Please do not ever use Hartz flea products - they kill!!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2012, 05:53 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our 12 week old puppy Kody is dying right now b/c of one of their products.

We live in the country, and our dogs get fleas, so when Kody was 12 weeks old, and over 4lbs, I applied some topical flea drops to him. I used Hartz Ultra Guard, and according to the package it is for puppies 4-10lbs over 12 weeks old, so we followed the directions. I put it on him yesterday afternoon between 1 and 2pm.

Today, at 1:30pm he started having seizures, and he has gone downhill from there. He lost control of his muscles, so he cannot stand or walk anymore, he started vomiting, and he can't focus on anything. His seizures went form about 20 minutes apart to 1.5 minutes apart in about an hour.

There is nothing the vet can do for him. He is going to die. I just wanted to warn everyone away from their products. Do a search online and you will find tons of horror stories about this and similar things happening to a lot of animals, but Hartz still puts their products on shelves.

I don't want anyone else to have to go through what we are going through right now.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
May 10th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Still? This was an issue that was going on years back, where animals (I think cats) were having seizures after having Hartz flea medication put on them. It actually made it to the news. Honestly though, it's not a surprise. The company sucks as a whole, and pretty much everything they make is of crappy quality.
May 10th, 2012, 03:23 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't want to get it, we use Pet Armor on our other animals, but I let my DH and my SIL talk me into getting it against my better judgement, b/c it was only $4 compared to $25 for the Pet Armor. *sigh* I knew side effects were possible, so when he very first started seizing I gave him two baths to wash it off. I know if I didn't, he probably wouldn't have made it.

Thankfully, he pulled through. NO one thought he would make it, not even the people at Hartz. It was 12 terrifying hours of him seizing, though.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
May 11th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I'm glad he's safe and pulled through okay.
May 13th, 2012, 07:53 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My cousins cat died years ago from Hartz shampoo. Will never use that product.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

May 15th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Veteran
we lost a whole litter of 14 week old kittens to the same product when we called the company they said there was no way to prove their product killed our babies. We now use pet armor and our 3 kitties are all healthy but I admit after that aweful experience I get nervous putting on any flea control no matter the brand
May 30th, 2012, 02:11 PM
mom2pne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad your puppy made it!

ajstout sorry about your litter of kittens!
May 31st, 2012, 01:44 PM
kolbysmom's Avatar Ready For Spring!
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbysmom
Oh. My. Goodness! I had never heard of this. I'm so glad I happened upon this post.
I'm so glad your puppy made it through.

I had to go check to see what product we were using since I bought it at Walmart. It's Adams..hopefully it's safe.

Come Join the Fun Over at Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies
If You've Got Boys, Stop by the Moms of Boys board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search