pet abandonment

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2006, 03:31 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
http://www.doglicense.org/viewArticle.php?...60831d5fe7f8c8c

July 23rd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will admit that we had to give up an animal due to her peeing uncontrolably whenever anyone got near her (friends, family, someone ringing the doorbell, etc)...she was just terrified all of the time...HOWEVER, I gave her to a breed specific rescue who does not send their pets away to shelters nor do they kill them. They were able to find her a home that was perfect for her (an elderly couple who were housebound and usually did not entertain guests, etc) within 3 weeks. I knew our family was just not right for this poor terrified animal (we got her when she was 6 weeks old, vet said it was probably a psych problem since there was nothing physically wrong with her and unfortunately there wasn't much we could do to control it) as we have family and friends over frequently, but there is no way I would ever give an animal up to a kill shelter...I just wouldn't be able to live with myself. And I was very happy that the rescue kept us informed on her adoption outcome so we knew what became of her, and they also sent us a picture via e-mail with her new family. In the end it was the right thing to do, and she should have a happy LIFE (keyword there) in her new, quiet, less sociable home.
July 23rd, 2006, 08:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to puboochu99
It is so sad that people just give up animals to people or places that don't care about them. I am planning on breeding in a few years but I will do as much as I can to be sure the people I sell to will take good care of any animal I give them! I don't see anything wrong with giving up an animal you can't take care of if it goes to a good place. We had a dog when I was younger and we had him for about 10 years or so, but had to move to a place with a small back yard, and he was miserable so we had to give him up. But we gave him to an elderly lady who lived on a farm, and he had acres and acres to run and play on.
July 23rd, 2006, 09:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
It is so sad that people just give up animals to people or places that don't care about them. I am planning on breeding in a few years but I will do as much as I can to be sure the people I sell to will take good care of any animal I give them! I don't see anything wrong with giving up an animal you can't take care of if it goes to a good place. We had a dog when I was younger and we had him for about 10 years or so, but had to move to a place with a small back yard, and he was miserable so we had to give him up. But we gave him to an elderly lady who lived on a farm, and he had acres and acres to run and play on.[/b]

awwww that's so sweet! Yeah I totally agree with you about making sure they'll be well cared for.
July 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
No offense, but I do see something wrong with people who see pets as expendable pieces of property. A pet is a huge responsibility and a lifetime commitment, not a household fixture or decoration that you give away when it doesn't coordinate with the new drapes.
I do not believe a person should get a pet if they are overly concerned about perfect carpets or hairless sofas. A puppy is going to stain some carpets, a dog or cat is going to shed on the furniture, chances are you are going to lose a pair of shoes.
Shelters and rescues are extremely overcrowded because of these beliefs, because people thought of them as disposable objects instead of a lifetime, or even long term commitment.

I realize that, like with most situations, there are extreme cases and exceptions to the rules (ie temperament issues such as biting or sudden medical issues when a person becomes sick and is unable to care for their pet), but a puppy not being potty trained within "a reasonable time frame" is not a valid reason, IMO. If a person does not wish to accept the responsibility that comes along with owning and caring for a puppy, incuding feeding, vet care, potty training, socializing and even the possibility of illness then they should not get a dog.

July 24th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
No offense, but I do see something wrong with people who see pets as expendable pieces of property. A pet is a huge responsibility and a lifetime commitment, not a household fixture or decoration that you give away when it doesn't coordinate with the new drapes.
I do not believe a person should get a pet if they are overly concerned about perfect carpets or hairless sofas. A puppy is going to stain some carpets, a dog or cat is going to shed on the furniture, chances are you are going to lose a pair of shoes.
Shelters and rescues are extremely overcrowded because of these beliefs, because people thought of them as disposable objects instead of a lifetime, or even long term commitment.

