Cat with allergy issues....UPDATE 7/29

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2010, 11:44 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I just dont know what else to do...

My cat is scratchign the crap out of his neck.... the first time he did it, he opened up the skin, where you could see inside.. yeah gross I know...

He's been to the vet twice over it.

The first time, (when he opened it up) they said it was an allergic reaction to something. They gave him a cortisone shot, an antibiotic, and a cream.

The antibiotic was used til it was gone, 2 weeks. and the cream for about 1 week.

The scratching contiued after the antibiotic was done.

He has worn a cone hat since it started to try to keep him from scratching at it... but its just not working anymore.

The second vet trip, he was given another shot and more antibiotics. The scratching seemed to subside a tiny bit during the antibiotic use... but has since begun again.

We have moved to a new place since this started. I alway assumed whatever he has a problem with was at the old house.. but yet he's still scratching.... I thought he was allergic to the flea spray the bug lady puts down every few months so I had it changed.. that's not it.

Ive changed his food, he's eating a wholesome mainly chicken dry food now. I cant think of what its called..... but I read the ingriedients and its top ingriedient was chicken. not chicken by product, fresh chicken.

That's not helping....

my new house is hardwood floors, so theres nothing in the carpet... Ive been using a homemade (vinegar/baking soda/water) fabric softner for a month... and that hasn't changed anything. Im looking into changing laundry detergents (he likes to lay in the laundry baskets, thats why I started with the laundry...) Im switching over to homemade natural cleaners to see if its some cleaner I use that's causing it...

I have to bandage his neck and put the cone on every day.... bath him once or twice a week cuz he's still able to push the cone up and claw at it.

My next step is getting him declawed and I really dont want to do it but I dont have much choice. I just cant figure out what's wrong!

Oh and when he was at the vet the first time, he was tested for all the feline viruses, leukemia and so on and all came back negative. thats why they are saying its an allergic reaction. I just can figure out what!

Any ideas??

UPDATE:

After seeing several vets.... getting several meds.... having a skin scraping...(negaitve on everything) Bob was diagnoised with having a SEVERE allergy to flea bites. Not fleas in general but the bites. Apparently during the first outbreak, last year.... he began to scratch...and the first two vets didn't pick up on the problem. The flea issue was eliminated quickly, yet he still scratched as his wound from the prior scratching healed. Almost a year later, we had another flea outbreak.... and I noticed it made Bob scratch more... (keep in mind, hes still wearing the special cone to keep from scratching....) We called and had Servall spray the house and yard (we have dogs that go outside... cats stay inside) ... we seven dusted outside ourselves and sprayed the cats bedding...etc....

Bob stopped scratching so much. I bought a $50 spray that claimed to heal and cure within 14 days. it only made him scratch more... I assumed because he was healing.... His wound didnt get worse but it didnt clear up as he scratched during its healing. I finally gave in and had him declawed. I DO NOT support declawing in any way but I was afraid that he would end up scratching himself to death. He had made an open sore on his neck once before, and I felt he'd do it again with the constant scratching. He was declawed just last week. Hes on antibiotics and I continue to use the $50 spray on him.

He's doing very well. His wound is healing nicely. (the vet did a scrape and clipping) He is still pawing at it (vet says cuz its healing and itches as it was before) He is on a pill to keep fleas off him in the event they come back from the dogs going outside and bringing them in.

Here is Bob months ago in his hated cone hat....

And here he is the day after his declawing... (7/21/11)

Not only does his wound look better *you cant see it in the pic, its on his neck* but he has a much better attitude, as Im sure he feels better. He doesnt try to go outside (that was a big problem before), he doesnt get into things as he used to, he frequently spends time in his "cave"

Hes doing extremely well and as much as I hate the "declawing", I know in this instance it was the best thing to do for him. He's happy, he plays with the kids now, he cuddles.. he's just overall the cat he used to be.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Last edited by The Lesha; July 29th, 2011 at 02:20 AM.
November 12th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well still could be food if he is allergic to chicken (which is pretty common). I'd recommend trying a novel protein and grain free and see if that helps. Natural Balance has a whole line of allergy foods that help a lot of cats and dogs both (are a god send for my dog with severe food allergies). Here's their link:

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance L.I.D.™ Allergy Formulas for Cats

So I'd recommend a food change and to give it at least 2 months as it can take that long for the old ingredient to get out of their system and for them to heal up.

In the meantime you may want to check with your vet on what the dosage of Benadryl is for cats and see if a dose of Benadryl daily for now will help.

