Cat Litter...need opinions.

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2010, 12:46 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Just something I realized while cleaning the litterbox today... but I started using a new litter back when Bob started with his scratching...

It was recommended by a friend, and I didnt even think to check it out... Ive been using it for months... I love it cuz its really good with odors.

Anyway.. so looked at the bag.. and there is no ingriedient list... so I went to the website thats listed on the back...

I have found one, its made in China... and two its made with SiO2, which is all the website says... its very vague which in turns worries me.

Heres the website... the litter is called Mimi's litter and I get it at walmart.

MAKALL GROUP-the largest manufacturer of silica gel series in Asia

I have been researching SiO2 which is silca gel.. and have found many dangers about it, expecially ingesting it...

I havent found anything that is skin related.

What do you think? Could that be the problem?

I am going out the moment DH gets home and getting a new litter. Even if its not the reason Bob is scratching, I still dont like the dangers in this litter and the vague ingridients.

Is there a litter that you recommend?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
November 15th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I only ever use Ever Clean litter. I get it at PetSmart or PetCo (never seen it anywhere else but they may sell it other places). I have tried every litter on the planet and it's the only one I've found that really is tough on odors. Been using it for a good 4 years now with 3 and now 2 cats and never had an issue with it. It's a little pricey but it lasts a good long while and really works.
November 15th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks Meghan, I will check the place I go for food and see if they have it. Is it a clay litter or what?

Do you think the litter could be related to Bob's skin problem?

Im even thinking about getting a new litterbox while Im out..

November 15th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
They probably don't. I've only ever seen it in specialty pet stores or feed stores.

If you're stuck with places like Walmart, Target, etc then I'd recommend Fresh Step or Arm and Hammer.

If you don't have a covered box then it's doubtful IMO. I've honestly never heard of a cat being allergic to litter. Not to mention I would think it'd bother his feet more than his neck if that were the case. No need for a new box. If you're that concerned just take some dawn dishsoap and a bristle brush and scrub the box you already have. It'll take off anything and will be the same as a new one.
November 15th, 2010, 01:45 PM
The place I go for good pet food is a feed store. They carry all the good foods, blue buffalo, natural balance.. ive nevre looked at the litter so hopefully I can find something good.

we do have a covered box. I just recently took the top off though, because Bob wasnt able to get inside well with his cone head.

Have you heard anything about Woodys cat litter? I did some research on allergens with Litter and found alot of people switched to Woodys for their cats skin conditions.

I will take your advice and scrub the box with soap before puttin in the new litter.

Ive also read that people use vagisil on cats skin rashes... what do you think about that? I plan to also pick up some of that shampoo you recommended if I can find it. If not I'll be ordering it online and keeping with the neosporin.

If all this doesnt work, then bless his heart, cuz I dont know what else to do. Thank you so much for all your help and information.

November 15th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Haha sorry when you said food I thought you meant people food ie grocery shopping LoL.

No don't use vagisil it's for yeast only. I'd stick with a mild cat shampoo, water, and Neosporin. If that doesn't work he needs to go to the vet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search