I realize that, like with most situations, there are extreme cases and exceptions to the rules (ie temperament issues such as biting or sudden medical issues when a person becomes sick and is unable to care for their pet), but a puppy not being potty trained within "a reasonable time frame" is not a valid reason, IMO. If a person does not wish to accept the responsibility that comes along with owning and caring for a puppy, incuding feeding, vet care, potty training, socializing and even the possibility of illness then they should not get a dog.[/b]

You can have the potty training issue with full grown dogs as well. The rescue we got our boxer from (she is 2-3 years old) said she was potty trained, well she had been living at a vet's kennel for a few months going whenever and wherever she wanted, so when we got her home we found out that she was NOT potty trained. Took us a good 5-6 weeks to get her potty trained and probably 2 months before she didn't have any accidents at all. It's now been a total of 6 months, and she hasn't had an accident in months, but for awhile there it was hit and miss. The puppy we had was potty trained in a couple of days, full grown dogs definitely take more time and patients which some people may not realize as well.

**Just to clarify for us, it wasn't a potty training problem with the puppy (who was a dog when we gave her up) we had. She potty trianed in a few days and had no problems there, she simply would pee uncontrably, shake, and hide in the back of her kennel shaking and barking whenever anyone came over or got near her. She was socialized, we took her places ALL of the time, we spoke with the vet a few times about her problem, and unfortunately there wasn't much we could do. We tried training, we tried social situations, etc and she just wasn't meant to be around too many people, she simply couldn't handle it. I honestly felt bad for her because she was just terrified anytime someone got near her (even us sometimes!).**
July 24th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That is a sad picture. We did just give away one of our dogs. Unfortunately it was not really my choice entirely. We have a Rottweiller and a German Sheppard X.

We live on a military base and many woman who dont work have nothing better to do but cause trouble. We had the animal control at our door once a week for a complaint, my yards not big enough, the dogs are dangerous, they poo'd on the sidewalk (which is a lie considering they are outside on a dog line which doesnt reach the sidewalk). Apparently to own a dog it must have atleast 14 x16 feet of roaming space in the yard. We have that but because there are two dogs, it must be "double" that, so apparently we were being neglectful.

We also apparently didnt provide shelter for the dogs under the elements. Well my dogs go outside to use the bathroom, we dont just leave them there. We walk them for exersize. The animal control wanted us to build a shelter half the size of our yard with a window, some kind of air conditioning for the summer and heating for the winter! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? They arent even outside for more than 15 min in the yard! I went to base housing and they dont permit construction on the properties because it causes damage and there are hydro lines under the grass.

Basically these two woman teamed up and constantly called and complained and looked up every bit of legislation to get them taken away. Well finally we were told either move or give up one because we dont have the yard space or shelter for two. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous. Well we gave our sheppard to a great family with 4 children and a huge yard to play. We visit him all the time. Since hes been gone animal control hasn't been here once. We didnt give the rottweiller because he needs to have an owner with lots of experience in his breed.

Sorry for the vent lol. Anyways... ahha I totally lost where I was going with this.

July 24th, 2006, 09:17 AM
mrobinson
You know ladies.. There are way more examples of people just getting rid of them for the wrong reasons.. I don't want you to think I'm at all meaning you... (Of course the ladies here did find a home for their pets.. this thread, complete abandonment so I don't see it the same.)

I wish people would keep their pets like they keep their kids. It's a responsiblity for the rest of the dog's life. Lots of people just move and leave their dogs.. I would like to hunt down those owners... and
July 24th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great article, Stacey. It's a sad fact that in our society people often see pets as 'disposable' property. They rescue that I volunteer with is flooded with dogs. This is national group and everywhere in the country is running out of foster homes for the dogs that people are dumping. These are purebred, toy dogs but people don't consider that these dogs will live 15+ years and require work to raise them properly.

cayleigh4us, please please please reconsider your future breeding plans. There are way too many dogs in need of good homes as it is. I am not anti breeder but I do believe that breeders should be doing it for the good of the breed. They should show their dogs and only breed dogs that are outstanding quality. They aren't doing for the money. Please put a lot of thought into why you want to do it. If it's an interest in puppies - get involved with a rescue group or humane society. They are often in need of home for pregnant dogs and pups.

Sorry for ranting, but this topic just struck a nerve.

July 27th, 2006, 07:01 AM
appifanie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
(re breeding)

and krissy! UGH!!! where are you stationed at?? and wish those ladies had been near my DH and his ex . . . when he went to iraq, she permanently left the dog in the backyard and let him become flea and tick ridden (horrid girl she is)
Olivia Grace ~ October 26, 2006 ~ 6:04a.m.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search