Need more help with dog

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2011, 07:24 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
Quick update and then the problems:

The crate was moved into the dining room. She can see us all and after a few days of barking a lot, she calmed down and now only barks if she is in crate and a cat (who she ignores when out of crate) walks by. House breaking is going slowly. But we are making a little progress.

SO is still fighting me tooth and nail over puppy training. Going and doing it behind his back will not work anymore since finances are combined fully now. Although he is at his wits end because the dog ignores him when he tells her to go outside and what not.

Like this morning. He gets up at 5am for work and tries to let me rest till minions get up at 7am. Well, he goes to let Morganne out and she runs about the dinging room, greets the cats, runs about the living room and then pees on the floor and get the potty book my 4 year old was given wet (it was on the floor from a late night potty). She went right in the middle of the floor. Then ran about and refused to go to SO when he called her (calmly). I got up then and she refused to go outside for me too (she refuses about 15% of the time to me). I ended up putting her back in her crate. Then when I got up at 7am she gladly went outside to go potty and got her praise and treat for going. I let he play with us inside for a bit and now she is back in her crate for a little bit.

You have to let Morganne out at 5am though. She cannot hold it till 7am. She goes to bed when we do (9pm).

Anyway, so her issues that IDK how to address (never had this issue) is submissive peeing. How do I work with her so she does not do it. She will come to me after she knows she did something bad (No one yelled or was harsh) and pees a little. Also when it is bed time. 50% of the time she will submissive pee when I pet her good night before I tell her bed time and she goes to her crate (she has this down pat BTW).

So, submissive peeing and how can I get her to listen to SO. SO has CP and it is hard for him to grab her and what not.

Also she will not stop barking when someone comes into our house. An aunt she sees twice a week comes over (and others) and she will not stop barking their entire visit. If she is let out of crate she will pee all over, even if taken outside. This includes peeing on the person and couch too. SO has now banned her from being out when people are over because this is new furniture.

She is a Welsh Corgi and Pomeranian mix and 6 months old now if that helps any.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
July 21st, 2011, 09:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Submissive peeing takes A LOT of work on your part and it may not ever 100% go away (in fact, given that she's 6 months old the liklihood of it going away completely are slim to none IMO). You can do a google search on submissive urination training tips and get a ton of sites. Just start reading. Also as much socializing as possible (unfortunately that window of opportunity ends at about 16 weeks, but it's not impossible later...just much harder).

On the urinating in the house bit, she needs to be let outside FIRST thing, not permitted to run around in the house first. So whoever, needs to put her on leash and take her outside. I would also work on her recall, a "come" command (which if you're doing puppy classes this is something that should be covered). You can start this with leash training and giving her a treat when you say "come" and she does, but you never say it unless you have a way to reinforce it (ie she's on a leash and you can pull her towards you). If she goes outside you can put her on a long lead and again call her back and if she comes she gets a treat, if not you "reel her in" and give her praise. Make it so that coming to you is a reward.

On barking you can try something like pennies in a can and shake it when she starts to bark, then when she stops say "stop" or whatever word you want to use and then give her a treat so she understands that barking=no treat but quiet=treat.

I would also, again, especially since you have a dog that is first off not listening to you and secondly has a submissive urination and socializing issue, recommend a few training classes. No more puppy classes, she's past that point, those are really for socializing only, but definite beginning training classes. By 6 months she should be able to sit, down, come, stay on command with pretty good success, if not then definitely time to catch up.

Hope that helps some. And good luck!
July 22nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
That is part of the issue. Before we got her SO agreed to crate training and puppy/adult dog classes. I found a place that did not cost a ton but at the same time found some locals that used them and loved them. We did do research on her breeds and I made sure he understood that both can be a PITA.

She came home and SO refused the crate training and no classes. Now he will allow crate train but no classes. Which being 22 weeks pregnant with 3 little ones already, I am frustrated. He clings to the "no one in my family ever did that". Ok. No one in mine did either. Yet I know it would help a lot.

His opinion is to get rid of her. I will hear nothing of it. She is not a bad dog. If he had went along with what we both agreed on, I really think there would be no issues right now.

Anyway, He was trying to put her out first thing but at times she would refuse. I think part of it is she knows he cannot chase after her. I had no issues this morning. Other than her barking because she saw the cat and decided that it was play time when it was 5am.

As far as socialization, out side of our place, she is well socialized. She went to the park with the minions and I. We also use to take walks and I made sure she was around other dogs both her size and larger at least twice a week (play dates). I am sorry to say it has now been cut back to once a week and mainly at our place now since I am battling dizzy spells. Still, we do go to the park and beach with her still. She has had this since she was 6-7 weeks of age.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
July 22nd, 2011, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well two days a week of socializing unfortunately isn't enough. If you do some research it's recommended to meet approximatley 50 people a day everyday for awhile. If she has submissive urination, usually this is a socialization issue. Sometimes it is a personality issue but majority of the time it's under socializing with people.

To be honest, I don't usually advocate for people getting rid of animals, but given your current situation, I personally think it would probably be better for everyone involved to find her a home that can work with her issues, get her some proper training, and make a good go of it. If your SO isn't willing to do any of that, isn't willing to help train her, isn't willing to put her on leash to take her outside, and wants to get rid of her, then unfortunately nothing anybody recommends is going to work for you guys.

My recommendation would be to either start with some serious submissive urination research as well as a regular training class and start doing some serious work with her and enforcing rules, or find her a home that is willing to do that or a rescue that is willing/able to take her.
August 11th, 2011, 01:23 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I agree that if your SO is going to put her out in the morning than he should clip a leash on so that he won't have to chase her. You have to be consistent with training especially with puppies and ones that are known to be stubborn. If I remember correctly most little dogs tend to be stubborn.
I also agree that given your situation if you can't get the classes or at least start working with her more you might want to think about a new home. I hope you can find a solution that works. I know we have done a lot of research online for training to save money, and we did take a few classes. Training is a must when you have a 115 pound puppy . But we continue to work with her and keep her good manners up.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 15th, 2011, 01:35 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I agree 100% with eveything Meghan and Jessi has said. It takes tons of time and patience but it will happen.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search