Any other raw feeders?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2011, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Baxter has been eating raw pretty much since we brought him home. I tried him on Orijen and Acana but he wasn't really interested in food unless he was STARVING. I hated it so much because I went out of my way to research kibble to make sure I made the best choice for him and he wasn't interested at all.

We didn't bother finishing the bag of Orijen and just switched him over to a "prey model raw" diet and he absolutely LOVES IT! I was hesitant to start because I was worried about him giving my kids salmonella by dragging raw meat around, or that he'd smell of it etc. - I'm thrilled we took the plunge! He eats so neatly on a "pee pad", he never smells (in fact he smells better!), and his poops are awesome and not soft like they used to be! He is so excited at mealtimes it's a joy to feed him.

Just wanted to share my experience and see if there are any other raw feeders on the JM boards?

August 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't feed raw as it's just too expensive since I have 2 large dogs, but I do give raw meat a few times a month and I educate on animal nutrition, raw included, for those that have a desire to learn about it and can afford it.

So glad it's working for you guys!
August 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
I don't feed raw as it's just too expensive since I have 2 large dogs, but I do give raw meat a few times a month and I educate on animal nutrition, raw included, for those that have a desire to learn about it and can afford it.

So glad it's working for you guys!

2 large dogs would be pretty $$$! I am only feeding a ShihPoo and he's about 6.5lbs LOL

August 1st, 2011, 06:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I have a 70 pound German Shepherd and a 67 pound Boxer.
August 4th, 2011, 05:40 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree it was too expensive for me. I have 3 dogs, 90lbs, 55lbs, and 40lbs. My rescue, Tucker, refused to eat it so I ended up throwing a lot out. I did it for about a year with the other two, but didnt see any improvement in Rileys allergies (which was why I fed raw in the 1st place) so I went back to kibble and can mix.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Regular
my mom raw feeds her jack russel. he is really healthy. beat an abscess without meds [a dog bit him], no cavities or gingivitis at 7 years old.. of course his coat isnt exactly soft though because he is a wire-hair lol!
September 21st, 2011, 05:28 AM
We feed raw about once a week....would love to do it full time but its too expensive and I like the convenience of kibble. We have several large breeds and I run a kennel, so kibble is a staple around here.
October 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM
While I do not serve them raw food, I ensure that my dogs are not served processed food like pedigree. Such processed foods are grain based diet which by nature isn’t correct for dogs. Dogs come from wolves and are carnivorous animal with vegetables and fruit based diet. I give them 50% meat and 50% vegetables and fruits. They love having oranges and strawberries.
October 26th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Super Mommy
I researched it and was so close to going for it, but we tried a grain free diet and that cut down on her ear infections. I would however love to see if going raw would help with her horrible breath/teeth. They say it does. Unfortunately she gets crazy in the head when she gets bones, so the thought of feeding her raw scared me a little.
October 26th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.klynn View Post
I researched it and was so close to going for it, but we tried a grain free diet and that cut down on her ear infections. I would however love to see if going raw would help with her horrible breath/teeth. They say it does. Unfortunately she gets crazy in the head when she gets bones, so the thought of feeding her raw scared me a little.
If you give a raw meaty bone 2-3 times per week, THAT should fix her teeth/breath issue.
October 28th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
If you give a raw meaty bone 2-3 times per week, THAT should fix her teeth/breath issue.
Yes but I'm terrified at her behavior when she gets bones like that. She goes nuts if you go anywhere near here and she'll snap, start growling, bark, show her teeth, and act as thought she's gonna rip a chunk out of you. Any suggestions?
March 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
I do! I feed my 8 month 38 pound boxer raw exclusively, she loves it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search