Advice from mommies who have introduced dog to baby

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2011, 08:19 PM
A couple of the other boards I was on had threads going for ideas on how best to introduce their doggy to the new baby, but most of them were FTM. I would really like to hear from mommies that have already introduced a dog (in my case one that thinks he is the spoiled baby of the house already) to a new baby. Did you do anything special? How did your dog react? Any problems or things you might have done different? I would really appreciate it, thank you!
February 14th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We just brought our son home. Our dog was an 82 pound Boxer at the time and we had no problems whatsoever. Obviously do not leave your child and the dog alone together EVER for ANY reason no matter how friendly your dog is or how much it loves baby, but other than that we had no issues. You *could* have your spouse/significant other bring home a blanket or clothes that the baby has been in contact with for your dog to sniff before you bring your baby home and you can allow your dog to sniff your baby supervised while you hold baby.

Chances are your pup will adapt to a new routine as long as you make it seem like something normal. Also make sure not to get wrapped up in baby so much that your pup gets neglected. Make sure to still schedule time for walks, playtime, meals, etc and everything should be just fine.

Good luck!
February 16th, 2011, 06:52 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
When we brought home our DD we had a pitbull he was such a love. He did good, and didn't freak out. We did take introductions slow and didn't make a big deal out of anything. He had to learn not to jump but other than that he did fine. I think (from my experience) that just making it seem normal is the best way. I hope the introductions go smoothly .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search