Another Question relating to our pomeranian

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2010, 10:07 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
Background info;
I live with my parents and 2 younger sisters, ages 5 (almost 6) and 8.
We got the pomeranian last year during the summer, and I was not amused...
I was pregnant and we REALLY didn't need another dog, but my parents insisted we did.

Fast forward to now;
The dog is just a heap of issues..
He pees on everything..
My sisters have a habit of bringing their blankets out of their room and just dropping them on the floor when they get up, and he proceeds to pee on it. He's peed on our Christmas tree at least 3 times a day since we got it last weekend.
Tonight, he even peed on my mom's leg!!!
He poops wherever he pleases and only uses his door bell when he wants attention or a treat.

Lately, as in the past month and a half or so, he growls at me when I go near him most times.
The morning is the worst. I will get up, go to grab something he's lying near and he starts snarling like he's going to attack. Usually I pick him up (hands covered by my blanket, or I'll use my blanket to do so, since I fully expect he'd bite if I had skin showing) and put him on the floor to say it is NOT okay to growl like that, then say "NO" firmly. Once his feet touch the floor, he's growling and snarling even louder, then stops and walks away.

If he does something he isn't supposed to do (Like pee on something, poop somewhere, or destroys yet another pacifier.. We're up to at least 30 he's destroyed), he does the same thing with snarling when I walk by.

I THINK it started when my youngest sister started to pick him up when he did something he shouldn't. As far as she is concerned, nobody should say "No" to him, or do anything involving a "punishment" (Such as crating or showing him a chewed pacifier he KNOWS he chewed and saying "No") because it is "Mean".
She started squeezing him when someone tried to remove him from her arms, so he started growling and snarling. A few times she's squeezed pretty hard.
My parents have told her time and time again that she is NOT allowed to do that, but she ignores them because that is "mean",too.

I'm worried that he'll get "angry" with me and proceed to bite/snap at my DD..and if that ever happens, my mom would literally have 5 minutes to do something before I call the police and have him quarantined. It's just not okay.

Anyone have tips for getting him to stop snapping/growling at me when I walk by? It's seriously getting on my nerves. I didn't do anything to him, so I just don't get why he's like this!

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
December 18th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
It would appear that he is not a fan of being picked up. He has associated being picked up and held with negative occurrences (either being squeezed or punished), and the people he associates this with is you and your sister. Dogs respond better to "positive reinforcement" better than punishment. It sounds like the only thing that might better the situation is to treat, treat, and treat him when he exhibits good behavior. Unfortunately dogs seem to have a 6th sense when it comes to people, and he may also be growling at you because he senses you are displeased with him. Talk to him in a high pitched voice and always have a goodie ready for when he does something acceptable. It needs to be made very clear to your little sister that she is not allowed to pick him up. He is a small dog, and no matter how small a person may be, they are still a giant to him and very intimidating and he might eventually feel that he needs to defend himself, especially if he is already associating being picked up by her with having the life squeezed out of him. The housebreaking also needs to be addressed. Since he feels it is okay to relieve himself whenever and wherever he feels, once again you need to reinforce him with treats and love when he goes potty outside where he is supposed to. My MIL just recently got a Pomeranian, and as cute as they are, they just have this spunky, smug personality that makes it seem they think the world revolves around them. It will definitely take some time and work on your end, but I believe any dog can be trained.
December 18th, 2010, 09:43 AM
He actually likes her still..
He asks her to be picked up (runs over and jumps up with his front paws up.. it's hard to explain), as well as asks my mom and stepdad. He loves being held..
Which is also strange to me.. If she squeezes him, why does he go back to her, but hate me??

December 18th, 2010, 10:51 AM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
Is he neutered? It sounds like many of his problems are territory/dominance related...

It's going to take a lot of time and a lot of consistency to fix this situation, and your sisters need to understand that he needs a time out just like they do. It's not being mean, it's just how things have to be if they don't want pee soaked blankets.
December 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Picking dogs up elevates their level. So when you pick him up because he's growling you're telling him it's okay to growl at you...hence the reason he continues to do it. I would recommend moving him with your body instead. Don't back him into a corner but continue to move towards him and back him away from whatever he is getting territorial of. He runs the household and he knows it. First off showing him a pacifier he's chewed and telling him no does nothing (unless you catch him directly in the act).

With your sister, I think someone needs to sit down with her and explain that the way he is right now isn't healthy for him or the other people in the house. Having urine and feces in the house all of the time is extremely unsanitary and unhealthful especially with such young children living there. But also keep it in perspective...to a 6 and 8 year old hwen they get in trouble mom and dad are being "mean" so they associate the same thing with the dog. I'd talk to them and try and make them understand dogs aren't people, they NEED that in order to be healthy, maybe read a dog behavior book to them to help. And also let them know they are not in charge of the dog, the adults are. Maybe start having the girls help with training the dog, once they see a better behaved pup they may be more inclined to be okay with rules and boundaries.

I'd also recommend crate training and then start over with potty training 101. Take him out every 30-60 minutes, when he goes give TONS of praise and possibly a treat and continue to do this. When you cannot physically watch him put him in his crate and make sure he's never out of your sight until he's potty trained. That will probably also mean professionally cleaning the carpets as if he goes that much in the house he'll smell where he's gone before and continue to go.

On things you don't want him to chew, keep them out of his reach. If you catch him chewing on them take it away tell him "no" and give him something he CAN chew on. Also how much exercise does he get? Any structured walks? If not definitely start. A formal obidience class would be a good idea too.

And if you guys really start to work on the issues and can truthfully tell yourself you have, then you need to get a behaviorist in there to continue to work with you.

Good luck.
December 18th, 2010, 09:36 PM
He's not neutered. I'll be honest here, my parents got him and then after about 4 months began to neglect him. He's fed and gets water..and is brought out sometimes.. But no walks.

I do make eye contact with him and walk towards him until he backs away from what he is growling to defend, and he does back up rather quickly.
Also..
We have hard wood floors.. no carpet.. How can I get the scent of pee off them?

December 18th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMommy View Post
He's not neutered. I'll be honest here, my parents got him and then after about 4 months began to neglect him. He's fed and gets water..and is brought out sometimes.. But no walks.

I do make eye contact with him and walk towards him until he backs away from what he is growling to defend, and he does back up rather quickly.
Also..
We have hard wood floors.. no carpet.. How can I get the scent of pee off them?
plain white vinegar is good.

I'd HIGHLY recommend neutering him, he will be less inclined to mark, but he needs walks, and playtime, and interaction or things will never get better. I wouldn't recommend making eye contact.
December 19th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Rabbit8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to agree with getting him neutered, that alone will help with a lot of the issues with him, including marking inside the house. That'd be my top priority with the dog.

If he's marked on any throw rugs, I'd just toss them at this point. For hard wood floors someone mentioned vinegar which helps, you can also go to the pet stores and get stuff to lift the scent, they have formulas for hardwood floors.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search