baby bunnies - please help!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
What do baby bunnies eat? I've heard mixed advice and don't know what to do.

DH found 9 baby rabbits in the garden at his firehouse. They are small, maybe 5-6 inches long, not sure how old they are. They look like miniature rabbits though, not like bald babies with floppy skin. They were hopping around outdoors without their mother.

We've offered them pellets, hay, fresh grass, carrots, apples. One eats the hay, none eat the pellets, they all eat the grass, carrots, and apples. I haven't seen any of them drink water. I put a bottle in the cage, and when they didn't drink that (that I saw anyway), I put in a very small/low dish of water, but they haven't touched it that I have seen.

Someone told us we shouldn't give them lettuce at this age. On the internet, I read that bunnies shouldn't eat too much fresh greens. I called a feed store, who said they can eat anything except iceburg lettuce, and if they're not eating pellets it's ok.

Does anyone know what the truth is? So far they aren't eating hay or pellets, only fresh foods, and I don't know if that's ok. They love fresh grass the best, so we've been giving them lots (or I should say, my girls have been giving them lots!)

Also, DH wants to keep them outside, but they are so little, and it's been in the high 20s at night, so I kept them inside last night. They are in a hutch, with lots of alfalfa hay, and inside the hutch is a cardboard box with a very small door cut in one side, and lots of hay inside the box also. I set the box on loose hay to increase insulation, and covered the entire hutch with a blanket last night (but then changed my mind and took the bunnies inside anyway). Do you think this is ok? Eventually they will be outdoor bunnies, I know I know, the SPCA would not approve, but I promise they will be well-housed and cared for, and allowed a big pen in which to hop around. We live in CA, with a mild coastal climate, typically mid 30s at night and in the 60s days (in winter).

ETA picture: These are the three we're keeping! My 3-yr-old is holding them, if that gives you any idea of how little they are.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

Last edited by LisaB; December 5th, 2011 at 01:32 PM.
December 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would recommend you contacting a rabbit rescue, doesn't need to be in your area if you are simply requesting advice, but it may be helpful to have them in your area. If you wanted they could also find homes for them, but if not I am sure they would still be willing to help you with information on how to properly care for them.

You could also contact a local vet or 4H club as both would probably have information as well or could at least help with information. And the Humane Society/SPCA in your area would probably have information also as they receive all types of animals and at all different ages.

Best of luck!
December 8th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Those bunnies are so adorable

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search