A question about crate training and food.

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM
My3Boys64's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My puppies are doing sooo well! They will be 6 weeks on Sunday and they are already eating solid puppy food! They are the most adorable little guys and we love having them around! They are starting to play and romp around and the kids love playing with them now - they are certainly getting well socialized with kids. : ) My question about the food is for Mommy2one(?) - I am getting a Costco membership so that I can buy their puppy/dog food, I have also convinced the people who are taking their pups home in 2 weeks to buy the food from Costco (we are going to buy each owner a bag to start with) but I do not know the name - is it just Costco brand dog food?? Also, my neighbor hunts and sells venison - we are moving hopefully next month or so and getting a deep freeze so I was thinking about buying some for the pup - is that a good idea?
My next question is - I am going to be putting the puppy in a crate (until he is trained) if we leave the house or have a difficult time potty training. There is a great sale at Petsmart on black friday and I plan to buy a crate then. They have a wire crate and a plastic crate and I am wondering if the plastic crate would be better b/c it feels more enclosed and den-like? Would the puppy be more likely to soil his crate if I get the wire one? I am considering the wire crate b/c he will feel less secluded and its easier to clean.
Now, I will share a few pictures : )

Danielle - Mama to William 02-05-08, Jackson 11-20-09 & Mason 09-08-11.
November 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not who you addressed, and I don't know anything about the food, but I trained both my pups on wire crates and they seemed to do great. (Well Lola had a hard time at first) They both love their crates even though they are trained, and they sleep in there at night. Even if we're all in the living room sometimes one or both of them will just hang out in there, get a toy, take a nap, etc. They're also really easy to break down if we go anywhere cause they kind of fold in on themselves. Hope that helps!

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
November 24th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great adn they're adorable!

Yes the food is just the Costco food. If I remember right the puppy food is in a 20 pound yellow bag and it's Kirkland Signature puppy food. Once they're adults I would recommend the grain free food that's either by Nature's Domain or Pelican Bay depending on what part of the country you're in, it comes in a white bag at Costco only. If that's not in the budget then the Costco adult food is fine. They should be switched to adult food at 6 months old. Yes Venison is GREAT! Cooked or raw and the bones would be great for them to chew on too. You can add it to every meal or a few times a week or whatever. Just make sure to cut back on kibble at those meals or you'll end up with an overweight dog. But fresh meat/fish is always wonderful!

On crate training I'd skip the ones at the pet store. Go on e-bay you can get one with a divider big enough for the pup (you'll want a 42 inch crate with a divider) wire for around $70 (free shipping and I doubt any pet store can beat that even on Black Friday. I have 3 crates and got them all off e-bay brand new. I'd recommend wire. They don't pick up the smell that plastic ones do and the dogs tend to like to see out better. Either one is fine for potty training you won't get soiling more or less but most dogs prefer the wire ones (they're also easier to fold and travel with and clean and such also). I had a plastic one and actually sold it and got a wire one instead because they're much easier. Just make sure to get one with a divider or you'll be buying about 3 of them. You want the space to only be big enough to stand up, lay down, and turn around in although I wouldn't start crate training until 8 or 9 weeks old.

Hope that helps some and you're always welcome to PM or e-mail me too
November 24th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks ladies! I already gave the pups hamburger and venison the last few days and they devoured it! LOL I know what you are saying about lowering the amount of dog food though - we always fed Lucy from our dinners, every night. The vet knew this and just told us to watch her weight. When she got pregnant (but we did not know it yet) we started freaking out thinking we where feeding her too much - but I kept telling DH she was eating nothing more than normal! We where somewhat relieved when we realized it was her pregnancy and not the food we fed her!
I am going to go with the wire crate - and don't worry, I was not going to start using it until the other pups are gone and its just my pup (around 8.5 - 9 weeks). I was going to buy the 36x25x27 half off at $35!! But maybe thats too big huh? Do they sell dividers at Petsmart? I will have to check. I really had planned on only buying a medium sized one b/c I did not plan to use it later - we have always had adult dogs, but we train them to stay out during the day (and anyway I stay home now, so his alone time would be minimal). I do know how pit bulls and boxers chew though - so I guess you never know, I may need a crate for when I leave, even when he is grown. Speaking of that - I am working on training the pups even now for dominance. I have fostered and trained a few pit bulls, but never this young and I am not quite sure what I should and should not be doing at this young age. So far, I am concentrating on socializing them well in the house (since they cannot be out for a few weeks yet). I have them out with the kids alot and run the vacuum etc. so they are used to being handled and loud noises. When we play I do not let them bite anyone (I am not sure if this is necessary at this age, but I figured better not let them do it ever), when they mouthe in play I usually grab their nose and look them in the eye and say "No Bite!". Then I place a toy in their mouth instead. I also do not let them play tug of war - I know sometimes you can play and just make sure you win, but I don't want the kids tugging with the pups, so I tell them not to. I make a point of rolling them over on their back during play so they are comfortable with that, as well as looking in their eyes in play (I don't want them to feel like it is a challenge when someone looks in their eyes, so I do it often during cuddling or play time) I want to make sure the pups understand that all people are dominant over them, even the kids. Especially T-Bone (our pup) because he is the dominant pup. I think it is actually good that we will have the dominant pup b/c he is the most confident and comfortable with the kids. He can handle their rough and loud ways, in fact, he loves playing with the kids and is already very tough, (of course, I watch to make sure they don't hurt him). The other pups often get scared and hide or just come to me to try and cuddle, but T-Bone likes to play with them all the time - I think he got that Boxer energy! : ) I am putting my hands in their food bowl all the time and letting the kids do the same. I am also starting to teach the William how to tell the pups "No" when they bite and how to call them. He is doing well, and I see the pups already listening to him alot. If anyone has any tips or thinks I am doing too much too early - or not enough - let me know. Raising pups this young is something I am completely unsure about and I am basically going with my instincts at this point!

