new to this board. So my dog decided she wanted to take a walk by herself last night.

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2011, 07:00 PM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
Hi!! Usually I'm on the TTC board. but i had to share this story...so our golden retreiver/golden lab mix - Chloe - decided to take a walk by herself last night...I went to go get her from the back yard and when she didn't come in, I went out to look for her...and saw the gate was open.

walked around the house - couldn't find her - so DH and I jumped in the car and drove around the neighborhood. Luckily it only took us about 15 minutes to find her. but I have NEVER been so scared! we found her walking down a VERY busy road (we live in a very urban part of Indianapolis)...

Has anyone else's dog ever gotten out? so so so happy that we were as lucky as we were!

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.
February 2014 = Frozen #2 - Transfer remaining 2 - IMPLANTATION!
8 weeks, D&C - blighted ovum - Triploidy

July 2014 = Fresh IVF #2!

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
May 9th, 2011, 08:52 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh that is scary! Glad you found her safe and sound.

Our room mate left the gate open while I was at work. Luckily my boyfriend was home, came downstairs and saw out the window it was open. All 3 of the dogs were gone. he found the 3 of them together around the corner sniffing a bush.

I just keep thinking what if neither of us were home or something. So now there is a lock on the gate and only I have the key.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

May 10th, 2011, 08:20 AM
IndyMommyWannabe's Avatar Always Hoping & Praying
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
Oh that is scary! Glad you found her safe and sound.

Our room mate left the gate open while I was at work. Luckily my boyfriend was home, came downstairs and saw out the window it was open. All 3 of the dogs were gone. he found the 3 of them together around the corner sniffing a bush.

I just keep thinking what if neither of us were home or something. So now there is a lock on the gate and only I have the key.
Yeah, we have a tiny lock on our gate - just so it doesn't open by itself...and she's gotten out a few times before, but the neighbors ALWAYS bring her back. We have to be extremely careful with our screen door (on the breezeway, with another door that has her doggy door out to the backyard...as if we don't pull it shut, it won't latch itself...so i'm very anal about closing that door - but my husband must have accidentally not latched the gate all the way.

What scares me is that this happened RIGHT before it got dark outside...if we'd have waited any longer, i don't want to think about it and am just so happy we found her when we did! Granted, we were very lucky that she was ONLY 1 block south and about 3 blocks west...but we live in a VERY busy neighborhood - the street we found her on (she was on the sidewalk, at least) has a 35/40 mph speed limit!

IVF=ONLY option

October 2012 = Fresh IVF #1 - retrieved 8, 6 fertilized. Transfer 2. Fail.March 2013 = Frozen #1 - Transfer 2 of 4 left. Fail.
February 2014 = Frozen #2 - Transfer remaining 2 - IMPLANTATION!
8 weeks, D&C - blighted ovum - Triploidy

July 2014 = Fresh IVF #2!

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us!"

Come visit my blog/journal to learn more about our journey - Our Adventure through Infertility
May 10th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Once, someone else had opened my gate, luckily my dog was sitting on my doorstep LoL. But we now keep the gate locked unless we're expecting someone such as the gardener that will need to go back there, and even at that I check it after he leaves to make sure it's closed and then put the lock back on it. It hasn't happened since and that was probably 5 years ago.
May 12th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We moved into a new place and the landlord hired gardeners to mow the front and back. They left BOTH gates open. We saw one but the other one is spring loaded so we didn't know it wasn't closed... We ended up going out and put our rescue dog out back like always. He wasn't there when we got back and we went looking for him. This lady a couple streets over heard us and came out to tell us that she had taken a dog matching the description of ours to the emergency vet because he was hit by a car...

He just had a broken pelvis (compared to everything that could have been wrong, I see it as a "just") and has been on bed rest for the last 2 weeks. He's doing much better now but it was SO scary. Not knowing where he was, then having someone tell us he'd been hit and not knowing how bad it was... Goodness. Very stressful.

And we aren't supposed to have pets, so we can't even throw a huge fit to them because then none of us would have somewhere to live!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search