Your dog and your new baby

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2011, 05:17 AM
We have a 1 year old dog, which is a lazy bean. He is a Labrador and is surprisingly lazy. He only plays with the next door neighbor’s son Dave who is only 11 years old. He is surprisingly very protective of Sarah (my baby), if you leave the baby around him, he won’t let anybody touch the baby other than me and my DH.
January 10th, 2012, 07:44 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Thanks for the links and the advice, I have two dogs so I plan to do some reading on the matter. I'll probably also consult with the people who we took puppy classes from.

Both my dogs are well socialized. The rotti (will be 5yrs old when the baby is born) has been around babies many times and is very good with them, gentle, licks their face and has even taken commands willingly from toddlers.

The other one is an 11 month old St. Bernard. Hes going to be just a 1 1/2 when the baby is born and my concern is really more to due with his size than his temperament. At 1 1/2 he'll likely be 140-160 lbs and still in a puppy state of mind. Hes a very well behaved dog for his age but he is super exuberant. I have no concerns about teaching him proper behaviour around the baby, he is a quick learner and takes the lead of our other dog, but hes going to be so big.

Does anyone else here have a giant breed dog?

I see a lot of people willing to give up their dogs when they have babies if it comes down to that. That is a personal decision but it isn't a decision for me, however this goes we will have to work out a system. I consider it to be just as much my responsibility to continue to care for my dogs as for a new baby.
March 13th, 2014, 06:19 AM
very informative comments, thanks for the help

great advice!
April 22nd, 2014, 12:36 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
A couple things:

1. if you are going to change routines (no dogs on bed, no dogs on furniture, etc) when you bring the baby home, start changing them immediately. That way, the new habits will not be connected to the introduction of the baby. Making giant behavior changes at the same time as the giant change of adding a baby to the family is a recipe for some serious problems with the dog.

2. Regression is normal when you add a baby to the mix. The dog might start chewing, might start peeing in the house, might start acting out in other ways. Make sure to give the dog some extra attention, and some alone time, to get them past some of the behaviors. Normally they last for a few weeks to a month. Do not punish the dog, they are not being "defiant" they are reacting to stress and that's not a conscious decision. Ostracising them to the back yard, to another room or to their crate will not help either, and may cause even more bad behaviors.

3. No matter how cute it is, no matter how friendly your dog is, never EVER allow your child to poke the dog, pull hair, pull ears or anything else. EVER EVER EVER. Your dog might tolerate it (until the day it doesn't tolerate it) but eventually, your child may end up around someone else's dog and that behavior that is saintly tolerated by your dog could get your child seriously hurt or killed. I can't stress this one enough. And remember, as your child gets bigger and stronger, your dog is getting older and often weaker due to joint problems, age infirmity, arthritis, etc. So the dog will likely get less tolerant over time, not more.

4. Crate training is a great idea. It gives the dog an absolutely safe retreat from kids and babies. Under no circumstances should kids or babies be allowed in the crate, with or without the dog. That is the dog's space. It's not cute, it's a place where a LOT of bites happen.

5. As previously mentioned, obedience training is a great idea. Look for a trainer that starts all positive, training collars (choke or prong collars) and head halters should never be required in class.
precious_julez likes this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography

Last edited by michelleH; April 23rd, 2014 at 06:44 AM.
April 23rd, 2014, 02:49 AM
Regular
It's an old thread but michelleH you just shared with us some tips that are still very helpful today and forever. Thank you so much!
michelleH likes this.
April 23rd, 2014, 06:37 AM
I'm glad to help! I've been a part time dog trainer for the last 11 years.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
June 17th, 2014, 08:06 AM
This is great i am so happy i came across this I have 3 pit bulls and they are my babies i love them to death, but i have notices a bit of jealousy with my new baby girl (Shaniah Lee) shes only 3 months old and i get bit nervous but i still have to show my furry babies attention too They can be high strung at times but are real lovers!!!
michelleH likes this.
June 18th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by precious_julez View Post
This is great i am so happy i came across this I have 3 pit bulls and they are my babies i love them to death, but i have notices a bit of jealousy with my new baby girl (Shaniah Lee) shes only 3 months old and i get bit nervous but i still have to show my furry babies attention too They can be high strung at times but are real lovers!!!
We have two Pit Bulls, best dogs ever.
precious_julez likes this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

June 26th, 2014, 07:33 AM
Good to know there are other pitbull lovers out there My baby girl loves to watch them but they pay really no attention to her, they smell her and pretty much walk away!

For my whole families healthcare piece of mind... www.drsmartphonemd.com
michelleH likes this.

Last edited by precious_julez; June 26th, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
July 20th, 2014, 07:41 AM
great info

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search