Pet Insurance?

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2013, 01:07 PM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone have pet insurance? Is this something that is worth it?

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

February 14th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Nope. Any financial analyst/CPA will tell you it's a waste. You're better off starting a savings account for your pet and putting $30-$50 a month into that, that way if you need it, the money is there, and if you do not then you're not paying premiums for nothing and you still have your money. Many times claims are denied for various reasons as well. Typically you will end up spending more in premiums over the course of your pet's life than you will to simply pay for whatever condition that may come up that is treatable. Keep in mind as well, pets are not people, we love them yes, but at the end of the day they are animals, and so sometimes it is the kinder thing to let them go when their quality of life isn't going to have quality anymore. For example, could I have put my dog through chemo for his brain tumor to add a few months ot his life? Yep, sure could have, but it would have meant in and out of the vet's office, an expensive bill, him being unhappy for those remaining months, so, we chose not to go that route for a few different reasons.

Not something I recommend to people or do myself. Even having had animals with major medical problems (as you can see in my siggy), I still wouldn't recommend it, nor have I acquired it for my remainign pets. Make sure you have the cash to pay if you so choose, but I would (and do) skip the pet insurance.

Last edited by SpazTaz; February 14th, 2013 at 08:19 AM.
February 14th, 2013, 11:52 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks so much for your input!!!! We have several friends with it and we weren't sure we really needed it. . . but we have never had a pet before so we thought we were missing something.

We will skip the pet insurance. Such a great idea to just put some amount aside every month for them instead!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you *Kiliki* for the amazing siggy!!

Expecting our first baby August 25th, 2014!!!

March 4th, 2013, 07:01 PM
ameliabedelia's Avatar Member
I looked into it and actually had a plan (VPI) through my last job, but it wasn't really worth it. We haven't looked into it since, because we have a pretty decent savings and emergency card for pup's medical care, but it seems like a lot of those plans I HAVE encountered don't really help with any of the things we have ever been to the vet for.
July 26th, 2013, 07:34 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I've thought about getting one for my pups, but that would be a good...$120 minimum a month. The only thing I've had to worry about is sensitive stomachs, but that's under control and easy to manage.
I do have a close friend though that has insurance for his husky. But she is...a ridiculous animal sometimes. She just recently ate a toothbrush. And thank goodness that's all it was because she doesn't need surgery this time around.
I suppose it could be helpful for some pets and unnecessary for others.
July 15th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Pet insurance is Not worth it , you always have to meet a deductible ect, Any vet visit, food pet supplies are so expensive, I have www.drsmarphonemd.com which is a doctor on call service for me and my family it has been a life saver for me! I also get discounts on all my vets visits, food and supplies it saves me between 25-50 percent and its worth every penny i spend for the membership! No deductibles Nothing just guaranteed discounts on the spot and I had an issue which my dog eating my panty hose and they came to my house in a mobile unit. Its worth everyone checking out Its great!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search