Really need pet advice

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2011, 11:42 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
Hi everybody. I've kind of lurked on here before but I really need your advice/opinions. I have a 13 year old dachshund that was my first real dog (we adopted when I was a child but we never kept them long). We bought her a few weeks after my dad's death and she has been everything to me. She's had a lot of health problems over the past few years and my mom has finally decided to put her down probably in a few weeks.

I want to be there when she is put down because I don't want her to be alone but I also know it's absolutely going to kill me. I was just wondering if any of you have advice or whether or not it's even good to be in the room when it happens.

March 6th, 2011, 12:26 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its comforting for the animal for you to be there, but as long as someone is there, it doesnt matter who. Maybe if your mom can do it and you stay home.

Pretty much, they give the dog a sedative, give you some time to love on her. Our vet gave us a blanket for Norman to lay on the floor with. They come back after the sedative kicks in, they get a needle in their leg, and a few seconds later, they're gone. Its a quick process. Dont be surprised if the eyes stay open or a bowel movement is made, this is totally normal.

Its really very peaceful, but its so hard to do. I'm sorry you have to go through this.

For me the hardest thing watching him get put to sleep was how fast it went. One minute I was holding this living dog in my arms and the next his body was limp.. I freaked out, I won't lie. Cried like a baby. But I was glad I was there to say goodbye to him and I was last thing he saw.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've put down 3 animals (1 cat 2 dogs) in the last 4 years or so, and I absolutely would not have it any other way but to be there when we said good bye. It's not horrific, there's no blood guts or gore. They just go to sleep, vet checks after a minute or so if they're heat is still beating, typically it's not, they tell you they're gone, and leave you to either have some additional time with them or you're free to leave the room. There's nothing horrible about it (except that you're saying good bye) and IMO it's comforting to them to know that YOU are there, they know you, they're comfortable with you, and it's important for you to be able to say good bye also.

This most recent time was just in late November and we had to put our dog to sleep. We'd had her for a long time, she had multiple medical issues, she was around 10 years old (old for a Boxer) and a rescue to boot. We took our 9 year old with us this time and he also stayed and was petting her when she passed away.

Personally I think it's one last act of love you can do for them (and for you, saying good bye is important), and I personally wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes the hardest thing is the most right thing.

Good luck and I am sorry that this time has come. But if you all feel it is the right decision then it is. Best of luck to you and your family!
March 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM
pepper73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Personally I think it's one last act of love you can do for them (and for you, saying good bye is important), and I personally wouldn't have it any other way. Sometimes the hardest thing is the most right thing.
!
I couldn't agree more with Mommie2One. It is SUCH a hard thing to go through and absolutely heartbreaking, but it is the final act of kindness we can give them after everything they give us. I also have to be in the room with my pet. I just had to say goodbye to my beloved Golden Retriever who passed way too early at the age of 5 due to bone cancer. My parents and ex-boyfriend were in the room too and it was comforting to know that he was surrounded by so much love. He fell asleep with his head in my lap and as much as it hurt me, I couldn't imagine not being there with him for his last breath.

What it comes down too though, is do what you feel is right.

I am so sorry for your loss!
March 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MomtoAnnaLise
So hard to answer this. My dog was put to sleep last week due to liver failure, and I wanted to pet her and be the last thing she saw. I'm glad I did this for her sake, but I keep re-seeing her life leave so fast, and it hurts, but I am glad I was there, along with my husband and 3 of her best people friends. Sorry you are going through this!
March 9th, 2011, 11:02 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
As a veterinary assistant, please, as hard as it is, be there.

I think the saddest thing, is someone's life long pet comes in, they say their good-byes, then I take them to they back, tail wags and licks on my face, and I sit with them as they say good-bye to the world.

The last face they see is mine. A stranger. It breaks my heart everytime. They dont know what is happening, they dont know anyone around them, and they are always looking at the door we came in.

I dont mean it to sound mean or say you have to, but it breaks my heart.

Just some advice from the other side of the table.
March 14th, 2011, 07:28 AM
pepper73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnii View Post
As a veterinary assistant, please, as hard as it is, be there.

I think the saddest thing, is someone's life long pet comes in, they say their good-byes, then I take them to they back, tail wags and licks on my face, and I sit with them as they say good-bye to the world.

The last face they see is mine. A stranger. It breaks my heart everytime. They dont know what is happening, they dont know anyone around them, and they are always looking at the door we came in.

I dont mean it to sound mean or say you have to, but it breaks my heart.

Just some advice from the other side of the table.
Wow! Your post made me cry. Thank you for sharing it from the veterinary perspective.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search