Shaving the hair or not?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's awful and I really encourage my clients (I'm a petsitter) to NOT do it. Dogs have fur/hair for a reason, their coats are designed for hot and cold, it protects them from UV rays and skin issues, it keeps them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. They do just fine in the wild with the coats they have, so I encourage folks to leave them the way they are for a variety of reasons.
August 2nd, 2012, 08:47 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im a dog groomer so I hate when people shave their huskies and such. However my 3 springers are shaved down for the summer. Much easier to deal with ticks, fleas, mud, burrs, etc.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

August 3rd, 2012, 09:38 AM
haha well I shave mine with a #10 blade. (very short). I much prefer someone shave their say, shih tzu, or spaniel, than have a matted mess. Its better for the dog.

August 3rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsailor288 View Post
haha well I shave mine with a #10 blade. (very short). I much prefer someone shave their say, shih tzu, or spaniel, than have a matted mess. Its better for the dog.
Or just don't get that type of dog if you aren't going to brush and groom them on a regular basis. I have a GSD, he requires brushing multiple times a week...wouldn't have gotten him if I minded doing that.
August 6th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Theres nothing wrong with shaving a down like a spaniel or shih tzu/maltese/etc (dogs with hair versus fur) with a short blade.

I'm a groomer, I'm a mom, I have 3 springer spaniels and no, I dont really have time to groom them constantly. So they get shaved. I get them because I love the breed and they fit my lifestyle. I exercise them regularly (whch is another reason they need to be short, they are in the woods, tall grass, mud, sand, etc.), they eat well and are treated well so there is no reason I shouldnt own them just because I keep their hair short. Give me a break.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search