Dog clothes is necessary or not?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think clothes are silly personally. I have a white dog, Boxer, and where i've put sunscreen on him at times to keep him from getting burned, we do NOT do clothes.

The shoes I can go with if you're one to hike with your dog in heavily wooded areas or on hot pavement (like here in AZ) as I have seen dog's feet get chewed up from wooded areas and/or hot asphalt. But unless you have a good reason for it, I'm not a huge supporter of them.
July 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
When I've shaved my terriers in winter, I throw a sweater on them, just a basic one (nothing fancy). I do have rain coats for shaved winter walks. When we traveled to calgary and it was -40 with the wind chill, the dogs appreciated the jackets lol it was cold!
Most of the time, while "cute" clothing isn't necessary.

August 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Depends on the breed. My neighbor has greyhounds & we live in Chicago so they need coats in the super cold of winter.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
September 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
I don't like clothes on dogs.

October 4th, 2012, 05:19 PM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our toy breed dog needs clothes in the colder months b/c he doesn't have enough body fat to keep him warm, otherwise he sits and shivers, so you know he is really cold. We only have one tshirt for him for those days. We have never put clothes on our bigger dog, though.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
October 23rd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Hi all

I have two short hair dogs and they are toys, a mini pincher/Chewawa mix and a wire hair Scott mix terrier. I make there sweaters for the winter only. only because they shiver during the cold months.
November 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Not neccessary but, personally i put clothes on mine cuz I think he looks adorable in them I have a yorkie.
February 21st, 2013, 10:55 PM
yes, its very important .
May 26th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldnt say its necessary in summer, but in winter it can get into the 20s here so Ill throw a sweater on my sli k coated dogs, esp my cattledog/ lab/corgi cross, since she likesto stayout w the horses
June 5th, 2013, 12:12 PM
I don't like clothes on dogs because it doesn't seem natural. Meaning that it might be too hot for the dog. A bandana or something small is fine though.
June 16th, 2013, 11:28 PM
I have four dogs, but one of them is a chihuahua and my husband jokes that he has more clothing than he does! In the winter he really gets cold, so we put sweaters on him, but he has summer clothes too, we only put them on when he goes out of the house, and he knows he's going for a ride or with us if we get a shirt out.

He also knows where we keep the clothes for him and jumps up trying to reach them off the shelf, which is adorable. We also have little sunglasses for him that are just toooo cute. I bought a bike basket for him that he loves to ride in, looking like such a little dude in his shirt and glasses. He is spoiled rotten, and he loves that I take him pretty much everywhere I go lol.

So no clothes certainly aren't necessary, but I think they can be a lot of fun. I have never met a dog yet (used to own a pet sitting business for over 10 years) that has liked shoes on their paws though!
July 26th, 2013, 07:29 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I have a chiweenie, chihuahua, and a rottie. The only one that really gets clothes is my chihuahua because unless it's sweltering hot, he's always cold. Especially when I walk them during the winter or when it's rainy, he just stands there without his hoodie. He also has a t-shirt to wear indoors on really cold nights in the winter. We have this draft that I cannot fix for the life of me.
But the other two don't have anything. They have enough meat on them.
I kind of wanted to get shoes or something for the dogs since my HOA uses the salt instead of sand when it snows and gets icy. If they step in the salt, all of a sudden they start yelping in pain. And sometimes the snow gets caked in their paws and they just stop walking after a few steps. But! A friend of mine said there's this goop stuff that can go in their paws and keeps unwanted stuff out.
October 3rd, 2013, 06:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The only time I put clothes on my dog, iis in winter when we walk jog, It doesnt snow, but does get very cold. I justvput a sweater on them.
March 13th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Dogs look cute when they are dressed up.
March 15th, 2014, 06:42 PM
PoppetsMom's Avatar Veteran
Dog clothes... Some breeds, like greyhounds, do need the protection in the winter and rain. They just don't have the body fat or really a lot of fur to protect them from the elements, like say a shepard or terrier would have. So, in some cases, yes I believe they are necessary, in most others it's not necessary unless you're experiencing extreme weather conditions and really should be taking the extra precaution to protect them from the elements. Booties especially in the winter help prevent cracked pads from the salt and ice.
April 8th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Regular
For me, yes! I love looking at my dogs if they are wearing clothes. They are becoming cuter and more refreshing.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search