Helping my mom - have a few ?s

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi All,
I recently lost my dad who used to take care of my parents' family pet, a black Lab named Petra. My dad was the one that oversaw most of her care (vaccinations, vet visits, food etc) and now that he's gone I told my mom I would make sure that she continues to get good care.

She's currently eating Kirkland dog food which I plan on changing to Orijen or Wellness Core over the next few weeks. I'm just wondering if anyone has any comments about those 2 brands.

I also called the vet to double check when her rabies shot was due and it looks like she got the 3-year so she's okay until 2011 for that.

Any other tips or things I should be looking into? TIA

December 17th, 2010, 02:42 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First off, I am really sorry for the loss of your dad. I can't imagine how hard that must be.

Orijen and Wellness are both excellent, trustworthy brands. No recalls, good customer service, quality ingredients. I'd say a good pick in either.

If you want to keep her up to date on other shots like distemper, parvo, etc., check with the vet on that. I personally give a round as a pup, a round at 1 year, and never again unless we HAVE to (for boarding). But its up to you.

To help your mom out I'd also invest in a deshedding brush. Labs are notorious for the shedding as I'm sure you know. You could get something like a furminator but thats pricey.. I personally like Zoom Groom's, they are little rubber brushes that are $7-10 at Petsmart. You just massage the dog and they love it.

Good luck

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 17th, 2010, 03:02 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is there a particular reason you don't want to leave her on Kirkland brand food? It is a really good food.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
December 17th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Kirkland food is a decent food. If you're looking for grain free they also now have either Nature's Domain or Pelican Bay sold at Costcos only that is a good grain free option at an affordable price. Labs are notorious for sensitive stomachs as well as getting chunky so Orijin where it's a good food it's really high in fat and protein and she will need TONS of exercise or she will probably gain weight on it so you may want to go with a lower protein/fat food (than Orijin) unless she gets plenty of exercise. I also personally give fish oil daily to my 2 dogs.

I agree with the poster on I do the puppy series, the 1 year vaccination and then *usually* never again though I personally titer every 3 years to make sure the immunities are still strong.

The furminator I got on e-bay for cheap so if you want to get that it works GREAT for my GSD and e-bay has great prices on them. If you live in an area where mosquitos are prevelant you'll want to put her on a heartworm prevention.

That's about it off the top of my head. If you have any specific questions please feel free to ask .

And very sorry to hear about your dad, but kudos for stepping up and taking care of Petra.
December 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
My only advice is to buy LOTS of chew toys. You didn't mention how old the dog was, but labs just never grow out of that chewing stage. My labs love Dingos and now that it's the holidays, they have ones in wreath shapes! They seem to really love those.
December 21st, 2010, 12:49 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
So sorry to hear about your dad.
How is Petra doing?

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search