Need advice: Should we get rid of the cat?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shakou

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! I have a question/concerns about our cat. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Our cat, Peter, is about 8 months old. He used to be a cuddly cat, but he's turned into part demon anymore. I think part of it might be because when he was little, the kids didn't really handle him well (how they held him, picked him up, etc.). Here's what he's been doing:
~chasing, biting, and scratching the kids (not all the time, just 1-2x/day)
~pooping and peeing in DD Ava's hamper (had to get rid of it)
~peeing all over DS Aiden's mattress (had to get rid of it)
~tearing up the toilet paper
~putting holes in the couch's slipcover
~playing with the mice and maybe killing them eventually (didn't notice mice in the house until we got the cat)

Ava told me this morning that we should send him back to where we got him but then changed her mind.

Oh, he is neutered.

What do you think? Keep him or give him away? He's not really friendly to anyone except me and DH at times. I liked having him when he was little, but now that he's acting like this, I'm not so sure.

Also, if we get rid of him, do we not get another cat or maybe try another kitten? I don't know if he acts this way because it's his personality or if it's because of the way the kids treated him.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Oh, he's strictly an indoor cat. We've been thinking of getting him declawed. Would that make anything better?

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

January 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ehh.. all the issues I'd deal with except for peeing on the mattress. That would probably be it for me.

Sounds like he needs to go outside in my opinion. Do you live in the city? Our cat was a royal PITA until we let him outside. He is much happier now.

As for peeing on things I hope someone has advice for you. Thats a deal breaker for me. Have you recently switched litter? Do you clean the box everyday? Some cats prefer certain litters and want their box extra clean.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 15th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the reply! Honestly, I don't buy the same litter because I always forget which litter I bought the last time. I think we probably go a little too far between cleanings. I need to make sure we do that more often.

Questions about having an indoor/outdoor cat (always had indoor cats when I was growing up)...Do they just sit outside the door until you let them in? Do you keep them outside while you're at work? Is it okay to let them out in the winter? What do you do about flea/tick control? We live in the country, so he could go outside.

Oh, someone on another message board suggested getting him a companion. Does that sound like a good idea?

January 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well I think you answered a portion of your own question right there. First off I'd say buy the same litter each time and make sure you're cleaning the box out EVERY DAY. First off your kitty is in the terrible "teen" years so they get like that around 8-12 months give or take. But if he's going to the bathroom in other parts of the house, it may very well be either he is ill (have you had him checked for a bladder infection at the vet?) or that he doesn't like the new litter, or that his box is not clean enough for his liking.

I would recommend that you first keep the same litter (write down the name if you have to) and then make sure to clean it everyday. That may solve a portion of your problem right there.

Give it a few weeks and see if things get any better. If not, then I'd recommend a vet check to make sure he isn't ill. If that checks out, then you can go from there. But I'd do those 2 things first and see how it goes.

If you choose to put him outside DO NOT get him declawed.

And the companion MAY work. It did for us, my cat was around 8 months, started into those terrible teen years, he was chewing up my husband's dress military shoes (which are expensive), and we got another cat who was a little over a year old and all of our issues disappeared and we never had another problem and that was 10 years ago. However, that isn't always the case. If your cat is doing it from boredom, then it may help the issue, if he's doing it because he's mad about changing litters or an unclean box, is ill, or something else, then it won't solve your issue.

Last edited by SpazTaz; January 15th, 2012 at 05:57 PM.
January 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a doggy door for Binks, so he comes in and out as he pleases. But if the door is shut for some reason, he yells until someone lets him in or out. I use Advantage II for fleas/ticks.
Before we let Binks outside he was really destructive. He chewed everything, I mean EVERYTHING from metal to picture frames to walls.. it was bad. Letting him outside stopped all that.

I would change the litter box everyday. We had one cat growing up that if it wasnt clean, shed pee on the floor. Also we stuck to the same litter.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 16th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the replies! I'll go clean out the box in a minute. Still looking for a companion also.

January 27th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Brie_Cheese's Avatar Regular
You've gotten some solid advice here. I recommend Tidy Cats for a litter. It clumps tightly around everything, including pee and makes cleaning the box much easier. It also tends to smell less. If you do chose to get him a kitty companion, get him an older companion. Another kitten will just be twice as much crazy.

As far as letting him outside, Revolution is excellent for flea control. Frontline tends to not work as well, so try not to get that. I am never ever for declawing a cat as it can literally cripple them. The procedure involves taking off the first part of their toes. If you don't let him outside, you can try soft paws (plastic caps that go over their nails). You can usually buy them at your local petstore and put them on yourself or have the vet or a groomer do it if you feel more comfortable that way.

Hope this helps I always hate seeing cats given up because destructive behavior and peeing outside the litterbox are two of main causes of a healthy cat being returned to shelters and, eventually euthanized.
February 1st, 2012, 01:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, I wouldn't let him outside. I'm not for outdoor/indoor cats unless you live on a farm. Too many dangers out there for a little kitty.

Getting him a companion will only double your trouble. Where he pees, his friend will pee.....

For the peeing:

1 - take him to the vet & make sure he doesn't have any health issues - uranary track infection or something.
2 - make sure his litter box is clean & find a little he likes. It may take you a few tries but some cats are extremely picky. But it has to be clean. You may consider getting 2 litter boxes so he has enough space.

