Cat allergy advice ?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son's grandma (my mom) is allergic to our cat.

Everytime I'm with my mom she's saying I have tons of cat smell on me which really seems to set off her allergies like clearing throat,hacking,sniffling ,saying she is having a sore throat,and that her sinuses are acting up. She doesn't live with us but we spend time with her.

One thing is weird she says my son has none of the cat smell on him as I go why is it only on me and not him ?

She goes it's on your shoes/sandals and I go Brendan shoes are there too.

She goes it's on the furniture you sit and I go Brendan sits on the same furniture as he lives with me.

Then she goes You probably hold the cat more and I go wrong it's less.

She then says it's probably because I'm in open air with him .I'm like Mom he's in the car too which is a closed area and you say it's me because it didn't smell til I got in there. Then you say you can't cope with the cat smell at your house or even the wide restaurants.

So, I'm curious of why its me and not Brendan ? Could my hair be the cause of the cat smell since it's thick ? If so what kind of shampoo can get rid of cat smell in hair ?

October 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
To be really honest, I think it's more in your mom's head. It isn't unusual for people to have contact allergies like that, but if that's the case she'd have the issue with anyone with a cat and with your son as well (if it's your specific cat). No, your hair wouldn't be an issue. Unless your clothes are made out of something different than your son's (rayon, silk, etc as opposed to cotton) that is "soaking up" the dander/hair more. But if you are both wearing cotton clothes I think it may be more psychological than real. JMO.

You may want to try having her take an allergy pill prior to spending time with you or use one of the sticky brushes to use on yourself before meeting with her. Other than that, there isn't going to be a whole lot you can do.

And when she says "cat smell" what is she referring to? Ammonia? Fur? Dander? Is she reallly smelling anything or is she just having a reaction to possible hair/dander on you?
December 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
Those I know with allergies that sensitive have allergies applying across the board. I would suggest an over the counter allergy medication.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

January 9th, 2013, 08:21 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Agreed, if she really thinks it's only you, I don't think she's realizing the reality of the situation. Cat allergies aren't people specific People get strange ideas in their heads.

The only thing I can think of as far as a specific smell - maybe there's a smell to something you alone use or are near that she associates with cats, but isn't actually cat related? Such as when I smell windex I associate it with pine animal bedding (because we used it to clean our glass cages).

An OTC allergy medication certainly couldn't hurt. And if she takes it and still has issues, then that's a confirmation that it has a psychological root.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
August 14th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Elessara's Avatar Clueless first time mommy
One thing to keep in mind when dealing with pet allergies is that despite what people might think no one is allergic to the animal themselves... they are allergic to the pet dander.

I have known several people who have pet allergies and who are still able to keep pets by keeping the pet dander down by giving thier animals frequent baths. Since you do not live with your mom I would suggest getting some pet dander wipes (you should be able to find them in any pet store, hell I've even seen them at Wal-mart) and wiping your clothes down them well before visiting.

However, I do agree that it could be mostly in her head. Sometimes, people tend to let "allergies" be the excuse to not like a certain animal.

Last edited by Elessara; August 14th, 2013 at 08:56 AM.
March 13th, 2014, 06:26 AM
allergies are the worst

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search