Flea prevention

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By angelsailor288

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2012, 03:36 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
So, what's everyone using for flea prevention....?
Is it working well?

July 3rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will only use Frontline Plus on my dogs and cats as well as my petsitting clients. Been using it upwards of 10 years now across multiple states and never had a problem and it has always worked.

I get it through Pet Meds | Discount Pet Medications | Pet Supplies | VetDepot.com which is the best price I have found that is a US EPA approved product and not foreign.
July 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I wonder if they ship to Canada? I need something new!
I've used advantage and didn't do a darn thing. Tried Zodiak, which has worked well in the past, but again didn't do a darn thing.

Picked up some flea collars and they worked for a week! I've been spraying the dogs with tea tree oil daily till I can find something else to try. Cause wow, the fleas are bad now that the weather where I am warmed up.

July 8th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Be careful with tea tree oil, in the wrong doseage and the wrong dilution it can be extremely toxic and fatal to dogs.
July 8th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
Be careful with tea tree oil, in the wrong doseage and the wrong dilution it can be extremely toxic and fatal to dogs.
It's pretty diluted with water. But thanks for the reminder. I'd forgotten it was toxic lol gotta love pregnancy brain.

September 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
Front line only. It never fails.

September 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I switch between frontline & advantix, sometimes advantage. It seems like if you stay on one too long, the fleas become immune
NinjaCakes likes this.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

January 3rd, 2013, 12:21 PM
I work at an animal hospital and have worked in the field for the past 6 years.
Fleas are seeming to become resistant.
Only use Vet prescription products on your pets PLEASE! And if you must buy over the counter run away from hartz. There are serious, sometimes fatal reacions your pets can have from the over the counter products.
I have been very lucky using frontline and advantix on my dog. Homes with both cats and dogs, keep in mind Advantix is toxic to cats so if your cats groom or lay with your dogs, use a different product.
January 13th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Super Mommy
We use Dawn dish soap once a month.
January 17th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Veteran
I second the vote for vet-prescribed meds. We use Revolution for our dog, and have had no problems with it. Zodiak products are loaded with chemicals, and flea collars will only kill fleas around the collar. If you find the flea collar smells strong, imagine how much stronger of a smell it must be for the pets! I also second the Dawn dish soap vote. I own a home-based grooming salon, and we gave up using the flea shampoos. Dawn works WAY better and faster, and is much safer to use if you're pregnant or sensitive to chemicals. With the flea shampoos, we've sometimes had to re-bathe dogs because not all the fleas had been killed. With Dawn, one dose does it! If you dilute it, it also seems to work wonders for getting anthills under control outside!
January 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Super Mommy
instant grits work on ant hills sometimes too. I have also been told that putting simple green in a garden sprayer and hosing the yard with it is supposed to help keep the entire yard free and clear of fleas but have never done it since fleas were not an issue at my last house.

We started using the Dawn when I put a topical on my female and I don't know if she somehow contorted her body to lick it or scratched then licked her paws but I put her outside and she was spinning in circles and literally falling over after I put it on her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search