Dog Dry Food Question???

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Veteran
Here is my question: What kind of dry food do you use for your dogs?
- Conrad Hilton

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

September 8th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
We used to get nothing but Iams, but now we feed them Kibbles 'n Bits Homestyle. They LOVE the squishy pieces in it.
September 8th, 2011, 09:12 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I rotate around. Canidae, Fromm, Natures Variety, Orijen and Wellness are the faves

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Only healthy foods here for dogs and humans both. We stay FAR away from grocery store foods. I rotate between Taste of the Wild, Earthborn Primitive Natural, and Natural Balance sweet potato and Bison.

For anyone looking to choose a healthy food I would encourage you to look at Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble and choose a 4, 5, or 6 star food. Also by using better quality foods their coats improve, breathe improves, you use less food and they use more of it so therefore there is less feces as well so the yard clean up is easier. It's a little more expensive, however because you use less it isn't as bad as the initial pricetag may suggest.

I encourage everyone to feed the humans as well as the dogs in their home a healthy diet. I've seen what poor diets for both species can and will do and it isn't pretty for either.
September 9th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Melliesbelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We only use Nutro Natural Choice Grain Free Limited Ingredient Diet in Large Breed Lamb Meal and Potato.

Eisley had all kinds of stomach problems and would vomit at least once every other day. Since I've started her and kept her on this food, we haven't had a single issue. And her poops are great!

SO to Brian
Mommy to Liam, and Gage!

September 17th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Regular
My dogs have major allergy problems, so they're on Natural Balance Grain Free Chicken, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin. Their skin and allergies have been much better since we switched. We had to go through 4 different expensive grain free foods before we found one they would eat
Nalani ~ 12 wks, Nohealani ~ 17 wks, Aolani ~ 11 wks
Lulani ~ 25 wks ~ Forever 1 day old
Leilani ~ 27 wks ~ Forever 4 days old

September 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyWho View Post
My dogs have major allergy problems, so they're on Natural Balance Grain Free Chicken, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin. Their skin and allergies have been much better since we switched. We had to go through 4 different expensive grain free foods before we found one they would eat
Keep in mind for the future, that all of the grain free foods offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and if you aren't satisfied, it doesn't work, they don't like it, they're allergic to it, etc then you can return it to the store of purchase (even if opened and used) for a FULL refund. My Boxer has severe and multiple food allergies and it took me months to figure out what they all were. I easily went through $800 worth of food, and those guarantees saved me for sure. So just for future reference, if you ever have any issues it is very helpful.

Also, since your dog has allergies, I would highly recommend that you find 2-3 protein sources that your pup can tolerate and rotate between them, otherwise your pup very well could end up with an allergy to the chicken and you'll be back at square one. NB makes a Sweet potato and Bison formula, Sweet Potato and Venison formula, Potato and Duck formula, Lamb and rice formula, and sweet potato and fish formula (in addition to what you already use), all of which are for allergy sufferers and would offer a bit of a change to help keep the allergies from developing over time.

Good luck to you, we've been dealing with severe food allergies and moderate environmental allergies for 3 1/2 years now so I absolutely understand!
September 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Keep in mind for the future, that all of the grain free foods offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and if you aren't satisfied, it doesn't work, they don't like it, they're allergic to it, etc then you can return it to the store of purchase (even if opened and used) for a FULL refund. My Boxer has severe and multiple food allergies and it took me months to figure out what they all were. I easily went through $800 worth of food, and those guarantees saved me for sure. So just for future reference, if you ever have any issues it is very helpful.

Also, since your dog has allergies, I would highly recommend that you find 2-3 protein sources that your pup can tolerate and rotate between them, otherwise your pup very well could end up with an allergy to the chicken and you'll be back at square one. NB makes a Sweet potato and Bison formula, Sweet Potato and Venison formula, Potato and Duck formula, Lamb and rice formula, and sweet potato and fish formula (in addition to what you already use), all of which are for allergy sufferers and would offer a bit of a change to help keep the allergies from developing over time.

Good luck to you, we've been dealing with severe food allergies and moderate environmental allergies for 3 1/2 years now so I absolutely understand!
Thank-you for letting me know about the refunds! That sure would have helped! We still have all 3 of the foods they rejected. I feel so bad to throw them away, but can't get anywhere to let me donate them open Probably stale by now, I should just chuck it...

I did think about trying to switch between the chicken and fish ones (those are the only 2 flavors at our pet store). But neither of them like cooked fish, so I assumed they wouldn't like it. I do put cooked meat in their dinner. Just a small piece of chicken, ground turkey, ham, etc. They get scrambled eggs every once in a while. Oh and cooked carrots and green beans. I hoped that would be enough variety. Do you think it would be worth it to track down a different flavor of that food? They seem to be allergic to rice, so I want to avoid that.

Oh, and I just double-checked the bag of food, and it's actually Nature's Recipe chicken, sweet potato and pumpkin. Natural Balance was one of the ones we tried and they wouldn't eat. The duck and potato one. We do have the treats in the same flavor though and they'll eat those. Picky boogers...

