Traveling with pets!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2011, 01:22 PM
bug, boo, n boogers mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thought I would pop in with a question. Has anybody recently traveled by air with their pets? What I am wondering is how uptight are airlines about the crates. (right now he is in a huge xlrg kennel, and only takes up a 1/4 of it , when my boxer is having anxiety issues I will put her in with him, and they curl up together) We only have 1 layover of 4 hrs, but was thinking of getting him and walking him during that layover. What is your thoughts on the airlines?

Thank's to lovinMyGirls for my awsome name siggy!

Last edited by bug, boo, n boogers mom; June 17th, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
April 27th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If you're able to not have the animals fly in the cabin, I wouldn't do it. They are treated as luggage/cargo going on mainstream airlines and there have been quite a few cases of animals dying due to the heat (especially since we're coming into summer), dehydration, etc. All airlines are different, but it's my understanding each pet must have their own crate.

If it's truly a have to situation and there's no way around it, there is Pet travel in the main cabin where the pets travel in the main cabin of the plane instead of as luggage/cargo. You may want to consider tranquilizing as well so that they will sleep through it and be less stressed since it is going to be a long day it sounds like.

But again, personally having a bully breed myself (Boxer), with how sensitive they are and their inability to handle heat, I wouldn't travel a regular airline with them where they are treated as luggage/cargo...just too dangerous in my book.

I'm also not entirely sure what your overall question was regarding the kennel. Sounds like it is too big for your Mastiff, but too small for your Boxer.
April 28th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Delta LOST a dog I had prior to my little monster now... I kid you not. It took them four hours to realize that the ground men had moved her to another terminal in the airport... Poor puppy.

The airlines are also VERY strict about them being able to stand up without their head touching the top. The dog has to be able to stand up, turn around, sit down, and lay down comfortably...

As the poster above me said... I wouldn't do it... I have a dane mix (and he's over 100lbs), and I don't feel it's worth the risk. If we travel and want him to come, we drive... If that's not an option, we choose a reputable boarding facility and tuck him away for fun and play for a few days.
April 28th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneFamily View Post
Delta LOST a dog I had prior to my little monster now... I kid you not. It took them four hours to realize that the ground men had moved her to another terminal in the airport... Poor puppy.

The airlines are also VERY strict about them being able to stand up without their head touching the top. The dog has to be able to stand up, turn around, sit down, and lay down comfortably...

As the poster above me said... I wouldn't do it... I have a dane mix (and he's over 100lbs), and I don't feel it's worth the risk. If we travel and want him to come, we drive... If that's not an option, we choose a reputable boarding facility and tuck him away for fun and play for a few days.
OMG they seriously LOST your dog? How HORRIBLE! They're (and you too of course) lucky something serious didn't happen to him/her that's awful!

I do know sometimes you have no choice but to have them fly (such as if you're moving and it's overseas or across oceans (ie Hawaiian Islands, etc), so that's why I put in the suggestion of the pet airlines. If it's just a vacation, boarding with a reputable facility or an inhome petsitter or driving to take them with would be my recommendations as well.

But I know when we were looking at a move to Hawaii via the military we were looking into pet airline for our pets and they were pretty reasonable (for moving purposes).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search