My dog is acting WEIRD

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
So we have a 3 year old beagle mix. This all started on Saturday evening. DH was downstairs in the family room watching TV and the dog (Charlie) was sitting in front of the chair. All of a sudden he looks up towards the ceiling and whines, then runs upstairs and wants to go outside. DH lets him out back, and he runs behind one of our big bushes and hides. Then he won't come back inside. We're finally able to get him back inside, but now all he does is lay under our bed and won't come out. He layed there all day yesterday, wouldn't even go outside or come upstairs to eat or drink (our bedroom is downstairs). About midnight last night I could hear him whining, which means he wants to go outside. Only thing is, is that he's still under the bed. I finally coax him out, and he acts all excited to see me. Licking my face and wagging his tail. Then he's all cautious as he's walking towards the door like he expects someone to jump out and scare him. I take him out back, and he pees. Then he just sits there, in the snow. I call him and call him for about 2-3 minutes, and he finally comes back inside, only to slink back under the bed as quick as he can. All through the night I could hear him just softly whining under the bed. Then when DH left for work this morning, he had to leave Charlie outside because he would not come back in the house.

There's 2 possible options that I can think of to explain this behavior:

1) our house is haunted and he saw a ghost

2) since he was a puppy he has had chronic fungal infections in his ears. We've medicated and medicated but they always seem to come back. Is it possible that he has suddenly lost his hearing because of this and doesn't know how to handle it? I'm pretty sure I saw him turn his head towards me when I called him last night, but I can't be 100% postitive.

Anyone else dealt with a dog doing this?
December 13th, 2010, 07:21 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thats interesting. I havent had any of my dogs do that. Sounds ghostly to me but maybe call and ask a local trainer or vet.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 13th, 2010, 11:03 AM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
I would call your Vet and get his ears checked, just to rule out medical causes and in the meantime keep a close eye on him. If you look in his ears are they clean or do they have discharge or a smell?
December 13th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would make a vet appointment to make sure everything is okay medically. If your pup gets a clean bill of health then I'd recommend a behaviorist.

Good luck.
December 18th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Poor baby! Sounds like he's scared of something, but is he shaking his head, scratching at his ears, or do they smell funky, like bready?

See if your vet can test his hearing and reflexes. I hope it's nothing serious!
December 19th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
So just wanted to update you all. He is feeling much better now, and back to his old self (digging in the garbage when we forget to pick it up and laying under our feet at dinner time waiting for a table scrap or 2). Apparently he had a little bit of a cold bug. Other than that, he's a very healthy 3 year old dog. Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad to know that our house is in fact not haunted.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search