Need Cat Advice

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My name is Lisa and I have two cats and a 9 month old son who is mobile. Our one cat is very, very good with him and I have no concerns, however our other is starting to nip at him and hiss whenever our son is around her. Both my husband and I know that the most likely solution is to find her a new home but we want to try and find another solution first. If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it!
April 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not sure but here are some links I found:

INFANTS

Helping Your Cat and New Baby Get Along

http://fanciers.com/cat-faqs/behavior.shtml

Good luck!

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

April 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
How long has this been going on?
I would venture to think its kind of like when you introduce a new animal it just takes time to get used to each other. Sorry you are having troubles. Does kitty have a place to go to be away from baby? That helps too.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 16th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the others, make sure they have time apart and watch your child around the cat. Kids are notoriously mean to cats (not on purpose, it just is), and cats don't tend to appreciate having their tails pulled, fur grabbed at, etc. So always make sure to supervise, and you can make a loud sound when the cat hisses to let them know that that isn't okay, but you may just be better off moving the cat to another location. And please do not assume you have to get rid of the cat, you absolutely do NOT, you just need to put rules and boundaries in place, make sure kitty has a place to go when he/she wants to get away from kids (some are more tolerant of kids than others), and let kitty know that the behavior they're displaying isn't okay with you. And yes, time, time for your child to grow up a bit, but keep in mind mobile children are scary to animals (especially small ones) and they need to feel safe too.

Good luck.
April 16th, 2011, 11:52 AM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldnt get rid of your cat over it. As your child gets older and your cat gets more used to your child than your cat will probably react less. I have two cats also. One doesnt mind our kids and the other is more of a timid cat who likes quite and not kids so much. She is old and I got her as a kitten before I had kids. I make sure and allow her peaceful places to go such as our room since our kids dont go in there much. I doubt your cat will seriously hurt your child, she is just trying to warn her to back off so as your child gets older and understands better you need to teach her how to interact with animals. So many animals end up in shelters because owners rather just get rid of the animal as appose to trying their best to work the problem out. Ive put up with so much worse such as a cat that peed on everything. It took me 5 years to find a solution. Sometimes I thought I could just about kill her but atleast its one less animal in a shelter. Im sure you will be able to find a solution too so dont give up.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

April 17th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
I popped in with nearly this same question except that we had the baby before we got the cat. We waited until our daughter was a few months old before we got our male Siamese. He was great with her at first but as she's grown, he's gotten more and more mean toward her. At first, I just chalked it up to being scared of a newly mobile baby since she'd crawl to him and pull his hair. We quickly taught her "soft" and she's pet him just fine ever since. She pet him softly for a good while and then she decided she wanted to start patting him but patted too hard a couple times. Again, we taught her "soft" and she interacts with him fine, when he lets her. But if we're not sitting with her, he'll go to her, hiss and bat at her. He often scratches her (though nothing near as bad as he was when she was first learning to crawl). I've even caught him trying to do that thing where he grasps her arm arm with his front paws and bites while scratching with the rear claws. But I caught that and stopped it before he could actually hurt her. I think he's learned not to actually hurt her... he seems to be keeping the claws sheathed but I would really like for them to get along. As it is, he stays in our bedroom all the time and only comes out a couple times a day to eat/drink/use the litterbox.

We won't get rid of him and we won't de-claw him. We rescued him as it is and I refuse to let him go to a shelter where who knows what will happen to him. We haven't neutered him yet (He's strictly an indoor cat and we have no other cats so it hasn't been a priority) so I'm wondering if that would help? I read those links that were suggested, as well as a few others, and they all talk about dealing with a new baby but we have the opposite and our kid has hit toddler stage, anyway.

Our daughter often goes over to a friend's house who has a few cats... 2 males and a female... is it possible he's reacting to those scents? I mean, he's never reacted to them on us but I can see him not being aggressive to us since we're the adults in the house.

April 17th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyzira View Post
I popped in with nearly this same question except that we had the baby before we got the cat. We waited until our daughter was a few months old before we got our male Siamese. He was great with her at first but as she's grown, he's gotten more and more mean toward her. At first, I just chalked it up to being scared of a newly mobile baby since she'd crawl to him and pull his hair. We quickly taught her "soft" and she's pet him just fine ever since. She pet him softly for a good while and then she decided she wanted to start patting him but patted too hard a couple times. Again, we taught her "soft" and she interacts with him fine, when he lets her. But if we're not sitting with her, he'll go to her, hiss and bat at her. He often scratches her (though nothing near as bad as he was when she was first learning to crawl). I've even caught him trying to do that thing where he grasps her arm arm with his front paws and bites while scratching with the rear claws. But I caught that and stopped it before he could actually hurt her. I think he's learned not to actually hurt her... he seems to be keeping the claws sheathed but I would really like for them to get along. As it is, he stays in our bedroom all the time and only comes out a couple times a day to eat/drink/use the litterbox.

We won't get rid of him and we won't de-claw him. We rescued him as it is and I refuse to let him go to a shelter where who knows what will happen to him. We haven't neutered him yet (He's strictly an indoor cat and we have no other cats so it hasn't been a priority) so I'm wondering if that would help? I read those links that were suggested, as well as a few others, and they all talk about dealing with a new baby but we have the opposite and our kid has hit toddler stage, anyway.

Our daughter often goes over to a friend's house who has a few cats... 2 males and a female... is it possible he's reacting to those scents? I mean, he's never reacted to them on us but I can see him not being aggressive to us since we're the adults in the house.
Neutering him would probably help. If you go through a discount spay/neuter clinic it's typically under $50 to get them done so it's cheap. Helps A LOT with their temperament.

You may also want to try "soft paws" and see if that helps with the scratching. You can get them pretty cheap on e-bay.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search