Dog Spaying

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Meghan, thank you for the information on how to get a spaying voucher for our puppy. We did get it on Friday! I thought it'd be easy breezy. However, Lola decided to start going into heat on Sunday. Grrr. It's not too big of a deal, our vet is going to go ahead and spay her tomorrow, it's just going to cost me a little more. That's ok. The important part is that it's getting done and I just wanted to say thank you so much for your help!!!

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
December 6th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh you're welcome! Yeah they can still spay them while in heat (it's done in rescue frequently) there's just a little more involved so they usually tack on another $20-$30 (sometimes more or less depending on where you live). SO glad to hear you guys are getting her spayed and I'm sure she'll come through with flying colors!

Good luck and let us know how she does
December 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Will do! I had to put her outside today, but we have another (fixed) dog and I hope that they're ok for now. She's bleeding and I read that she won't let other dogs near her while she's bleeding. Which is true, I saw it. She freaked out when Seamus was even behind her. (And he's the type that when she says back off, he does! Even though he's older than she is.) Couldn't she have just waited a couple more days though! Haha!

December 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
PLEASE be careful with that. Other intact males will still try to tie with her and she may not be real receptive to it but doesn't mean they won't jump your wall trying and end up in a fight in order to get to her. They have dog diapers you can purchase or put her in a crate with a blanket if you can't get to the store, but I absolutely would not leave her unattended while she's in heat. Only takes 2 seconds for them to tie and the deed to be done or to end up in a horrific fight and a male dog can smell her a couple of miles away and can and will do anything to get to her (and she may can and will do anything to get out), so I would highly highly not recommend this. Dog diapers, crate, garage, someplace where another intact male cannot get to her.
December 6th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks Meghan. I got DH talked into crating her when he goes to work. She'll be in there from 2-5. I had DH crate the other dog too so she'd have company (and so she wouldn't think that we were treating him prefferentially). I really appreciate all your advice! So so much!!!

December 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's probably the best idea and 3 hours is fine. When you say crate the other one too I'm assuming you mean separately right?

(just for future refernece, dogs aren't people, they don't take things personally, you can crate one and not the other and it's fine )
December 6th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Yes they are separate, but right by each other. I know they don't take things personally, haha. Mostly I just didn't want her to be totally lonely. Even though she'll probably just sleep. They're the only kids I have so far, and so I'm considering it good practice not to pick a favorite.

December 7th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Update so far. Lola is NOT thrilled at having been left at the vet. She tried to run through a glass door.... Poor little girl was shaking. And she's a people person too! Do you think she knows what the vet is gonna do?

December 7th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No, but the vet's office has different smells and energies. Most dogs do not like going. And if she's ever had a negative experience there that could be a culprit as well. I always take treats with me so if they start getting nervous you can distract them and give them treats that way they associate that place with something good.

But no she does not know what is going on (which part of the reason she's scared). They'll give her some meds to calm her down and all will be just fine. Good luck! Just make sure you have some type of E-collar on hand at home in case you need it and to keep her quiet and no activity for a few days and all will be just fine.
December 7th, 2010, 07:43 AM
We couldn't give her food after 6 last night. So no treats this morning. But I'll definitely give her some when we get home today. Only 6 hours and 15 minutes till I can pick her up. Usually she doesn't mind the vet. I think it's because she was in there with me rather than her daddy. When DH takes her she's easy peasy. She's such a daddy's girl....

December 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_for_BabyMcD View Post
We couldn't give her food after 6 last night. So no treats this morning. But I'll definitely give her some when we get home today. Only 6 hours and 15 minutes till I can pick her up. Usually she doesn't mind the vet. I think it's because she was in there with me rather than her daddy. When DH takes her she's easy peasy. She's such a daddy's girl....
Yeah I just meant in general. I wouldn't recommend (and most vets say the same) any food at all today just small bits of water when she comes home. In dogs, like people, anesthesia can cause vomiting so food today isn't usually a good idea (she probably won't want it anyway) as you don't want them retching and putting strain on those stitches. Just small bits of water and then start with SMALL meals tomorrow so you know it's going to stay down.

Good luck.
December 7th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Oh, ok! Will do.

December 7th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Lola is home and doing well. Per the vets instructions I am giving her 4 ounces of water every thirty minutes. She was keeping it down but she spit some up. She is soooo dopey though. Maybe tomorrow we can get some food in her.

December 7th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When my dog got really sick he went 9 days without eating, so 1-2 isn't gonna hurt her at all so don't stress over the food. Water is the important thing but they gvae her IV fluds so she may not be terribly thirsty today either. Also don't be surprised if she has a really gross BM at some point from the drugs.

She should be close if not all the way back to her old self tomorrow. Glad she's doing well and everything went okay and she's spayed
December 7th, 2010, 07:11 PM
She hasn't had a BM yet. Mostly I attributed that to lack of food. I think you're right about being on the way to being back to herself. We call her thundertail cause she just has this tail that when it whacks against something its so loud. She's sleepin in her kennel and when I tried to get her up to go outside she wouldn't move but her tail was just thunk, thunk, thunkin. Soooo funny.

December 8th, 2010, 06:30 AM
She's doing great this morning. Ate a little and drank some. Pretty energetic even though she's moving a little bit slow. Woohoo. She did throw up once last night, but she seems better now! Yay.

December 8th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great. Yeah it's not uncommon for animals or people to puke once or twice after being put under.

Just make sure to keep her calm for a few days to give that incision time to heal. Crates are a wonderful thing after surgery LoL.
December 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM
She was baying in her crate so DH is sleeping on the couch with her right now. I think he's going to fix up our tiled dining room for her when he goes to work. He won't listen to me about crating her, and I'm at work and can only do so much. I agreed to let him put her in the dining room and to make sure she has lots of toys, not too much water, and puts bitter apple on the furniture so she doesn't chew it up. (Not that we've ever had a problem wit her doing that before, but you never know.) At least if she poos or something in there, it's tile and it's easy for me to clean up. I'm a little mad at him right now to tell you the truth. The vet did say that a little exercise today for her wouldn't be too bad. He also said (and I forgot to mention this) that her stitches are subcutaneous so she should heal pretty fast.

December 8th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh yeah she should be given free access to water at this point, no reason to limit it. Food go in slow spurts but regular water is fine.

Yes they heal quickly but it still takes 7-10 days.
December 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh and lastly if you guys have to leave her alone for more than a few minutes, make sure to put an E-collar (or some other device that accomplishes the same thing) on her even if she hasn't been messing with the stitches, when left alone and gets bored she just might and it can kill her if she rips those out so make sure to put that on her when you guys are gone or cannot be watching her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search