Husky owners

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2006, 10:52 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
The best thing to do is google the breed to find out what you "should" expect, HOWEVER... any dog can be good or bad depending on how it's raised. I'd recommend going with a rescue group rather than a breeder. You should also look at things like medical problems that run in the breed, life expectancy, size, etc. Will this be an indoor dog or (God forbid) and outside dog? Have you read up on introducing children/babies to pets? It's great that you're thinking about it now. Dh and I did the same thing. We closed on our house the same week we got married (that was a CRAZY week!), and by xmas, we had our puppies. They're nearly 4 now, and like children to us.

I'm not sure about the hair thing... I have an american eskimo in south texas. We just shave her every summer.
July 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not too familiar with them but their Breed club website is a great place to start:

http://www.shca.org/

Rescue is a great suggestion. You'll be able to find a husky that is cat safe and will be comfortable with your kids. Good luck on your research!

July 21st, 2006, 10:32 AM
elmwolfe's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via ICQ to elmwolfe Send a message via AIM to elmwolfe Send a message via Yahoo to elmwolfe
Sarah,
I founded and am the current president of a Siberian Husky rescue in VA. (See link in my sig)

Ask away. PM me if you need specifics. I have a wonderful brochure I could send you or you can read an article I have on our website which sums up the breed in a nutshell here.

Siberian Rescue has wonderful links on their pages, and even international ones.

A common joke amongst husky owners is that literature will say "Huskies shed twice a year..." the part that they tend to leave out is "...for six months at a time!". But don't let that alarm you. It is a lot of hair though so you need a very good vacuum.(Dyson is my preference). Actually the husky coat is dual purposed, double coated and should never be shaved. The soft undercoat is shed about twice a year to keep them cooler in the summer and to grow in thicker for winter months. The long outer hairs, called guard hairs are actually hollow and help to pull the heat away from their body in the summer but lay down flat against their body to hold in the undercoat and heat to keep them warm in cold weather. One of my two is a sunbather. He loves to lay in the sun. Generally huskies are good with children but every dog is different. Most rescue organizations will be able to tell you if the dog is good around children since we house them in our homes with us and can test that out before you decide to adopt that specific dog. I suggest, especially because you have young children, that you try to contact a rescue organization if one exists near you.

Good Luck!

July 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WOW! It's great that you have a rescue! That's one goal dh and I have for the future... pay off some things and then get a piece of land out in the country so we can run our own rescue group.
July 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Erica! Thanks for sharing all that great info!

July 25th, 2006, 11:53 AM
babydollz_676's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to babydollz_676
i think i have a husky mix now.we found her overheated and about 6 weeks old laying under a car so we took her in and she goes to the vet today so we'll see if he thinks she's mixed with husky and german shepard.my husband wanted a husky very badly but i said no because of the coat (we live in a fairly warm climate) but this little girl needs us so i told my husband he better buy me one of those dyson vaccums lol.i'm familiar with the german shepard breed but i know very little about huskies so now i'm off to read everything about huskies that i can gets my hands on
dd~1
July 25th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Sarah,
I founded and am the current president of a Siberian Husky rescue in VA. (See link in my sig)

Ask away. PM me if you need specifics. I have a wonderful brochure I could send you or you can read an article I have on our website which sums up the breed in a nutshell here.

Siberian Rescue has wonderful links on their pages, and even international ones.

A common joke amongst husky owners is that literature will say "Huskies shed twice a year..." the part that they tend to leave out is "...for six months at a time!". But don't let that alarm you. It is a lot of hair though so you need a very good vacuum.(Dyson is my preference). Actually the husky coat is dual purposed, double coated and should never be shaved. The soft undercoat is shed about twice a year to keep them cooler in the summer and to grow in thicker for winter months. The long outer hairs, called guard hairs are actually hollow and help to pull the heat away from their body in the summer but lay down flat against their body to hold in the undercoat and heat to keep them warm in cold weather. One of my two is a sunbather. He loves to lay in the sun. Generally huskies are good with children but every dog is different. Most rescue organizations will be able to tell you if the dog is good around children since we house them in our homes with us and can test that out before you decide to adopt that specific dog. I suggest, especially because you have young children, that you try to contact a rescue organization if one exists near you.

Good Luck![/b]

What a wonderful service you do!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search