Another dog food thread

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2006, 04:54 PM
mrobinson
So we're are going to incorporate new dog food into Roxy and Mason's diet. (I knida think maybe Roxy's teary eyes are related to her diet.)

This is a made in Canada dog food by Techni-Cal.

I couldn't find the same food we got the dogs so I'll list what the bag says:

Natural Blend, Holisitic Dog Food:
Chicken meal, whole brown rice, pearl barley, chicken fat (naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract and citric acid.) brewers rice, chicken, whole oatmeal, natural flavors, beet pulp, salmon meal, dried eggs, tomate pomace, potassium chloride, whole flaxseed, salt, apple pomace, carrot pomace, brewers yeast, whole alfalfa, calcium carbonate, canola oil, chicory extract, whole spinach, choline chloride, salmon oil, Vitamins (vitamin a, d3, e, c, )

K, that's only like half... also has whole ~ broccoil, sweet potatoes, apples, blueberries, pears, banana, dried kelp, and even more....

It also says
No:
-by products
-yellow corn
-soy
-wheat
-beef
-artificial flavours
-cheap fillers
-artificial additives or preservatives.
July 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM
appifanie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
never heard of but it's a royal canin page - i've never heard anyone rave about them (but i've never heard anyone complain either). ingredients sound okay though

i'm sure i've asked, but i forget - do they get filtered or bottled water? logan's eyes cleared up after we switched him to better water.
Olivia Grace ~ October 26, 2006 ~ 6:04a.m.

July 8th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Those on my dog board that use Royal Canin are very pleased with it. Judging from the ingredients I would say it is a substantial upgrade from Nutro!
I hope ir helps with her eye ickies!

July 9th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Royal Canin is not the best brand, but definitely not the worst.. With that said, I think the ingredients list looks pretty good..

you might want to check out Mordy's web site.. http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

You will find tons of information
July 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
never heard of but it's a royal canin page - i've never heard anyone rave about them (but i've never heard anyone complain either). ingredients sound okay though
i'm sure i've asked, but i forget - do they get filtered or bottled water? logan's eyes cleared up after we switched him to better water.[/b]
Dh always asked me why do I give the dogs the peasant water... I'll give it a try.

Quote:
Royal Canin is not the best brand, but definitely not the worst.. With that said, I think the ingredients list looks pretty good..

you might want to check out Mordy's web site.. http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

You will find tons of information[/b]
If it's not the best brand, why? Or is it because you want me to use the other instead?
July 10th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The one concern that jumps out at me is the brewer's yeast. I believe that it's another possible allergy trigger. I can't remember all the details (my brain is a little fuzzy this a.m.) but I can dig up some more info it you're interested.

July 10th, 2006, 01:49 PM
mrobinson
(interested) Thanks Amy!
July 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM
I went and reviewed the info I had about brewer's yeast and it looks like it's another one on the list of common allergens (along with corn, wheat, chicken, lamb, beef, fish, milk, pork, eggs). It most commonly triggers intense itching. It's often recommended as a natural deterent of fleas so I think that's why it's in a lot of foods. The more common it is the more likely it is to be an allergy trigger.

If you'll be eliminating corn and wheat by going with the new food, I think that's a good start. Hopefully, that will be enough to help with her watery eyes. Unfortunately, if a dog has allergies that are triggered by something it's possible that after enough exposure another ingredient in the food will also trigger allergic reactions. Just something for everyone to keep in mind - just because your dog does well on a certain food for a while doesn't mean that he will do well on it forever.

July 14th, 2006, 05:23 PM
MommieinNC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to point you to the thread I posted about "dog food making the grade"... cuz from what you've posted here, it looks as if your food should score pretty good...
July 16th, 2006, 10:26 PM
mrobinson
Thanks Cari ~ I'll check it out.
July 18th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Have you started the new food? Just wondering how it was going so far.

July 24th, 2006, 08:20 AM
mrobinson
It's going really good.. We also started with bottled water for the dogs and now Roxy's tears are getting better.
July 24th, 2006, 09:17 AM
That's great!

July 27th, 2006, 05:57 AM
appifanie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
It's going really good.. We also started with bottled water for the dogs and now Roxy's tears are getting better. [/b]
isn't it wacky that water can mess them up? but !!
Olivia Grace ~ October 26, 2006 ~ 6:04a.m.

July 27th, 2006, 02:48 PM
mrobinson
I'm just glad I had you guys here for all the tips!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search