Good luck!
November 12th, 2010, 07:56 AM
JenniferinFL's Avatar Veteran
Grains are usually the allergen causing the problem, even if a food is MOSTLY meat, any grain can cause an allergic reaction.

I have a collie mix with severe allergies, when her first owner finally surrendered her to the animal shelter, she had no fur at all.. She cannot have any grain at all, so we end up making her food. Most animals though will not have that severe of an allergy.

Innova Evo makes a grain free food and there's a few other companies that do too. Generally, only canned foods can be completely grain free. It takes a few months to work and they can't have ANY grain. So, you really have to pay attention to any treats they've had and so on.

The shot never really helped my Collie at all. The only thing that worked on her is a strict diet.

November 12th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Grain free brands for kitties include Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance, Innova Evo, Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Felidae, Nature's Variety Instinct...these are just a few off the top of my head so you have quite a few choices nowadays. And all of these brands have dry or canned food choices and many also have treat choices.

If you need a further limited ingredient diet I'd recommend Natural Balance but if it turns out grains are the only problem then obviously any of these would work for you.

Good luck!
November 12th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Thanks so much ladies. I still cant think of what the food is I switched too. (I dump the bag into a container cuz if its not fresh he wont eat it... and I just got it 2 weeks ago... so I cant remember... ) I just remember reading the ingridients.

Ugh mommy mind... I cant ever remember anything...

a little history.. he was eating Chicken soup for the cat lovers and was doing great... then we got into a bit of a financial problem and had to feed him friskies dry food and thats around the time he started having the issue. Ive went to meow mix... since then.. still a problem.... they dont sell chicken soup in my new town or id totally go back to that.

Meghan I will check out the link you posted. I believe they sell that food at Tractor supply where I got the one hes eating now.

Im gonna look up the ingriedients in chicken soup and check the meow mix and friskies and see if I can find a link to a certain grain in it.

Do you think its food thats doing it? not something else?? I dont mind at all changing foods or paying a high price if thats the cause. Anything to get my bob back to his old self.

November 12th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It really sounds food related to me. And considering you went from Chicken soup which is a really good food to grocery store foods which are very low quality that doubly makes me think that is probably the issue.

I'd switch to a higher quality food and see if that makes any difference, just realize it may take 2-3 months to see a change. Meow Mix and Friskies both have some really gross stuff in them as well as huge allergens so it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
November 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I have checked out the link and i cant find a store near me that sells the food. Have you ever ordered cat food online? Do you have any idea where would be the cheapest place to purchase it?

I know where I go to get his food now, they carry natural balance... but Im unsure if they have the allergy food.. according to that website, they dont carry it around here.. but I plan on going to look (as soon as DH fixes my car, he hit a deer and busted my radiator )

I looked up the chicken soup ingriedients and it doesnt look like there are grains in it, yet the friskies is full of grains and nastiness, so it very well could be a grain allergy. I wanna say the food I bought is called 4life or 4health.. i know there is a 4 in it.. but I havent been able to find it online. it was the cheapest I could find with chicken and natural ingridients. I will have to check it when i go back to compare ingridients. if seems grain free, I may continue that (he's been eating it for about 2 weeks now)

Thanks again, the allergy natural balance sounds like it would be the best for him!

and I know it will take some time to see a difference... ill keep doing what im doing... bathing him once a week to keep his sore from getting infected, he actually doesnt fight it now, lol I think the warm water feels good. Ive also tried using a fungal cream thinking that was the problem, but after 2 weeks of use it he still scratched.

But thanks again, I will let you know if I can get the food and how its going!

November 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No I've never ordered food online as I've never had to so sorry I'm not much help in that regard.

On if they sell Natural Balance even if they don't carry the allergy formulas they can (and should) order it for you if you request it. As long as they hold the contract with them they can get any variety they want. You may have to pay in advance but they should order it for you.

And yes Chicken soup is full of grains. Here's a list of the ingredients for Chicken Soup:

Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Turkey meal, white rice, potatoes, oatmeal, millet, natural chicken flavor, salmon, turkey, duck, ocean fish meal, flaxseed, sodium bisulfate, egg product, methionine, potassium chloride, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Barley is a grain, rice is a grain, oatmeal and millet are both grains so it's pretty grain heavy. Chicken Soup is NOT a grain free food they don't have a grain free line at the moment, so grains are not your problem. 4 Health is a decent food, it is not grain free but he obviously doesn't have an issue with grains if he was eating Chicken soup and was fine. But that doesn't mean there isn't something else in the 4 Health that isn't bothering him. But a food allergy can take 2-3 months before you notice a difference so if it's only been 2 weeks I'd give it some time for sure.

