bombs work as long as you get the ones made especially for fleas and flea eggs. I got the no mess hot shot flea and flea egg ones and did 2 different rounds about 3 weeks apart and they worked great. Personally I don't like Borax because it's toxic and goes into the carpet (powder) and won't ever come up 100%.

Yep fleas can live on dead skin cells, urine, blood, and a million other things in the carpet. I was gone for 4 weeks with no animals or people in my home which is how I found the infestation (when I got back) so they did just fine for those 4 weeks living in my furniture and carpet. That's why fleas are so hard to get rid of.

The bug bombs are fine while you're pregnant you aren't in there when you set them off and you leave your windows open for like 2-3 hours before you return to the property so no biggie. I wasn't pregnant but my son was 8 months old and he did just fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search