Do you clip your own pets?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Super Mommy
We have a cocker spaniel and 2 long haired cats. We get the our cocker and one of the cats shaved down a couple times a year, and it adds up.

We are looking at purchasing our own clippers to do this at home ourselves. We don't wanna purchase some cheap clippers that won't hold up so I'm asking for any of you that clip your own animals, do you have a recommendation as to a good one?
October 26th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd recommend that you do NOT shave them at all (you or anybody else). It's actually not good for animals to be shaved except in extreme cases (i.e. severe matting). You're much better off to have them properly groomed, coats trimmed to a proper length, brush them 2-3 times a week, etc rather than shaving them. Animals have fur coats to protect them from the elements, and they work to keep them cooler in the summer months and to protect them from the sun (shaved pets have a MUCH higher chance at developing skin cancer), and they keep them warm in the winter and protect them from cold temperatures. This is why most with thicker coats "blow" their coat twice a year, it's to change the make up of their coat to work for summer or winter...mother nature has provided quite well for them. (I have a German Shepherd, I live in Arizona where it's 120 degrees in the summer, he spends time outside and actually stays cooler than my Boxer who has an extremely short coat).

If you are truly set on shaving them and no amount of research will change your mind, then to answer your original question, no I would not recommend that you do it yourself. If you nick them with the clippers it can be dangerous and cause infections. Grooming should be done by a professional who is trained to groom animals. If you do the training and then choose to do it, I see no harm in that, but I would not recommend that you trim your own animals unless you have the training and knowledge to do it.

Huge pet peeve of mine that grooming facilities offer shaving, even though it is a bad idea for the animal in 99.9% of cases.
October 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Super Mommy
Okay I don't mean shaved down right to she skin. Not even close when it comes to our cocker spaniel. Which is one reason that I'm not concerned about taking a clippers to her, because we don't go that short, and we usually only clip her down once, maaaaaybe twice a year.

As for the cat, yeah she needs to get shaved right down. Lion cut. She's got lots of long thin hair that mats something fierce. She gets pissed when we try brushing her. She didn't mind one bit getting shaved down, heck she was the happiest and most active I've ever seen her in her lifetime afterwards. She's strictly an indoor cat, no worries about being cold, getting sunburnt, etc.

Our other cat however, has never had problems with his coat, but this year he's started to get a few mats here or there. I'll be honest and say that in all his years I've hardly ever brushed him as he's always had a beautiful coat, plus he'll take a chunk out of you. The husband and I tackle him together, and have managed to cut lose the matted pieces. I'd feel horrible taking him to groomer. He ONLY likes to be touched on his own terms. lol.

Last edited by mrs.klynn; October 26th, 2011 at 08:16 PM.
October 27th, 2011, 07:00 AM
luvmygirls333's Avatar Super Mommy
We shave our Pomeranian 1-2 times a year. I really don't like to do it, b/c we are not good at it and I think he looks silly for the first couple of weeks afterward, until his fur starts to even out. But my DH will say "he's looking scraggly, let's shave him" lol. We also use the clippers to trim the fur around his butt every other month or so, b/c if we don't, it can get messy. We actually just shaved him a few days ago, but that was b/c he had ticks. I thought I got them all after our walk in the woods, but then I found one I missed that was attached and DH thought he might have more, but it's so hard to see through that big coat, so he got shaved. I just don't have the $55 to spend on a groomer. We have a mid-priced clipper and it works fine...just the operator isn't that good
But now he looks silly and I feel a little awkward taking him places...I think in the future I will save and splurge on a groomer twice a year.
October 27th, 2011, 10:02 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
If you are looking for a good long lasting pet clipper, this is the one I used to use when I was a groomer. It's a great clipper. Andis AG Super 2-Speed Clipper | PetEdge.com

My mom has me currently clip her dogs and she has the Wahl pet trimmer that you can pick up at walmart or any place and it works fine as long as you keep it good and oiled.

As a groomer, some pets enjoy being shaved, and some families prefer it. I think it's up to the person. I have shaved labs before, lol kinda seemed pointless but oh well.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me =]
November 17th, 2011, 05:22 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
I have a cocker spaniel/bischon mix, a ****-a-chon... bet it stars the first part of that out...

His hair doesnt grow out as long as the cockers, but it curls up like the bischon and gets wavy and matty. (cuz he tends to like to roll around in everything outside lol) I have to brush him often to keep the tangles out.

I take him to a professional because I dont own a pair of good clippers and really dont think I could clip him properly.

Though since his hair doesnt grow out as long, I dont have to have him clipped but once a year.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
November 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is nothing wrong with shaving a cocker spaniel. I have 3 springer spaniels and they get shaved quite often. If I had a cocker I'd keep it shaved year round.. wayyy too much hair.

I used to be a groomer. Believe me, nothing wrong with shaving that breed. If you do it yourself you should really get a good pair of Andis clippers. Dont go cheap. You get what you pay for.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search