NEED HELP! about my kitten!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sweetiez
Hi so i got two kittens. I LOVE ANIMALS!.. there mom died while she was pregnant with them. She got hit by a car and died ... My two kitten were the only ones to live! ..
Well we were just wanting one. But i couldnt put these two apart!

We named them spunky(gray) and monkey!(Black) We love them!

So, Spunky was peeing and pooping EVERYWHERE!!!!!!! it was horrible. So we brought him into the vet. So they discovered he had worms. So we got him treated. Then he started to do better... But now this LAST week.. he has gotten worse... pooping and PEEING EVERYWHERE but in the litter. Bringing him back to the vet is so expensive. We are unsure if we could afford another trip.
We gave him all his medications for the worms... Before this he was going into the litter just fine.. Im super upset...... I cant stand anymore peeing or poop.
He has pooped 3 times and NOT in the little this was by 11am!. and he peed TWICE..
before he would go in the litter just fine.. why not now????
thanks for ANY ideas
December 26th, 2010, 03:09 PM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Is the litterbox in a high traffic area? If it is, put it somewhere more 'private'. Also, if you have more than one cat, they may prefer more than 1 litter box as well as constant cleaning of the litter.

Some kittens can be stubborn to litter train & you may need to close the cat into an area (if possible) with their litterbox and keep them in there for 24 or more hours.

When they have an accident, take that & put it in the litter. You can also physically set the kitten in the litter first thing in the morning, after eating or drinking etc and try re-training that way.

You will need to thoroughly clean the spots the kitten has had an accident, try to find something that also has a lemon scent as they are not partial to that smell.

Best of luck

December 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How old is your kitten? What food is kitten eating? How long has it been since the worm treatment? I will say sometimes you need 2 worming treatments to get rid of them all. Also could have a possible UTI. Going that much isn't quite normal IMO depending on food and such. If it continues I'd take your kitten back to the vet and get a full blood panel. Given that they are strays and had worms, there may be internal issues that you're not aware of so it'd be a good idea to make sure all internal workings are normal. If all of the medical issues come back fine then I'd suggest the above for sure. And depending on age, it may just take some time, and depending on food that you feed you may want to switch foods, but I can't tell you that without those 2 questions being answered
December 26th, 2010, 04:57 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does the litter box have a cover? If so, try one without a cover. My cat will NOT go in a box with a cover and will instead go right outside of it.

What type of litter are you using? He may not like it. Try switching brands/types. I recommend Worlds Best Cat Litter if you can afford it (check for coupons online) there are no odors or harsh chemicals in it for us to breath in.

Also try setting up 2 boxes. Some cats do NOT share with other cats. Make sure you keep it clean, clean it as often as you can.

I would also not give him free roam of the house until he figures this out. Perhaps you have a laundry room or bathroom he could stay in for a few weeks? Keep him in there with his food, box, and some toys. He won't have too many places to go in this case and will learn to use his box.

Good luck!!

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 31st, 2010, 03:12 PM
BusyMom4's Avatar Veteran
Anytime you are dealing with internal parasites and animals living together, weather it be cats, horses, dogs or whatever it is important to deworm them on the SAME schedule. If you dewormed one kitten, you need to do both, at the same time to break the cycle of the parasites or they will continuously infect each other. Once you have the parasites under control you need to keep them on a consistent schedule, and do them together every time.

You say he poops everywhere, but you didnt say if its diarrhea or not. Diarrhea is very common in kittens, and 90% of the time when you take them to the vet, they will treat them with 5 days of amoxacillin. Yep, just good old oral amoxacillin. It is the same exact stuff that is prescribed for a young child for an ear infection is something like that, only dosed much smaller. My mom works part time as a vets assistant and this has come in so handy for me many times!! My own kitten developed diarrhea and 5 days of amoxacillin cleared him up just fine. If its not, then he is probably just not fully box trained yet. I put my kittens in a cage with the litter box blocking the door for about a week and never had any issues after that.

My best guess would be that he simply is not box trained yet. Good luck, I hope this helps

Big thanks to KimberlyD0 for my amazing siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search