we are deciding on getting a pet possibly...

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are deciding on whether to get a cat or a dog. i would like both, i'm not sure yet though. our son has asmtha so we want a pet that is not going to shed much. also our son is shy with animals and we'd like him to learn responsibility as well. It's important to have that. He is almost 7 yrs old. So we have been talking about it. We are moving in Jan. So we haven't decided whether to get the pet when we move or before we move. My apt complex does require a $400 fee that is non refundable & $25 a mth for a cat & $50 for a dog added to the rent. My hubby is wondering since we are trying to concieve if we should even get a pet. theres alot of things we have to think about. we've thought about our situation. my hubby also works from 7am-5pm and sometimes we arent home that much. so i'm worried about that as well, if i have doctor appointment, if we go out. we want to be able to give our pet love and not feel guilty if we leave the pet home. Any one have experiances they'd like to share, like how they decided to get a pet and if they didn't get a pet, is it still an option later to get one or even two.

November 11th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Super Mommy
First I would say that if you are considering getting a pet, don't do it until you have settled into your new place. It can be enough of an adjustment for a pet to have a new owner, a new home, but then to come into your home only to be uprooted and moved a short while later can be really hard on them. So definitely wait till you get into your new place.

We have 2 cats, and 1 dog. Just remember with either comes expenses and a time requirement. Vet Bills, Food, Grooming, Toys, Training, Walking (dogs need exercise), and heaven forbid your pet get into something that might mean a trip to the emergency vet after hours which is $$$.

Life can get busy, but it's not an excuse to neglect pets. So make sure that you really think long and hard if you will have the time to devote to them that they will need. Even if you are ttc you could still get a pup and have it trained before the little one arrives. With that I will say that you definitely need to research your breeds because some dogs do better with children than others. It sounds though that you have pretty busy schedules so I feel like right now adding a dog to the mix isn't the best idea. Cats are not as dependent as dogs, so that might be a better option for now!

I'm not trying to deter you from getting either, they are amazing companions and while they sometimes make our little home feel a little chaotic at times, we can't imagine our life without them.
November 11th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would agree with the above. I would also add if your son has asthma there is no such thing as a non shedding animal as all animals shed skin cells, hair, fur, or a combination of the 3. I can't tell you how many dogs are turned into rescues and shelters due to people's kids having asthma/allergies and not being able to tolerate the family pet anymore.

Personally I'd probably recommend something like a guinie pig to you guys. Your son is the pefect age for one they have hair versus fur which helps in the allergy department and they aren't nealry as hard to rehome if it doesn't work out they are also very cheap to maintain and easier to care for.

Also please do not get a dog or a cat thinking your 7 year old is going to care for it...they're not. And if you choose to go with a dog, I'd encourage you to consider a 2-3 year old rescue instead of a puppy as you're past the potty training stage and the biting stage and the puppy stage.

Good luck in your decision and I definitely say wait as well for your own sanity plus for the well being of whatever pet you get.
November 11th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Personally I'd probably recommend something like a guinie pig to you guys. Your son is the pefect age for one they have hair versus fur which helps in the allergy department and they aren't nealry as hard to rehome if it doesn't work out they are also very cheap to maintain and easier to care for.
Ohhhh I think this is a wonderful suggestion as well. I had two guinea pigs when I was younger and if we didn't have any pets, and we had kids that wanted a pet I'd consider this an option. They are low maintenance, low cost, are cute, and can be fun little critters to have!
November 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM
JenniferinFL's Avatar Veteran
I'm also going to agree with guinea pigs instead.. Usually, I would suggest a pair of female rats, BUT, some people with asthma react a lot more to them than they do to guinea pigs.

A LOT easier to care for than a dog or cat at this point..

November 12th, 2010, 12:07 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
As an owner of a guinea pig... I would just like to say... it is alot cheaper to to feed a piggie, and even to provide proper care.... however... maintaining a piggie is quite a task, for they are very messy and can smell if you dont take care to clean their cage OFTEN. I clean my piggies cage twice a week as I do the cat's litter box. At this time, all I have to do is scoop out the soiled bedding and add some fresh. however... at the time I rescued her, she wasnt trained in the pottying department and would go everywhere in her cage, so I was actually scooping and replacing all of the bedding several times a week. And just like dogs and cats, they demand attention and they need cuddle time and lots of exercise. And something I didnt know when I brought her home, but piggies nails grow long, very quickly and need to be clipped atleast every few months.

Alot of people believe that a guinea pig is a caged animal that needs to stay in the cage and looked at, but thats not the case at all. They need to allowed outside of their cage as much as you can allow it, safely. They will nibble on things, and may hide under furniture, so its only safe to do it if you can watch them closely.

also though piggies can survive on pellet food alone, its a great treat to give them fresh veggies and like dogs and cats, there are some things they cant have, so research is important.

I agree with Meghan on the dog, in your situation, an older dog who is already house trained is your best bet if you decide on a dog. Puppies need alot of assitance and constant training.

To me... a cat is the easiest. you feed them and scoop their litterbox. they need nothing more. Maybe some snuggles every once in awhile, but only on their terms. lol Cats are odd creatures.

and I agree with the first poster... wait until you are settled. Moving is very hard on pets.

Im in no way trying to sway you in any direction either, just want to let you know, that whatever you decide, just know what you are getting into and if you want your son to take care of the animal, let him know what you expect of him.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search