I wouldn't bathe him 100% that often it's very drying and irritating to their skin. I'd just wash that one individual area with a decent cat shampoo (such as Blue Botanicals or Earth Bath) and maybe put a little bit of Neosporin (regular not the no pain) on that area so it doesn't get infected. He may need to wear an e-collar for awhile to keep him from messing with that spot.

If you need any help figuring out food ingredients please let me know. But Chicken Soup is definitely full of grains, decent quality but still grains so I don't think grains would be his issue.
November 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I will check find out the name of our current food and let you know know, you are obviously better at reading ingridients than me lol. If its not the grains, and is actually a food allergy, im sure it is something thats found in the cheap grocery store food, so hopefully the new stuff is full of better ingriedients. But I will still check on that and if it looks good, I'll continue it for a few mths to see if its helped.

When I bathe him, I am only washing the area around his neck, and I only use soap every other week. I have to bath him once a week, he scratches around the cone and it gets nasty if I dont keep it clean. Ive tried covering the spot with a bandage and then placing the cone on but he just scratches right through it. I still bandage him every few days and allow a few days for it to air out. it got infected over the summer being covered with the heat. The vet told me not to bandage all the time, so it can air out... though with the bandage on and changed daily, it got better.. but now he's just being a little snot... and my kids think his cone is a punishment and take if off every chance they get...

When I do bathe him with shampoo I've been using baby shampoo... cuz I didnt know if his reg flea shampoo would irritate him more. Maybe the baby shampoo isnt the right choice. Do you think it would help if I got him an oatmeal shampoo? I use vet script oatmeal shampoo on my Boxer mix cuz he has issues with eating wasps and his skin gets red and irritated. but he doesnt scratch like bob does. Do they make oatmeal shampoo for cats... I'll have to look.. or would an oatmeal baby wash be just as effective? I dont want to dry his skin out, cuz that would so not be helpful, but I have to wash his sore once a week or it gets nasty from his constant scratching.

I just dont know.. ive tried so many different things. its driving me mad. I feel like I have a new baby in the house. lol

November 14th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah don't use baby shampoo it is not PH balanced for cats (or dogs) and don't use soap for the same reason (and definitely no flea shampoo). Petsmart/PetCo both sell Earth Bath or Blue Buffalo's spa botanicles both of those would be your best bet (you can get them online too) as they're made for cats and are also soap free.

Amazon.com: Earthbath All Natural Cat Shampoo and Conditioner in 1, 16-Ounce: Home & Garden: Reviews, Prices & more

I'd be washing that sore everyday and putting some Neosporin on it and making sure he cannot scratch at it (ie the cone). If you wash and dry it once a day and put Neosporin on it 1-2 times a day and keep the cone on (you just need to explain to the kids that that is OFF LIMITS for them) it should clear up in a week or so at the longest.
November 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i hope your kitty gets some relief soon!!

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

November 15th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Again Meghan, thanks so much for all your help! And Thanks Kristy! I hope all my money fixes this.. lmao. I'll report back in a few weeks if theres any change at all!

November 15th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh just an FYI on the foods. If you try a high end food and it doesn't work and you switch to something else all of those foods have a 100% satisfaction guarantee so you can return them to where you purchased them for a full refund even if they're open. So don't feel like you're forced to finish it or whatever or lose your money.

Oh the litter sorry never heard of Woody's litter before.

For cleaning it I'd stick with a mild shampoo, water, and Neosporin DAILY. I'd wash it twice a day and put some Neosporin on once a day (like before bed) and make sure the cone is doing what it's supposed to so he can't get to it and let air get to it. You may want to take him to the vet and have the hair that is around it shaved off as hair itself can infect the area and cause issues. It'll grow back. If that doesn't work along with being put back on a higher quality food I'd recommend you take him to a veterinary dermatologist.
November 15th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks again! T & Ps he doesnt have to go back to the vet, they just look at me like im an idiot. And he's been to two different places. twice in our old town to the reg vet and once in the new town. All they tell me is hes allergic to something and want me to give him cortisone shots weekly. Hes lived in my house for 6 years with no issues, why in the last year, would I need to give him weekly shots... it has to be related tosomething new... I will get to the bottom of this and if all im gonna try doesnt work, he'll be going to a totally new vet.

