hi!!

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
hi everyone! hey lisa, didn't know you cohosted here ~ cool!

im a mama to 4 boys...dh matt, ds ricky, ds christian and duecey doo pup.

we adopted deuce from a nokill shelter here in vegas, he was only there for about 4 days before we got him. we actually didn't like how big he was cause we wanted tiny small, but it ended up that he had the best persoanlity out of all the pups we looked at...it's so hard saying NO to any of them and leaving any of them there...sigh. he was around 7 months of age when we got him (estimated as he was found in a petsmart parking lot supposedly) and after getting him home, we realized he was perfect sized for our family! im sooo glad we got him.

but we brought him home and there was a lot of work to do. he wasn't paid very much attention to in his previous family, that was obvious. he has a peeing issue though and it drives me up a wall. it has gotten better but it happens if you pet him sometimes and it makes me not want to pet him but then that makes it worse...we've had our ups and downs since we got him in april, and even got to the point we didn't think we could handle him anymore with the baby getting to start moving and crawling we didn't want any dog poop eating incidents. but when dh and i talked about giving him away we both broke down crying and just could not do it, and it came out that we both agreed WE weren't giving him our 120%, we weren't setting him up to succeed or listening to his needs enough. and ever since that day it's been a 180, there's still accidents in the house but that is competely expected. and we got him a crate so that he can stay home in the AC instead of outside in the heat, who the heck wouldn't be cranky after an hour in the vegas heat!!!??? poor puppy, and it was all our fault, but we love him so so so much and he is so loyal and i couldn't imagine our family without him now.

here's some picture of us with our pup:

at the doggy park

making a friend

chillin

some treats i got him at the doggy bakery..he LOVES going here

and if you're wondering what he's mixed with...well so are we lol
chihuahua obviously and something else. breeds that have been thrown out there by others are fox terrier, pit (his stance and his jawline), besinjie (spelling)....
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I ♥ triathlon, running & hot yoga!
July 25th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
He is a real cutie!
Is he a submissive urinator? (when you bend down to pet him or when people approach him he urinates, usually during or after being touched.) Some things to try and remedy the situation:
1) If it happens when, DH, or visitors come home or greet him, do not pet or even acknowledge him until he calms down and relaxes. Once he is calm slowly lower yourself down to him (do not bend over him, this is an aggresive/dominant posture and will cause him to eliminate as a sign of his submission) and gently pet him. Speak to him in a calm, low tone.
When someone comes home or visits, they probably bend over him and talk in a real high excited voice, this only makes your dog think that his urinating is pleasing you, that it makes you happy...so it will probably continue.
To your dog, urinating (in this sense) is a compliment. He is simply letting you know that you are alpha and he is completely submissive to you. He wants to please you, and in a pack setting, this is how the submissive members appease the alphas.
here is some more information: http://www.perfectpaws.com/subr.html

I would also suggest that you work on building his confidence, if his personality is so submissive.
http://devinefarm.net/articles/submiss.htm
Quote:
TUG OF WAR
Instigate a game of tug of war with the puppy. Begin gently at first and allow him to instigate any rough play. Shake the towel in front of him and tell him, "get it". When the puppy takes the towel into his mouth and pulls, release the towel and LET him win. Then praise him generously, "good boy!".

As the puppy builds confidence and begins to pull more on the towel, offer a little resistance and tug back, but always let him win, and then praise generously!

Important Note: When doing this exercise with an Alpha dog, do not allow him to win. Make him release the towel or tug when you command, "OUT".

SUBMISSION EXERCISE
Get down onto the floor with the puppy. A more submissive puppy will lay down and turn belly up when you initiate any contact with him. A really submissive may even urinate at this point. A less submissive will just sit down and turn his head away and not make eye contact.

While you are on the floor with the puppy place your head beneath his neck and allow him to be `Dominant Dog' for as long as you both are comfortable. (Do not try this exercise with an Alpha dog, but a submissive will never try to dominate you). Repeat this exercise on a daily basis.

DOMINANT ROLL PLAY
When the puppy is comfortable with the Submission Exercise, place the puppy over the top of you and let him stand or lay over you. (Like a baby laying on your stomach.) While he is there you can massage or rub him and talk gently to him. Again, do not do this exercise with an Alpha dog, you will be inviting trouble. But a submissive dog will not try to establish himself as pack leader and will not try to dominate you.

MASSAGE THERAPY
When the puppy is laying down begin by gently rubbing (like petting) him. As he becomes more accustomed to the idea, start gently massaging the back, sides, neck, then move on to the legs, head, and finally (this should be last) belly. Because by forcing a dog to expose the belly, you are forcing him to submit to you and this is the opposite effect you are trying to accomplish.

