Adjusting cat behavior

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
So, I'm a dog person. I always have been. Not that I don't like cats but I prefer my canine companions. Oddly, we now have two cats. It puzzles me at times how this happened! Regardless, I love the little jerks. I don't really know how to train a cat, though. I get that there's not much point to physical punishment, because that teaches them to fear the person rather than discouraging the behavior. Every cat I've ever known will do what they aren't supposed to if people aren't around.

Fortunately this doesn't apply to our biggest problem. Our older cat came to us only a year ago, so he's had his whole life to have his bad habits reinforced by unknowing owners. In particular, when he wants something (attention, food, water) he will walk in front of us. Then if we don't give him what he wants, he'll start biting our feet while walking in front of us to make his point more clear. Obviously this makes walking to the next room safely a problem if he's in a lovey dovey mood. Ignoring him doesn't seem to be making an impact, he simply becomes more and more persistent. And since I'm pregnant, I'm worried about tripping over him. Not only that but he occasionally gets kicked as we don't know he's there, and then I feel horrible and want to hold him (which reinforces this behavior).

I understand he doesn't know this is an issue - he's clearly been taught by someone that it's the most effective way to get what he wants. I'm simply seeking a way to correct this behavior. Any advice?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
December 22nd, 2012, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You can get a squirt bottle and squirt him with water. Or a can (like a soda can) and fill it with 4-5 pennies and shake it when he does it. You can walk slowly and nudge him away.
December 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
I would recommend the spray bottle. For us it actually reduced the amount of time they spent on the banned surfaces (as evidenced to the lack of fur), but once you quit using it they return to the habit.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

January 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM
Agree with the spray bottle technique. Stay consistant. Dont give in once in a while. Itll make all the work you've done useless.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search