I need help Potty Training!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 16th, 2011, 06:38 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
We have a puppy who is now about 13 or 14 weeks old? Because my SO demanded it, she has puppy pads to pee on (they go in her SOFT crate at night). She pees on them 70% of the time. But she goes to a carpet area to poo. SO will not allow me to crate train her. Normally I would then keep her close to me at all times, but I have things to do where I can't. I do my best though with a leash. I also take her out every hour on the leash and give her a treat when she does go potty.

I really need some help. I have crate trained dogs before. But I guess since this is different, I am having issues. SO is fighting me on basic puppy training classes.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
May 16th, 2011, 08:58 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My trainer was always very strongly against potty pads because they confuse the dog. Either puppy goes potty outside or inside, not both. Are you in an apartment?

You can use the soft crate just like a regular crate. Put a big box so she only has enough room to lay down, turn around, etc. Take her out before she goes in, you know the drill.

The only reason she isnt getting it (you are doing everything right) is because the inside potty pads are probably confusing her.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

May 16th, 2011, 09:44 AM
So take the pad out of her crate too?

She does have a pad inside... Only when SO is home. Otherwise I toss them till he comes home again. It sucks.

You can... but I have little ones and I do love them, but they like to flatten it and do other things. I do my best to keep an eye on them, but there are times that I need to do something and it is not gonna work to pull the crate into the other room.

The only way would be to have the crate in a room which is separated from us. That is not very good for the poor puppy.
May 16th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
My trainer was always very strongly against potty pads because they confuse the dog. Either puppy goes potty outside or inside, not both. Are you in an apartment?

You can use the soft crate just like a regular crate. Put a big box so she only has enough room to lay down, turn around, etc. Take her out before she goes in, you know the drill.

The only reason she isnt getting it (you are doing everything right) is because the inside potty pads are probably confusing her.
I agree. And yes take the puppy pad out of the crate. You will need to get up in the middle of the night to take puppy out (1-2 times typically). Pads jsut confuse them, either puppy can potty in the house or puppy needs to potty outside but you can't have it both ways. Putting the pads down says it is okay to go in the house. You may want to print out some material on crate training for your SO, why does he/she not want to crate train? That doesn't mean you let the dog live it's life in the crate, but allows for potty training and the pup to have a place of their own (ie a den). Also I would HIGHLY recommend puppy classes, your pup needs serious socializing before 16 weeks old so your window of opportunity is quickly coming to a close unfortunately.

Good luck.
May 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No potty pad in the crate. Crates are meant for sleeping, not potty. I only ever crated my puppies overnight and when I wasnt home. Other than that I kept them in the same room I was in. Potty before and after they eat, after play, after waking up, etc.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

May 18th, 2011, 08:42 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
May I ask what breed of dog and how old? What size crate do you use?
May 19th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Why no classes? "because we never took our dogs to them and they were just fine". UHH..... Neither did my parents... But also BOTH my parents had a firm hand in training. SO does not. I take puppy out. Not him. He thinks that the puppy biting clothes is ok because she is a puppy... My minions now have clothes with little holes in them. Not cool. Yeah, the minions are not perfect and sometimes are rough, but I correct them. The puppy needs to learn to.

IDK what size it is. It was the size the trainer I want to go to suggested for her. She is going to be a fun one to potty train. I knew this. I did research on the breeds. She is a Pomeranian and Pembroke Welsh Corgi mix.

Basically he wanted a Pom and I wanted a Corgi. So she came up and we jumped on her. Her parents were on site and his sister used the breeder for her 2 Poms.

I am also fighting him on finishing her puppy shots. *sighs*

I think he is in an argumentative funk right now. He agreed to all of the this before we got her.
May 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
Ok, good to know. Poms are a bit harder coz they are stubborn lol.

Yes, make sure she doesn't have any extra room in her crate to do anything but sleep. I would remove the potty pad, if you can. Basically you are going to want to cut out pee pads all together. Start her like you would an 8 week old pup coz that's basically what you are working with, no matter her age.

I just recently got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who wasn't potty trained. So I just went through this with a 5 month old!

Be consistent with which door you take her out to potty. You should be feeding her 2 or 3 times a day right now since she is growing. Half hour after every meal she should be taken out, or if she wanders off to sniff around just make it a potty break.

Remove her water about an hour before bed, so that she doesn't have a full bladder through the night.

Potty her right before you put her in her crate at night, and praise her ALWAYS for going potty outside, it is a BIG deal and always use positive happy voice and maybe a cookie =]

Remove the potty pads from the crate and your house, if she has an accident don't make a huge deal about it unless you catch her, in which case take her out to potty, you may have to wait forever, but when she does potty reinforce the positive behavior that you want!

Big thing is going to be the eventual elimination of all potty pads, it might take a bit as she doesn't know life without them, but that is your goal...

Keep trying!
May 19th, 2011, 07:19 PM
dunerchick's Avatar Super Mommy
If SO doesn't agree with crate training get rid of the dog. Correct crate training works amazingly fast. Dogs also prefer to have a safe place ( crate ) and get rid of all pads those are such a confusing bad idea

Just cause I don't post much doesn't make me less active just means I may not give a **** about a certain topic. :-)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search