My dog has it out for my sofa cushions...

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2010, 04:27 PM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I have two lab puppies, Jake and Jocelyn. Jocelyn is usually the difficult one, but lately Jake has got it into his mind that he wants to destroy pillows..

This includes the cushions on our couch and their dog beds. As of today, he's eaten two dog beds and 4 pillows. This is not due to a lack of chew toys or play time... all he does is chew and play.

I caught him in the act the other day and sent him to the crate, but he's a bit slow and it doesn't seem like he's gotten the correlation between "chew pillow" and "bad dog!"

I don't know what to do. I now have to leave him in the crate during the day and the other one will have to be allowed to roam free (used to be the other way around). Since he's eaten the dog beds I don't wanna put anything in there for him to shred though. That leaves him without anything soft to sit on. And he's prissy like that.

Any suggestions? I don't know how Jocelyn's gonna do tonight without her dog bed in the crate. This is going to be interesting.
December 21st, 2010, 05:30 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would just say he has to be crated when you cant watch him. Unfortunatly his chewing habit is a dangerous one. One of my clients dogs chewed a carpet, it got intertwined into his intestines and he passed away. Safest place for your pup is the crate.

Does he have kongs? if so freeze some peanut butter in it and leave that in the crate with him to occupy his time. Or a nylabone if he chews them. they are safe.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 21st, 2010, 07:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep I agree with the above. My dog ate his blanket in his crate so DO NOT put anything in there with him. Dogs lay on the concrete patios and hard floors he'll survive. My dog ate part of his blanket, the surgery was over $2,000 and it was a 4 week recovery time and we almost lost him so it's not worth it. Safest place is the crate.

If you really have an issue with him not having anything to lay on you can get a Kuranda bed Kuranda Dog Beds - Patented Orthopedic and Chewproof Dog Beds as they are a chewproof bed for dogs. Thy're not cheap but they last forever. My boy, due to his breed, was getting a pressure sore on his chest so I had to get one, it's now over a year old and still looks brand new. HIGHLY recommend them. I paid around $80 (shipping included) for mine for a 42 inch crate.

Honestly though he's doing what he's doing because he has too much energy. Hey may play but do you take him for 1-2 structured walks per day for 30-60 minutes each time? Labs have TONS of energy and are VERY well know for being extremely destructive the first 2-4 years of their lives with chewing and many times it's due to not enough exercise. Dog parks, doggie daycare, structured walks, training sessions (things to work the mind AND body), etc.

If you cannot watch him then for his own safety you will need to crate him. Also DO NOT put him in his crate after he has chewed the pillows. First off the crate then becomes a bad place (NOT GOOD!) secondly he won't make the correlation (as you already saw) anyway so it's pointless and all you will do is make him terrified of a place that should be his den. The crate is not a punishment tool it's a potty training and keeping safe tool.
January 7th, 2011, 04:03 PM
When I first got my little Boston Terrier, he was an absolute terror also!! He destroyed my boyfriend's mother's couch, his box spring mattress, and he actually pulled up bathroom linoleum. All this from a tiny little creature! What I ended up doing was crate training him. As much as I really didn't want to, it actually did help ease his separation anxiety! I only really had to do it for about 3 months and now he's an angel.

January 9th, 2011, 12:24 PM
_danielle_'s Avatar Veteran
When you catch him in the act, trying taking away the item he's destroying and give him one of his chew toys.

Lab puppies can definitely try your nerves at times. I have two yellows. They're 8 years old now (littermates) and I remember the trouble they'd get into when they were pups.

When you can't watch them, it's safest to crate them. Make sure they get tons of exercise, a tired puppy is a good puppy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search