Massage Therapy is naturally relaxing and calming. By massaging the muscles it forces the body to release endorphins and enkephalins which provide, an opium like effect, and causes the dog to relax. These substances (and other hormones in the body, such as adrenaline, nor-adrenaline, and corticosteroids) are associated with reactions to physical and psychological stress and adaptation to stress; therefore, it assists the brain to become more accepting of new, and what may usually be frightening, stimuli.

Do not force a submissive dog to accept Massage Therapy. If he gets up and walks away, let him do so. If he continues to walk away and does not accept your attentions, begin while he is standing by just rubbing him (as petting) then slowly continue the exercises and gradually work them into a massage. I have never seen a dog who eventually did not accept this technique.

NOTE: If the dog was an Alpha, I would force the dog into a Dominant Down and then continue the Massage Therapy.

SOCIALIZATION EXERCISES
Begin socialization in areas of calm and away from excited stimuli, such as the park on a quiet day. Perform Massage Therapy on the puppy on the premises where you are doing the socialization. This will help to calm him and allow him to become more accepting of new stimuli.

Introduce puppy slowly to adults or calm children. Be certain children do not run up to puppy so as not to startle him.

As puppy becomes more accepting of new situations gradually introduce him to new and more advance stimuli; each time performing the Massage Therapy at the location where socialization is to occur. Socialization of a shy pup should be done very gradually. One set back can be very hard to overcome and put you back to square one.

I STRONGLY suggest the Massage Therapy! It has cut the rehabilitation time from 1/2 -2/3 in ALL of the dogs I have worked with, be it Fear Motivated Aggressive, Dominant Aggressive, Species Aggressive; from Dominant Alpha to Submissively shy. Try it! It REALLY works![/b]
Good luck with your little one!

July 25th, 2006, 06:17 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
What a cutie! I can also see several breeds.
July 25th, 2006, 10:30 PM
omgosh stacey! im really choked up right now..that is him to a T..the submissive urination. i thught it was direspect and here it is a pleasing thing. that in it's own way it so very sweet i will DEFINITELY try these methods and games with him and you're right about the bending over and such. we do try to "ignore" him when we come home but i feel so horribly bad..but if idon't wait until he is calm, i can never love on him. you have seriously helped our family so much right now!! thank you thank you thank you!
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

July 25th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Quote:
omgosh stacey! im really choked up right now..that is him to a T..the submissive urination. i thught it was direspect and here it is a pleasing thing. that in it's own way it so very sweet i will DEFINITELY try these methods and games with him and you're right about the bending over and such. we do try to "ignore" him when we come home but i feel so horribly bad..but if idon't wait until he is calm, i can never love on him. you have seriously helped our family so much right now!! thank you thank you thank you![/b]
I am glad, I hope it helps ! This behavior is very common in dogs that were previously abused or neglected. I am glad he has found a family willing to help him work through his problem. The confidence building exercises should help a lot as well.
Let me know how it goes!

July 26th, 2006, 12:53 AM
well it hopefully goes well, i already talked to my husband and was so excited!! best of all, we're getting a new house in about 3-4 months and it would be nice to not have him doing this anymore or at least have it curbed most of the time. we're sooo on board!!!
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

July 26th, 2006, 12:55 AM
I also wanted to add:
when it happens do not punish him in anyway. Simply, clean up the mess without reacting, do not acknowledge the dog or the behavior. Punishment will only increase the behavior, as he will feel that he needs to eliminate more in order to please you.

When you come home or enter the room do not touch or acknowledge him until he is calm, it would also help to cross your arms, look away or even turn your back on him, gently and in a low voice tell him to sit. Once he has calmed down and is in a sitting position give him attention, if he begins getting excited repeat the previous actions until he is able to remain calm while you pet him.

CONSISTENCY IS THE KEY! All members of your family must be onboard and learn the techniques in order for your dog to learn the new behavior. If you are having company, either tell them the "dog rules" or kennel him during visits.

July 26th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Valarie!! Deuce is adorable!

My best suggestion is to get him enrolled in a positive training class ASAP. It will really help his confidence. You can find a trainer here:http://www.apdt.com/

Our rescue boy had a lot of anxiety when we adopted him too. I really think that obedience training made a huge difference with him. I remember our rescue rep visited us after we had completed our first six week course and she was amazed at what a difference.

Good luck!

July 26th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Welcome Valarie!! Deuce is adorable!

My best suggestion is to get him enrolled in a positive training class ASAP. It will really help his confidence. You can find a trainer here:http://www.apdt.com/

Our rescue boy had a lot of anxiety when we adopted him too. I really think that obedience training made a huge difference with him. I remember our rescue rep visited us after we had completed our first six week course and she was amazed at what a difference.

Good luck![/b]
wow! thanks for the info on this too, im sure we are on the right track now.
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search