Dog Parks?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 13th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
What are people's opinions on dog parks?

We usually go to one 3-4 times a week and have done this since about December. It notes on the door that you assume liability for your dog if it hurts another dog or owner. It also recommends against bringing in unneutered male dogs given they tend to be more dominant.

Do you think this is fair?

Last night a 2 yr old unneutered male doberman attacked a rotti. The owners also tried to take off since this isn't the first time this dog has had issues.

I love going there and so does our female american bulldog but I don't feel I can go there without my DH now since what if next time its my puppy that is attacked?

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
June 16th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaaka View Post
It also recommends against bringing in unneutered male dogs given they tend to be more dominant.

Do you think this is fair?

Last night a 2 yr old unneutered male doberman attacked a rotti. The owners also tried to take off since this isn't the first time this dog has had issues.
I don't think that it fair. We have an 80 lb German Shepard that is not neutered and my 20 lb female dog is more dominant and territorial then he is. I think it's an assumption someone may have, just as people assume Pit Bulls are all aggressive.

It seems it is just a coincidence that an unneutered male dog attacked another dog. It could just as easily been a fixed female poodle that attacked the rot.

I personally do not care for dog parks because I am afraid another dog I do not know would attack him or have some sort of disease. I've only taken my dog to one twice to meet a friend who has his brother - and we specifically went there early in the morning and left the minute other people started showing up with their dogs.

Last edited by MannyMommy; June 16th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
June 17th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am not a fan of dog parks and do not attend. I would personally prefer doggy playdates with people you know who have dogs instead so you know their personality, temperament, disease history, etc.

Yes, I do agree with not taking non spayed/neutered animals to dog parks, however not for the reason stated above and I think it should apply to both males AND females. Non spayed/neutered males and females both can cause issues themselves, but they also give off smells that can cause an issue with another dog. Either way, I do not believe they are helpful in a large pack situation such as a dog park, however again I do not put the "blame" on the non spayed/neutered dog being the aggressor, nor do I think it should only apply to males.
June 18th, 2012, 10:10 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We dont have dog parks however from being really involved with dogs for many years, I agree intact pets do not belong in dog parks. Causes too many problems.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

July 8th, 2012, 10:19 PM
MidnightMaiden's Avatar )O( Blessed Be )O(
We have all kinds of dog parks and I love taking my dog. She used to always want to play with the other dogs, but after having a litter she's calmed down and ignores all other dogs now.
She's had some problems with being attacked before, but it's due to lack of socialization on our part, we were very lucky in her not being severly hurt, but she just never knew the warning signs from other dogs.
I'm more worried about my daughter being at the dog park than I am my dog. My dog is SUPER fast, and runs away from most dogs now, where as my daughter clearly can't defend herself if there's a dog there who doesn't get along with kids.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search