how to move a crate

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
We moved the puppy' crate into the laundry room because she would yelp all night otherwise. For some reason she likes the laundry room. Maybe because the furnace is in there and it makes noise that calms her???

Anyway, she is a few weeks older and I would like to move her crate into a room closer to us all. The laundry room is off the dining room. There is a door that separates that area and it has a cat door. The animals (including the dog, she is small breed) use that to go in and out that door.

Right now, at night I can tell her that it is bed time and she will go into her crate and be just fine. No barking.

Last night I moved it out of that room and she went into it, but she started to bark her head off. Is this normal just because it is in a new room and she just needs to adjust, or do I need to leave it in that room???

It is a soft crate, which is also partly she was moved. I have now gotten my minions to leave the crate alone and understand it is not their play tent, it is her home.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
May 20th, 2011, 09:22 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
We haven't had to move Dotties crate but she is a great dane with an XXL crate so moving it isn't really an issue. We also feed in her crate, it helps her to know that the crate is a good place to be. If I do wish to move it I usually move it and then show her where it is and let her sniff around. Feed her and let her out. That way it will reestablish her "home". I would think you could do the same thing with a treat to make it seem cool to be there. I hope you are able to move the crate without to much trouble. Good luck.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

May 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If you need to move it, that's fine, but yes expect some protesting for anywhere from a day to a few weeks (all dogs are different). But I would recommend choosing a spot, and leaving it there. Don't ever let her out when she is making noise or give attention, it should subside anywhere from 1 day to 3 weeks.
June 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM
~ Nicole ~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will give you some advice. Whatever you want as a permanant arrangement this is were you should place the crate from the very begining and dont change it. Yes the puppy will whine/bark in the begining but thats because they are used to being with their mother/litter mates and so being alone is new and scary but you must get them used to it from the very begining. My last dog when he was a puppy he slept in my room with me at night. Than my DH moved in and we had another child so the dog got moved to a crate in the living room at night. After this move every single night for years and years he would whine up to an hour after we put him in his crate before finally falling asleep. It was very annoying. We got a new dog 3 years ago and right from when he was day one in our house he was in the crate alone. He whined the first few nights but now he is so good in the crate. Never whines, goes right it, no problems.

Me(30) DS(8) DS(10)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search