November 15th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Actually that's an incorrect statement. You can become allergic to something overnight (or seemingly so). So just because he's had the same stuff for X number of years doesn't mean absolutely anything...in fact there's a BIGGER chance of animals fed the same diet, water, and environmental factors that they will become allergic to something because it takes time for that to build up. So yep it's very possible he can be allergic to a food tomorrow that he didn't seem allergic to a week ago. Very possible he can be allergic to the laundry detergent you've used for the past 10 years. So that's not true unfortunately and a very common misconception.

Which is why I recommended a veterinary dermatologist. They're a specialist and that's all they deal with is allergies and skin issues and they don't look at you like you're nuts or treat you like you're stupid. I'd also recommend a skin scraping before putting ANYTHING other than a mild shampoo and mild antibiotic on his skin issue. I'd also make sure the hair is shaved in that area to provide better ventilation and to aide in healing.
November 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM
There is no hair on the area at the moment, so shaving isnt an issue. the hair started to grow back, but has since been scratched away again. I would take a picture, but you really dont want to see it...amazingly it looks wonderful compared to how it looked on his first vet visit. He had actually opened up the skin the first time. but that has not happened again, the area just stays raw now.

Okay so this is how the day went....

I finally got out to the store, and I looked for the Natural Balance... only to find.. that they dont sell it... its Nature's something by Nutru or whatever that they sell, they also sell the blue buffalo there as well, but I just went ahead and got the 4health, since he's been on it for a week now. It says, no wheat, no corn, no soy on the bag and ive read thats some of the common allergies in cats.

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, egg product, ground rice, powdered cellulose, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), salmon, potatoes, millet, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, ocean fish meal, sodium bisulfate, potassium chloride, methionine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, taurine, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-Carnitine, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Let me know what you think about that, I only bought the small bag incase I need to change it later on.

I couldnt find any litter that wasn't clay or crystal, except for Feline Pine, which Ive heard does not keep in odors... but it is chemical free... and thats my main concern, I bought a small bag to test it out...

Bob lives in a closet... its actually a linen type closet in the laundry room..(well he doesnt live there, but thats where all his stuff is lol) I remodelled the closet, taking the bottom shelves out to put the litter box, and his food bowl sits on the next shelf up, and theres a little nook shelf where he lays sometimes... but anyway im just explaining this cuz I went ahead and cleaned the entire area out, vacuumed it out to get any loose crystal litter out. scrubbed the litter box clean and dried it out. put the new stuff in there.

Then I gave Bob a bath, using the blue buffalo shampoo you recommended. He sat in the sink like he was in heaven... I washed his feet, his belly, everything and he just loved it. Aftewards I put a hydrocortisone cream that I also purchased at the feed store, thats made for dogs, cats and horses, thats supposed to kick in quickly and last for hours, and SAYs a noticeable difference will be apparent in 4-5 days...

Then I put his hat back on and now he's sleeping peacfully in a box, and hasnt scratched at all in the last 3 hrs.... but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

So now I wait and see.... in the meantime I'll be trying to see if I can find a vet dermatoligist in my area just in case. Thanks Meghan!

November 15th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well if you want to e-mail it to me you can send it to me at Mommie2One4Ever@aol.com trust me there's not much by way of grossness I ahven't seen with animals.
November 15th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ingredient wise the food is fine, but it's only fine if he isn't allergic to any of those ingredients and unfortunately nobody can tell you that. But there's no major nasties that jump out at me so for all intents and purposes I would say it's fine providing he doesn't have an allergy to anything in it.

Oh yes I used that feline pine a long time ago. Messy stuff, just make sure to clean it frequently. And no it doesn't do anything for odors so just be aware so you're not knocked over LoL.

Be careful with hydrocortisone creams, if used too much/too long they actually thin and damage the skin so be very careful with that. I'd recommend something more natural like Coconut oil or Neem oil (or a combo of both), but a couple of days won't hurt I just wouldn't use it more than 3 days at the most.

Good luck!
November 15th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah the tube says no more than 4 days use and that there should be a difference within that time. I marked it on my calendar, so I know lol as a mommy, I have to write things down.. ugh.

it looks like the 4health and the chicken soup have alot of the same ingridients, so hopefully theres nothing in it that he's allergic too. I still need to pull up the friskies food and see if anything stands out in the ingridient list. He's also had meow mix, so maybe I can find a common link.

Im not looking foward to the pine... I hav two cats.. Im gonna have to follow them around all day to keep it clean. Ive used something similar as a guinea pig bedding and OMG I hated it. It really did knock you down.

And I will send you a picture in just a few minutes.

November 15th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well Friskies is FULL of corn, by products, and soy, all are HUGE allergens and not very healthy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search