Is the Costco brand food grain free? I had never even realized dog food is grain based but it makes no sense - its like its a filler - like mcdonalds for dogs - obviosly it is not what they are made to eat and I would rather give my dog proper food. Ever since we bought the California Natural and I explained the food to DH he has been telling everyone about it and getting tons of people to switch

November 24th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's WAY too big for now, but for that breed you will need a 42 inch one not a 36 36 will be too small by the time that pup is 6 months old. No you have to get the divider with the crate in order for it to fit properly. They're very common and not hard to find the crate that comes with the divider.

I'd also caution against feeding your new pup off your plate. Human food by way of boiled chicken or venison or ground beef or raw meats that are unseasoned are GREAT however most people add stuff to their food and things like garlic powder, onion powder, bbq sauce, and others can be toxic to dogs so table scraps are not good and not recommended for any animal however human food (ie non table scraps) are a great source of protein and nutrients.

I will say my first Boxer was 5 before we could leave him out of his crate when we were gone or sleeping and my current Boxer is 3 1/2 and still cannot be trusted out of his crate. Boxers chew chew chew and it's not just chewing but they get into things, counter surf, among other things. Crates are just as much for their protection as they are for potty training and protecting your home and Boxers are very much puppies until they're 3-4 years old for sure. So my recommendation would be to buy one that will fit an adult dog, if you don't end up using it you can easily sell it on Craig's List but better to have it than not in case you DO need it.

I'd recommend reading up on bite inhibition. Teaching your pup to not bite at all is dangerous in the long run. You want to teach them when it is not okay to chomp down. There's a difference. Do a google search on bite inhibition there's TONS of info out there.

Well almost all dog foods on the market have grains in them. Some is okay you just don't want ones with too much. California Natural has grains in it too just an FYI (unless you specifically got the grain free version which is very new). Grain free is not recommended for puppies unless it's an all life stages food such as Taste of the Wild but there aren't many grain free foods that are all life stages. To answer your question, no Costco's brand food is NOT grain free. The only grain free version they carry is either by Nature's Domain or Pelican Bay (the brand depends on what part of the country you're in) which are both made and sold exclusively at Costco. It's a 30 pound bag for $30 and is similar to Taste of the Wild. It's a good idea to rotate dog foods so personally I rotate between the Pelican Bay's grain free and Kirkland signature's regular food (which contains grains). There are some foods that are very grain heavy and some that are not. IMO it's more important to have a food free from BHA/BHT, corn, by products, animal digest, and other nasties than it is to have it be grain free, but if it's something you can afford it's another option and since Costco's grain free version isn't too pricey it's one I've started recommending to folks.

Good luck!
December 1st, 2010, 11:53 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Sounds like you are doing well on training the pups!!

My boxer is a mix (part pointer) but he took on the boxer traits.. I.e. he once pulled up my carpet from one corner across the room when left out of his crate for like 5 mins (at 1 yr old!!) He had the biggest crate you can get, which he lived in from 3 mths on. By the time he was 2 we were able toleave him in the house alone while we were away, but prior to that he was always crated when we were gone. Even after he wasnt crated, he still used his crate as a safe place. he slept in it every night (we kept it in our room) and would go there anytime there was too much going on in the house.

he is 5 now and we have moved, not bringing the crate with us... he now has taken over a chair in the living room as his go to spot. There is always a blanket in it and he will crawl under it.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
December 2nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks again! I am sorry it took me so long to reply, but I did take your advice and I did not buy the crate at Petsmart. I will be ordering one this weekend - any suggestions as to where to buy from? I also looked up bite inhibition (thanks for reminding me of what its called! lol) and I am much more informed now. And about the food - no worries, we knew about the spices and onions and such and really we almost always eat plain chicken, rice, potatoes - that sort of thing. But, if we do eat something with onions or garlic, or say, spaghetti - I always make a plain portion of the meat for the dog. For example; I took the turkey carcas and boiled it, de-boned it and mixed it with rice and saved it in the fridge for the pups to eat with dinner. I also have already bought some venison from my neighbor Pups are doing awsome - heres 2 cute ones I took recently - the one where Roadie is sleeping in the pan cracks me up!

December 2nd, 2010, 08:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh that's okay I haven't been on a lot this week anyway as we had to put our senior Boxer to sleep on Monday and it's been kind of a sad week around here. Trying to deal with that and keep up with work and deal with an upset 9 year old to boot has kept me busier than usual.

They're very cute!

Like I said I always buy mine on e-bay, brand new, free shipping, never paid more than like $70 (and that was for my German Shepherd's BIG crate).

Here's one that would be perfect, large enough, with tray and divider, brand new and $50.

42" Folding Dog Pet Cage Crate Kennel w/ Divider & Tray - eBay (item 380281418319 end time Dec-20-10 14:18:06 PST)

On food I'd skip the rice. It's a grain/starch really has no nutritional value unless you're trying to help with diarrhea. If you're feeding a good quality kibble, just adding some additional protein is sufficient for them as dogs are really carnivores.

Last edited by SpazTaz; December 2nd, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
December 3rd, 2010, 06:24 AM
Yeah, they have been having really runny poops - so we are trying to stop that. The rice is helping.
I am soooo sorry to hear about your boxer. I hope your son is alright.
Thanks for the link! Thats a great deal so I will just order that one!

December 3rd, 2010, 06:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Just remember #1 reason for loose stools is overfeeding and most people tend to overfeed their puppies. So maybe cut back on some of their food and see if that helps a bit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search