In serious need of some help.

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Super Mommy
I think I've only posted in here a couple times so I hope you all don't mind me popping in to ask for some much needed help. I am on the verge of losing my sanity, and the the thought of throwing my cat out the door has entertained my mind A LOT lately.

before you jump all over me. I wouldn't just throw him out the door but I'm REALLY on my last nerve with him.

He WONT stop picking at ****. We have 2 book cases full of books and I don't know how many he's ruined from chewing on them. He started this habit in the mornings on the weekend, if we slept in and didn't get up to feed him at his usual time. NOW he is doing it several times a day. I figured, ok he must not be getting full from what we feed him so we started to give him bigger portions in the morning and in the evening. he STILL does it. He's doing it right now. I swear. I'm gonna lose it.

Anyone have any advice? Suggestions? Ideas? ever had this happen to you before?

and don't waste your time telling me to get a water gun to squirt him with because it doesn't work. trust me. I've tried.

Help. He's my cat that I got 10 years ago from a rescue, we've been through a lot together, he loves me so much, and I do love him, but I seriously can't handle much more of this.
January 13th, 2011, 01:03 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My cat used to the same thing. He chewed picture frames and ruined them, books, bags, anything plastic, metal...

For Binks the solution was letting him outside. Now that its snowing he wont go out and I think hes getting bored because he started chewing again.

Perhaps your cat is too just bored. Does he play with toys? Maybe he needs new ones. Or try some catnip. Does he have a perch he can lay in the window? Does he play with a laser light? Anything to stimulate him may help.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 13th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Can you block that area off? I agree he may be bored. Cat toys? Cat nip socks are great and cheap. Also has the vet ruled out any medical issues? On the food if he isn't overweight I'd recomend free feeding him that way if that is part of the issue it'll take care of it. You can also try to put foil underneath where this stuff is so it'd scare him when he stepped on it. You can also put some pennies (like 4-5) in a soda can and tape off the opening and shake it when you catch him (however you have to catch him) to startle him. That's about all I got.
January 13th, 2011, 06:08 PM
LuvMyFurbabies's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to LuvMyFurbabies
I agree with checking with the vet to rule out any medical issues. We have a cat that is 13 yr old and she eats plastic and has moments of peeing. When we took her in when she was peeing in the corner we found out by a blood test that she was on the beginning stages of renal failure. We now giver her special food and medicine to help with it. I know that you can get some bitter apple stuff fromt he pet store that will not ruin furniture but you can spray it on spots where your pet is licking or chewing b/c it has a nasty bitter taste. It works on our dogs when they have hot spots and has discouraged our cats from going places where we don't want them to go. I tried foil and all 4 of my cats don't care about it when I try to discourage them from going to an area. We usually have to get creative and block off an area for a while and then they will get in the habit of not doing it and then we are ok again.

*Mommy to Brendan with Two Angels Above*
~Momma to 8 Furbabies (4 cats & 4 dogs)~

January 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Super Mommy
I definitely would not let him outside. He's never spent a day outside on his own (i hold him when we go outside), and he's declawed up front.

The foil thing doesn't work either, he could care less.

I've got bitter apple spray but I can't very well go spraying it on all of our books and papers. He LOVES plastic bags but we rarely have those in our house.

Free feeding isn't an option. He's 17lbs, and big build, so he's at a perfect weight. We do however have a dog and another cat and leaving food out wouldn't last a second (they all get separated when they are fed).

We don't really have much for cat toys around here, because our cats never showed interest before when we'd buy them for them. I do know he loves cat nip though so maybe I'll hanging a toy or sock from a doorknob for him to play around with.

We don't have a perch for them, but they do go in our bedroom and lay in our bed that has a view out a huge window. In the warmer months they spend most of their day out on our enclosed porch but it's way way too cold out there during the winter.

I don't believe it's a medical issue. I'll try the things above, and the can idea sounds great. Catching him requires some effort because he's VERY smart and fast. little bugger.

I'd never get rid of him, he's my baby, but this has got to come to an end.
January 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not sure what having another cat and a dog have to do with free feeding . I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. The dogs are fed meals, the cats have a 4 pound feeder. It's simply kept in an area the dogs aren't allowed in so they don't eat it and the cats and come and go as they please and eat when they want. Neither are overweight.

Where there's a will there's a way.
January 14th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
I'm not sure what having another cat and a dog have to do with free feeding . I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. The dogs are fed meals, the cats have a 4 pound feeder. It's simply kept in an area the dogs aren't allowed in so they don't eat it and the cats and come and go as they please and eat when they want. Neither are overweight.

Where there's a will there's a way.
What having another cat and dog have to do with not being able to free feed in our house is....if we left the food out our dog would eat it, and even if I put it in the basement which is the only are of the house our dog doesn't go, our other cat would have access to it and no doubt about it she'd eat it all. She can't be free fed, nor is she allowed to eat a bunch of dry cat food because she packs on the lbs. My husband used to free feed her before we lived together and she was very overweight.
January 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I could never free feed any of my animals they'd all be 500lbs lol

No I didnt mean let your cat out, I understand at his age its not a good idea. It just solved the problem with ours.. I'm assuming he was just bored.

What about cat grass? Have you ever got that for him? Some cats love to chew on that.

Are his teeth in ok shape? They dont have to be completely clean but as long as there is no green plaque or red gums. if you see those a trip to the vet is in order, could be an infection. (My cat lived to be 16 with 2 teeth left in her mouth poor old thing, she was better off without them though)

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 14th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
I could never free feed any of my animals they'd all be 500lbs lol

No I didnt mean let your cat out, I understand at his age its not a good idea. It just solved the problem with ours.. I'm assuming he was just bored.

What about cat grass? Have you ever got that for him? Some cats love to chew on that.

Are his teeth in ok shape? They dont have to be completely clean but as long as there is no green plaque or red gums. if you see those a trip to the vet is in order, could be an infection. (My cat lived to be 16 with 2 teeth left in her mouth poor old thing, she was better off without them though)

500lbs. ha. I remember when we took my husbands cat to the vet when i moved here and he told us she needed to lose 5lbs. That's a lot for a cat, especially one that is just like garfield. Only gets up to eat, drink, or go to the bathroom. lol. We had to take her food dish and go back and forth from the top to the bottom of the stairs, as that was the only way we could get her to exercise. It worked though.

I've tried the cat grass before but he didn't show much interest in that. I guess that's now as exciting as books, or a plastic bag. grrr. lol.

His teeth are in ok shape. I don't brush them, ha, it's a risk just checking them, but he had a cleaning at the vet last year. I knew he needed it because his breath smelt bad. So far, so good.

I'm gonna go this weekend to buy some cat nip, and a toy or two to hang from a door. See if that helps at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search