Gunky eyes

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2010, 06:01 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I noticed this weekend that my dog's left eye was gunky and a little droopy. Being that it was the weekend and we couldn't make a vet appointment we just cleaned it out regularly. By Sunday her eye was back to normal. However yesterday morning I noticed the right eye was now gunky. By yesterday evening, it was a little droopy. By last night the left eye was gunky again.

I didn't call the vet yesterday because the left eye had improved on it's own so quickly, or so I thought. The thing is, realistically, we can't afford the vet right now. I'm a substitute teacher and haven't been able to get a job in a week. At the same time, I know the eyes aren't something to mess with. Is there anything you would recommend that we can do at home aside from wiping the gunk out of the corners of her eyes?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
November 9th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They may be infected especially if it keeps passing to both and they're droopy. When it comes to the eyes there's really not much you can put into them that isn't an RX so your pup really needs to see a vet. You may want to see if there are low cost clinics on your area or see if your vet accepts payment plans. In reality it shouldn't be more than the exam visit and an RX (if needed) or two usually eye issues are easily identified by regular vets.

She really needs to go to the vet.
November 11th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Super Mommy
just a while back our cocker had a goopy eye which was totally abnormal for her, so I just took a soft warm wet cloth and gently wiped over her eye area and the corner of her eye. A day or two later and it was back to normal.

Note: do not wipe one eye with the cloth and then wipe the other, because if one eye isn't infected/goopy, you could transfer it.
November 11th, 2010, 11:24 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
This happens to my Boxer mix all the time.... he is a very special doggie who likes to eat wasps.... this causes an allergic reaction, in which his jaws swell up and his eyes itch and he paws at his eyes..... I have to give him a benydril tablet. I doubt its the same with yours since you didnt mentin any swelling... but does she paw at her eyes or even act like its bothering her? Have you tried cleaning her eyes with a contact solution (that removes protein? had to use it for my old cocker when his eye was scratched by the cat to prevent infection)

Both of those remedies were given to me by the vet. But, if you dont know exactly whats wrong, it continues, or more symptoms arise, you may need to take her in. KUP!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
November 12th, 2010, 06:23 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
The only time she paws at it is when she's trying to knock our hands away. It seems to be a lot better. There's still a little bit of gunk but it's not continuous anymore.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search