Has anyone tried the thundershirt for storm anxiety?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thh20

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have a small dog that is terrified of storms. I have been using benedryl and it does seem to take the edge off of things, but I was thinking about trying the thundershirt. I've read good things about it and they do offer a money back guarantee, but wanted to see if it's worth trying or if anyone has other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
October 31st, 2012, 09:36 PM
Super Mommy
I haven't bought one but I intend to for my girl. I have met many people who use them whether it be for home use during storms or to be able to take their dog to pet events and I haven't heard anyone complain about it not helping.
October 31st, 2012, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrounded View Post
I haven't bought one but I intend to for my girl. I have met many people who use them whether it be for home use during storms or to be able to take their dog to pet events and I haven't heard anyone complain about it not helping.
Thanks. I've been on the fence for months. Please let me know if you get one and how it works.
November 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Veteran
I tried one for my girl and it dint work and I work at a kennel and it works for half the dogs we put it on so I would say 50 50 shot

Little One never forgotten 10/17/2013

Sarah & Michael
Hoping for a little miracle

November 23rd, 2012, 05:52 AM
Arya's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Siberian Husky is terrified of thunder and fireworks. I saw the Thundershirt advertisement on TV so I was curious about it too. I went ahead and put one of my husband's shirts on him, and it worked like a charm. He instantly calmed down, and went to sleep, like nothing was happening. I was speechless! Now, every time it happens, I put the shirt on him and he's fine. I would suggest you try any shirt on your dog first, to see if that will work, before paying money for a Thundershirt.
January 17th, 2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran
We bought one for our dog, who hates fireworks or anything that generates smoke (candles, incense, etc...). It didn't work for her. Neither did the Rescue Remedy. More recently, I bought some lavender essential oil (a suggestion that Cesar Millan made in one of his episodes to calm a stressed dog) . I put a few drops on my hands, rub it to warm it up, then let her sniff my hands and give her a bit of a massage. Works well! When I groom her (which she doesn't enjoy), I let her sniff the oil, and you can see her nervousness dissipate.
laleighpop likes this.
March 4th, 2013, 07:04 PM
ameliabedelia's Avatar Member
I got my dog one, and it didn't help much BUT he has serious issues likely stemming from previous abuse, and we didn't do much else in the way of training when he wore it, so that's probably why. I know a lot of people who got great use out of it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search