September 19th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thank-you for letting me know about the refunds! That sure would have helped! We still have all 3 of the foods they rejected. I feel so bad to throw them away, but can't get anywhere to let me donate them open Probably stale by now, I should just chuck it...

I did think about trying to switch between the chicken and fish ones (those are the only 2 flavors at our pet store). But neither of them like cooked fish, so I assumed they wouldn't like it. I do put cooked meat in their dinner. Just a small piece of chicken, ground turkey, ham, etc. They get scrambled eggs every once in a while. Oh and cooked carrots and green beans. I hoped that would be enough variety. Do you think it would be worth it to track down a different flavor of that food? They seem to be allergic to rice, so I want to avoid that.

Oh, and I just double-checked the bag of food, and it's actually Nature's Recipe chicken, sweet potato and pumpkin. Natural Balance was one of the ones we tried and they wouldn't eat. The duck and potato one. We do have the treats in the same flavor though and they'll eat those. Picky boogers...
You can still return them. There is no time limit on that. Absolutely. It isn't about variety, it's about pulling away that ingredient completely otherwise if they are on that ingredient (or any ingredient) too long it can cause them to develop an allergy to the ingredient. So great, you add some stuff, but the chicken in the food is the issue that is being fed day in and day out and there is a good chance they will eventually become allergic to the chicken. By switching every 3 months or so it will prevent it from happening or delay it long enough that it will hopefully not be an issue. Does tht make more sense?

Also, as long as the store you purchase from carries any of the foods they have a contract with Natural Balance and if you request it, they will probably order you a bag or two or whatever you want.

On the food, I would venture to guess that by switching foods to find one they'd eat you CREATED picky eaters. choose a food that you feel would be okay, that is in your budget and you can find, put it down, wait 20 minutes, if they eat great, if not pick it up and repeat the process every 10-12 hours (twice a day). A healthy animal will not starve itself. So they WILL eventually eat. I've had it take 5-6 days before, but continued to offer the food and they finally ate once they realized I wasn't giving in.

Good luck.
September 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Regular
Quote:
You can still return them. There is no time limit on that. Absolutely. It isn't about variety, it's about pulling away that ingredient completely otherwise if they are on that ingredient (or any ingredient) too long it can cause them to develop an allergy to the ingredient. So great, you add some stuff, but the chicken in the food is the issue that is being fed day in and day out and there is a good chance they will eventually become allergic to the chicken. By switching every 3 months or so it will prevent it from happening or delay it long enough that it will hopefully not be an issue. Does tht make more sense?

Also, as long as the store you purchase from carries any of the foods they have a contract with Natural Balance and if you request it, they will probably order you a bag or two or whatever you want.

On the food, I would venture to guess that by switching foods to find one they'd eat you CREATED picky eaters. choose a food that you feel would be okay, that is in your budget and you can find, put it down, wait 20 minutes, if they eat great, if not pick it up and repeat the process every 10-12 hours (twice a day). A healthy animal will not starve itself. So they WILL eventually eat. I've had it take 5-6 days before, but continued to offer the food and they finally ate once they realized I wasn't giving in.

Good luck.
Thank-you, that does make sense! In your opinion, is switching between 2 different flavors enough, or should it be 3 flavors so it's a 9 month cycle?

I'm pretty sure I didn't create their pickiness, at least not the way that you explained. They starved themselves for over a week with each food. Once I brought in the natures recipe, they ate it from day one.

The boy takes all day to eat his food. He just picks at it here and there, and usually scrambles to finish it when I get into bed at night, lol (they know they won't get their bedtime treat if their bowls aren't empty). The girl on the other hand scarfs her food down in less than 5 minutes, lol. They get 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at our dinner time.

September 19th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Thank-you, that does make sense! In your opinion, is switching between 2 different flavors enough, or should it be 3 flavors so it's a 9 month cycle?

I'm pretty sure I didn't create their pickiness, at least not the way that you explained. They starved themselves for over a week with each food. Once I brought in the natures recipe, they ate it from day one.

The boy takes all day to eat his food. He just picks at it here and there, and usually scrambles to finish it when I get into bed at night, lol (they know they won't get their bedtime treat if their bowls aren't empty). The girl on the other hand scarfs her food down in less than 5 minutes, lol. They get 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at our dinner time.
If you can do 3-4 different foods and switch every 2-3 months then that's great, but having an allergy dog myself I know that isn't always possible. So if all you can do is 2, then that's better than nothing for sure. If you can find a food without really any of the same ingredients that's the best way to go, but again, with an allergy sufferer I realize that can be hard. Personally we go between Taste of the Wild's Pacific Stream, Earthborn's Primitive Natural, Nature Domain's Fish and Sweet potato, and Natural Balance's Bison and Sweet potato. I've found they work fine for both fo my dogs and are well liked by both. But again, it's taken us a long time to get to that place so I totally understand the food battle.

