Recently back on JM and have a puppy question.

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Lanismommy's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via ICQ to Lanismommy Send a message via MSN to Lanismommy Send a message via Yahoo to Lanismommy
Hi, I am Megan, I have posted on her a few times but recently went with out internet for 6 months lol. Anyways I got a new puppy today. She is a GSD lab mix and she is about 12 weeks old. We also currently have another GSD lab mix and its a male. He is almost 2 and he keeps trying to ride her. I don't understand this because she isn't in heat. (Or should I say she shouldn't and doesn't apper to be, isn't bleeding ect.)

We plan on getting the male fixed as soon as we get our tax return next month but my question is would they fix her next month and also do any of you have any advice on how to get it as cheap as possible so maybe we can get it done earlier.

TIA for any advice!

January 16th, 2011, 08:12 PM
my.estrella's Avatar Ashley
He could be showing dominance and not actually trying to breed her. Regardless spay and neuter is a great idea. It varies from vet to vet on when they will spay...my lab was spayed at about 3 or 4 months but I adopted her from a shelter and they're notorious for doing it early.
January 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes I agree that your male is probably exhibiting dominance however that's a very frowned upon behavior in the animal world and very many times shows lack of socialization. Personally I would not tolerate that behavior but you will have to make your own decision on that. Just be aware that as your female gets older that very well may start some fights between the two of them, especially if she is not a submissive personality so you may want to nip it now. Neutering him can help that to not be such an issue, but usually it doesn't take it away 100% since it's a dominant behiavor and not a procreating behavior.

Given that she's a large breed dog they will absolutely do it now. Vets will typically spay/neuter as young as 10 weeks (private practice) but 100% for sure by 12. So I would highly recommend getting them both done. In my area it'd be less than $200 to have them both done at a low cost clinic.

For low cost clinics check with your local Humane Society/SPCA many times they have an open to the public clinic that they do low cost spay/neuter, if they don't they will know of places that do. You can also check with your local animal control center. Going off of your profile that you're in Plainview, TX here are a few links to low cost places you can call.

Texas Animal Shelters

Texas – Shelters and Rescues | Paw Prints the Magazine

Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic Now Open in Conroe - Please help us get the word out!!! Classified Ad - Conroe Other Pets Related Animals and Pets | InetGiant Conroe, Texas Free Advertising Website

You could also contact a local German Shepherd rescue or local Lab rescue and ask who they use (very rarely do rescues use private practice vets) and who they can recommend for you.

Hope that helps some. Your pup will also need vaccinations, at 12 weeks she is not finished with her puppy shots however I would HIGHLY recommend not to vaccinate at the time of surgery as both deplete the immune system and so it's not a good idea.

Good luck with everything!
January 17th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Lanismommy Send a message via MSN to Lanismommy Send a message via Yahoo to Lanismommy
Thank you so much. I have another question. If it was just dominance would it causae him to whine and be upset that I wouldn't let him. It seems like he is in pain but I could be over sensitive to him baceause he is my baby lol. Also his "little pink thing" is always out around her. There really isn't a possibility of her being in heat is there, I am afraid to let them outsode together but as cold as it is here and being alone with a baby all day I don't know how long I can avoid it.

January 17th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanismommy View Post
Thank you so much. I have another question. If it was just dominance would it causae him to whine and be upset that I wouldn't let him. It seems like he is in pain but I could be over sensitive to him baceause he is my baby lol. Also his "little pink thing" is always out around her. There really isn't a possibility of her being in heat is there, I am afraid to let them outsode together but as cold as it is here and being alone with a baby all day I don't know how long I can avoid it.
Yes because by not allowing him YOU are taking control and if you don't normally do this which it sounds like you don't then yes he very well may protest. That's okay. You should be the one in charge...not him. He's not in pain, you're simply taking control and he's protesting. Yeah the "little pink thing" is his penis. Not a bad word. Again it's a dominance thing. My GSD has his penis out at times too around my male or me. It will become less and less as he realizes you are taking control.

Yes there is a possibility of her being in heat. I've heard as young as 3 months and as old as 2 years. There's always a possibility of anything. If you truly suspect this then you need to keep them separated until she's spayed or he's neutered or she could end up pregnant, however his penis being out doesn't mean she's in heat as both of my males do it and #1 I don't have a female dog but even when I did she had been spayed for over 5 years. That doesn't necessarily mean anything either. But anytime you have 2 dogs that are of possible age (she's on the young side but it is possible) that are not spayed/neutered that's a risk you take.
January 17th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search