need advice asap!!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 29th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Ritzbitz's Avatar In love with my daughter
Girls.. i have a problem and need help asap! Our beloved feline started peeing outside of her box! this started a few days ago when she first peed on our new glider and we just assumed she didn't like its new out of the box smell. Today we caught her peeing in the baby's pack n play changing pad! this is already crossing the line! DH said that if she does this again, anywhere, she is out of here. My parents are willing to take her in but I love her so much, I would prefer not to give her to anyone! But of course I love my daughter more and value all the things we have for her and cannot afford to have the cat peeing everywhere else. What to do? do you think she is doing this because she sense's the baby is coming and is acting out of jealousy? anyone have this kind of issue before? help!!!!! baby is due in a little over a month and this is a new development...

thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

September 30th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She could have a UTI, her box could be too dirty for her, or she could have a behavioral issue due to you being pregnant...none of these are uncommon. I'd first have her checked medically to rule that out, and then take a look at your litter box and litter as she may have an issue with one or both of those.

If you do a search there is a thread on here for a cat urine "recipe" to get it out that has lemon dish detergent, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and I *think* that's it but you'll have to double check the recipe in a search. I would recommend that if you guys end up getting rid of her over this to not get another animal again, as they do have medical as well as behavioral issues at times, no different than any other animal or human.
September 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
I would recommend that if you guys end up getting rid of her over this to not get another animal again, as they do have medical as well as behavioral issues at times, no different than any other animal or human.
Wow that's a bit extreme

I got rid of a cat because it too began to pee everywhere when dd was born. I had 3 dogs at the time. My last dog lived 13 1/2 years which is great for a large breed dog. We have 2 cats now & everything is fine. My oldest cat is 7. After we got the 2nd cat, she started pooping outside the litter box. She does it on the laminate floor so we just clean it up from there. No biggy. But peeing on furniture is another story.

I agree that you should check out medical issues 1st. We did that with the cat we had to get rid of. She happened to be fine. We also tried a spray the vet prescribed & everything possible to help with her behavior. The last straw was when she peed in the middle of our bed. In the end, it was a cat not a human. So although it was a hard choice, living with a house full of cat pee is not an option.

I hope you have better luck!

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Last edited by My2miracles; September 30th, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
September 30th, 2011, 11:54 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
I would recommend that if you guys end up getting rid of her over this to not get another animal again, as they do have medical as well as behavioral issues at times, no different than any other animal or human.
Thats just rude. If there were no medical reason causing that behavior, you better bet I'd get rid of the cat too. Urinating on my babies things is NOT ok or sanitary.

Anyway, I second taking the cat to the vet for a checkup. Could be as simple as a UTI or bladder infection. Have you changed litter recently? Some cats prefer certain types of litter. Is she the only cat?

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 30th, 2011, 01:57 PM
yes i agree, the not taking in another animal in the future was a bit harsh.. let me just say that i am not a first time cat owner. I had a persian cat for 18 years before she passed away to cancer. I then had a balinese who passed away. Had a turkish angora who we had to give up because she wasnt getting along with our now persian cat of almost 2 years. animals have been in my life ever since i was a little girl and i think raising a child with a pet in the house is only a plus.

yes, she is the only cat we have. She gets TONS of attention. she eats only the best food, her litter box is exactly where it's been since the day we got her, litter itself has never been switched as far as brands go. Shes very sweet and affectionate, almost a lap cat. shes gentle and playful. so this was a shock. she is not fixed so i think that may be a problem. it seems like she is always in heat and i read that being in heat can attribute to her spraying. we'll see how she behaves now that she isnt in heat and if anything we'll just get her fixed and see if that works. It would break my heart to give her away, even if it is to my parents. She's mine!

September 30th, 2011, 03:23 PM
It could definitely have to do with not being spayed. I would recommend getting it done before the baby comes.

October 1st, 2011, 02:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry, I work with my animals through thick and thin. Personally my opinion is getting rid of a pet due to a behavior issue is like getting rid of your child because they were diagnosed with ADHD. When you take on that committment, short of it being a life and death situation (i.e. aggression), we do what we can to work through the issue whether it be closing off areas that are causing the issue, vets, whatever. You don't get rid of your children when they have a behavior issue because you made a decision to have them and keep them, you make that same decision with a pet. They're not a lamp or a couch, they're not something you dispose of or give away because you don't like them anymore.

Adopting a pet/taking on the responsibility of a pet, is a lifelong (the pet's life) committment and you work through the issues. If you can't do that you have no business taking on the responsibility.

I also agree that if the cat is not spayed that should be done ASAP and may help with or elminate the issue if hormones are what is causing the issue.
October 1st, 2011, 05:11 PM
Pets and children and are two totally different things and shouldnt be compared. That is my biggest pet peeve. I too work with rescue for many years but realize there is a big difference between humans and animals. I love my dogs, and cat, like family but if their behavior is going to harm my son or anything, they're gone.

October 2nd, 2011, 08:26 PM
thanks for all the advice girls.. we definitely do not want to get rid of her, she is the love of my life... so we are visiting a vet this week to discuss getting her fixed immediately..with not much time left before my due date, we need to get this done now so i can take care of her and not worry about not giving her what she needs post op! i pray that this will be the solution to her urinating everywhere, because she seems to only do this when she's in heat. anyway, thanks again1

October 3rd, 2011, 05:35 AM
Hope it helps!! Good luck

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search