Well again, no animal will actually starve itself and as long as you offer food they will eventually eat. But at the end of the day it is your choice. I would, however, recommend actual feed times versus leisure eating for health purposes.
September 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Regular
i rotate between the taste of the wild foods. hoping one day ill have the time and resources to do a raw food diet.
September 19th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I dont know any dogs that would eat Natural Balance willingly lol.

you should check out Natures Variety.. never met a dog that didnt love it and they have some nice formulas.

Nature's Variety Prairie: Natural, Holistic Kibble Diets for Dogs | Nature's Variety
The Venison & Millet may work well.

Nature's Variety: Instinct Grain-Free Kibble Diets for Dogs | Nature's Variety
They also have limited ingredient versions of grain free

September 19th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
I dont know any dogs that would eat Natural Balance willingly lol.

you should check out Natures Variety.. never met a dog that didnt love it and they have some nice formulas.

Nature's Variety Prairie: Natural, Holistic Kibble Diets for Dogs | Nature's Variety
The Venison & Millet may work well.

Nature's Variety: Instinct Grain-Free Kibble Diets for Dogs | Nature's Variety
They also have limited ingredient versions of grain free
Uh both of mine love NB, as did both of my Boxers that passed away and 3 of my fosters. Never have had an issue and I know quite a few folks that feed it and dogs that like it. In fact, my GSD likes the NB better than TOTW.

And personally my dog cannot eat Nature's Variety WAY too many ingredients and all formulas that are grain free contain Rosemary.
September 20th, 2011, 08:03 AM
*shrug* All my dogs, friends dogs, dogs I've groomed, dogs I've done agility with, all turned their noses to NB. Glad it works for yours cause the ingredients are good.

October 5th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Veteran
TLC - Whole Life Natural

They ship for free to your door.

www.tlcpetfood.com

October 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Regular
i WAS feeding taste of the wild [thinking of switching.. any ideas of grain-free for ~$50/~30lbs??] but recently had lots of bills to pay so i had to get a cheaper food.. dels brand "4healthy puppy"..its ok, i guess. but it has grain in it and lots of it, though the first ingredients are meat. i cant wait to switch him back. his farts are NASTY right now!
and it doesnt help that i forgot his food last weekend on a camping trip!! i had to find kibble at the nearest store.. and the best they had was beneful! he ate it like candy at first but refused to eat it the last day. i bet hes missing his good food that makes him feel great.
October 10th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfybaby View Post
i WAS feeding taste of the wild [thinking of switching.. any ideas of grain-free for ~$50/~30lbs??] but recently had lots of bills to pay so i had to get a cheaper food.. dels brand "4healthy puppy"..its ok, i guess. but it has grain in it and lots of it, though the first ingredients are meat. i cant wait to switch him back. his farts are NASTY right now!
and it doesnt help that i forgot his food last weekend on a camping trip!! i had to find kibble at the nearest store.. and the best they had was beneful! he ate it like candy at first but refused to eat it the last day. i bet hes missing his good food that makes him feel great.
I bounce between Taste of the Wild and Earthborn Primitive Natural. Earthborn's Primitive Natural is grain free, all life stages, and is $40.00 for a 28 pound bag in my area. Plus they have the deal that you buy 10 bags and you get one free.

Will also say that if your pup is 6 months or older make sure you're feeding an adult or all life stages food if they are a medium or large breed.

Also, if you have a Costco membership, they have Nature's Domain which is $35 for a 35 pound bag and it's very similar to Taste of the Wild's Pacific Stream...but it is only available at Costco.
October 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Regular
Quote:
I bounce between Taste of the Wild and Earthborn Primitive Natural. Earthborn's Primitive Natural is grain free, all life stages, and is $40.00 for a 28 pound bag in my area. Plus they have the deal that you buy 10 bags and you get one free.

Will also say that if your pup is 6 months or older make sure you're feeding an adult or all life stages food if they are a medium or large breed.

Also, if you have a Costco membership, they have Nature's Domain which is $35 for a 35 pound bag and it's very similar to Taste of the Wild's Pacific Stream...but it is only available at Costco.
ive never heard of or seen earthborn.. that sounds like a good price. what stores sell it? do they have different formulas/flavors? my pup likes change.

i did not know he should be getting adult food.. at a week shy of 7 months old, he weighs 49lbs.
picture below: winston is the black lab-looking dog. the other is a purebred standard adult australian shepherd.

i dont think he will get much bigger or heavier. his mother is a border collie/australian shepherd and lab mix. his father is a walker hound and lab mix.
yeaa my mom feeds natures domain.. i cant stand the smell! and its sooo greasy. winston doesnt care for it, either.
October 26th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Super Mommy
Taste of the Wild Pacifica - it's grain free which is a MUST for our cocker who is prone to ear infections.

We are considering switching over to Orijen or Acana to see if this helps cut down on her obsessive licking, and horrible teeth. Plus it's a little cheaper than the TOTW and they offer the buy 10 get 1 free.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search