Pyometra

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
Has anyone ever dealt with this?

We lost our longhaired Daschund 3 years ago to this. She was only 7 years old. I had never heard of it before this happened. We chose not to get her spayed because she was a papered dog, but we also never ended up breeding her either. Whenever I talk to people that haven't spayed or neutered their animals yet, I let them know about this horrible situation. I've never felt so guilty about something in all my life. Just curious if anyone else has dealt with it before.
December 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
I haven't had an animal of my own who has had Pyometra, but when I was going through my VA classes we watched part of a Spay and the dog happened to have a small Pyometra.

In addition to Pyometra, keeping your female dogs intact raises their risk of Mammary Cancer sky high. Last year we had to put our RottXAussie down because she developed a very aggressive Mammary Cancer. My Mom follows the more old school belief that letting a dog experience at least one heat is better for them mentally, and helps them mature. Well, the one heat turned into never, and she even had an "oops" when the neighbor's American Spitz got in the yard and impregnated her.

I'm a BIG advocate of Spay/Neuter. I'm sorry you lost your girl to it though, it's a hard thing to deal with. I very much regret not convincing my Mother to spay ours years ago, but I was still a child.
December 13th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No I'm sorry, only had one female dog (the rest have been males) and she was spayed. Even papered, unless you are going to show your dog, have them win conformations, and then do the appropriate (and expensive) health and temperament testing on them for their breed definitely spay and neuter. It makes everyone happier in the long run.

Very sorry for your loss.
March 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I havent had a dog who has had it (i have only had males) but i think every female who isnt getting bred should be spayed for the very reason that pyo is so dangerous. My OHs aunt had a dog die at 3 from pyo...
March 9th, 2011, 08:06 AM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
We had a dog die of this. We got her when she was over 20 years old (shih-tzu.) She was my husbands dads dog and when he died we took her. We talked with the vet about having her spayed for exactly this reason and he told us that she would likely not survive the surgery due to her age. Dogs that old dont handle anesthesia well. We had her for about 4 years when she got pyometria and I knew right away what she had (on fathers day none the less) and I had DH take her to the vet right away to have her euthanized. There was just no saving her, she was really suffering. It is such a terrible thing.

It was very sad, but I too am always telling people how important it is to have their dogs spayed. No pet owner should have to see their dog go through that, and it is so preventable!!

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy

Last edited by BusyMom4; March 9th, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
March 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww I'm so sorry about you ladies losing your dogs to that

We thought Jasmine had it after her first heat cycle, but thankfully, it was nothing major. She was spayed a couple months later. I had intentions of breeding her, had starting health testing (eyes, PFK, PRA, etc), and was starting training for hunting, but after that heat cycle, the pyo scare, and just the hassle of her being in heat, I decided I was content with her just being a pet.

On another note to promote spay/neuter... my cousin never had any of her animals fixed, ever. Not even the cats. Her male maine coon, beautiful, gorgeous kitty, Moose.. actually, we had him since birth.. escaped the house and was gone a few weeks. When they found him, he was incredibly nasty. Took him to the vet, he had feline AIDS. They could have kept him alive and the other cats in the house would have gotten sick but been fine the vet said, but he was too nasty. He was put to sleep when he was only 2 years old. What a shame and a waste of life. If he had been neutered, he'd still be around today.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search