The other items - it sounds like he's board. Get him some cat toys or a string/shoelace & play with him.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
February 3rd, 2012, 04:27 PM
Caerus's Avatar Due in Sept 2014
I just wanted to add that my parents had my sister and I's first cat declawed a few months after they adopted him. He bites like no cat I've ever known. From everything I hear, this is not uncommon at all. When you take away their claws, even just the front ones, they turn to biting instead. It doesn't really help behavior issues, honestly.

That cat (who is purring on my desk as I type this) was a complete jerk until he got older. He calmed down incredibly after puberty passed (even though he'd been neutered since he was little), and is a super loving cat now. It helped him to have a cat friend, though we didn't get a cat for that purpose. When DH and I got married, my mean old grouch was forced to live with his younger, laid back cat, and they *eventually* became best of friends. DH's cat rubbed off on him, and he gets his energy out playing with him.

Definitely have him checked for a UTI, and be super diligent about cleaning his litterbox, at least for a while. Make sure he has somewhere he can run away from the kiddos, when he doesn't want their attention. Those 2 things will probably make all the difference.

Thanks to Bokkechick for the lovely siggie!

Pregnant #1 with 2 Angels in Heaven
February 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM
SuperMom
Okay...I am a tech at the vet so let me see if I can off some professional advice...

On the aggressive behavior...the best thing for him would most likely be a playmate. I have a cat who was a holy terror when he was a baby. I rescued another cat and he stopped beating up on me. I mean I would go to work with bite marks on my legs. But first I would address the bathroom issues.....

On the litter pan issues....they make something called Feliway. It is basically an environmental neutralizer and calmer. Makes them not want to potty elsewhere. They make plugins, similar to the Glade plugins, and they also make area sprays. They sell them at Petsmart. Make sure you scoop his pan at least once a day. Change and scrub his litter pan completely at least once a month to get rid of any odors. You may have to introduce another pan to another part of the house. Maybe he gets busy playing and can't make it to the pan and goes where he feels necessary. Also, if he continues peeing inappropriately, you may want to take him and have him tested for a urinary tract infection. Male kitties are bad about getting those.

The toilet paper issue will subside if you get him a friend. I have a female cat that still occassionally does this but I think she's just playing.

If you have him declawed, make sure he never goes outside. He can not defend himself if you have him declawed. This will help with the furniture picking. The younger you have this done the better he will recover. The bad part about declawing is, unless he has a buddy to play with and redirect his playing, he may start biting more.

As for the mouse problem, sounds to me like he is doing his job. Even if he's playing with it, he's still done his duty and caught it.

I would try everything you could to better the situation before getting rid of him. There are so many kitties that don't have homes because no one wants to adopt them due to the economy. It would better to keep him and rescue another one rather than adding to the homeless kitty population :-))

Good luck!!!

April 6th, 2012, 02:53 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my kittys have very close behavior but only for 3 reasons all but 1 of which are easily fixable. Cats at least mine are typically very territorial and they dont like new people as iv normally lived in apartment Harley has always had a tendency to act that way anytime i get a new roomate for a few weeks. she even did it sometimes when my roomates would switch boyfriends if a new guy started sleeping in "her house" for more then 1 night it was 2 weeks of hell that one you kind of just have to let them get used to the intruder. if your cat is super sensitive it may not even be someone new in your home someone nearby you or another familly member for prolonged periods of time can get there scent on your clothing eliciting the same reaction harley has a fit if i let someone borrow my hoodie the one she likes to sleep on.

the second reson she acts like this is normally when her litter box is dirty or her litter gets on the floor or water from the shower got in her litter or any freaking thing to do with her litter come to think of it shes kind of a premadona. but that ones easy cleen the box or sweep the floor.

and the 3rd is harley and spazz are both indoor/outdoor cats we let them out in the mornings and they come in or out at will untill if after about 2 am their not both in which they normally are i go get them. if however another cat specifically a pregnant 1 happens to decide that our porch looks like a fun place to be while they are outside this apparently means they must come inside and become a holy freaking terror untill i come outside and see there is another cat im not sure why on this 1 it makes no sense they are in no way aggressive towards the cats but they will litterally jump on my head and swat me in the face until i come out after i do and say hey random kitty number 17 its all good though.

oh 1 more thing if your litter box happens to be below the tolit paper or near it he may not be doing it intirly on purpose harly scratches the floor and walls after takeing a poo and if it smells bad will even drag the towels off the rod and cover it up yeah actually the more i try to defind your cat the more i relize mine is just a total B lol

Last edited by NewGurl; April 6th, 2012 at 02:59 AM.
May 10th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Not to be rude, but please, if you get rid of him, DON'T get another cat or kitten. This isn't uncommon for cats, especially ones that are so young, and if you're not willing to put in the effort to fix the issue or deal with it, cats probably aren't the pet for you.
Calendula and Rinchan like this.
May 15th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Veteran
I wouldn't leave a young child around a can unsupervised because they can hurt the animal. And it isn't fair to the cat.

Does anyone rough play with him with their hands? That could teach him that hands are a toy.

Along with the teenage stage, he could also be very active. Try to find toys that he likes that will exercise him. If he continues to bite and scratch, give him a firm no to show him that the behavior isn't appropriate.

As for the litter box, it might need to be cleaned more. Some cats are tidier than others. Also don't declaw, this can lead cats to stop using litter boxes completely and it is extremely painful.

If you need more advice go to catforum.com It's a place for cat lovers and they have a lot of good advice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search