Any pomeranian lovers

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM
celeste's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi all I'm Celeste, I'm a huge animal lover, but DF won't let me have any in the house, due to the fact I bought a Yorkie about a two years ago and he was HORRIBLE!!! I loved him to death, but he was so hyper and just a little on the mean side I had to give him away before I had my baby. But after some convencing (sp?) I thought it would be nice to get another dog so my DSS has something to do when he comes over and so that my son has a buddy. So does anybody know anything about them or own one themselves. I've always thought they were super cute but I just have a few questions...

Do they shead, and it they do is it really bad?
Are they hyper?
Are they good house dogs?
And would you recommend one for have a soon to be six month and a 9 yr old in the house?
And if you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend for one? I just want a good dog but I don't want to dish out the huge bucks I did when I bought my yorkie!!

TIA!!!!
July 27th, 2006, 03:18 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
From your description, I don't think a pom would be the best choice. Yes, they're small, hyper dogs like a yorkie. With a 6 month old, a small dog can be dangerous for both. A 6 mo old is just learning to crawl/walk over the next few months, will (if not already) start testing the boundary waters so-to-speak, and doesn't understand that playing rough can hurt a dog... or especially a puppy as small as a pom. Unless you're interested in breeding show dogs, I'd HIGHLY recommend getting a dog from a shelter. You could choose a dog or a puppy, but if you get a puppy, get one that's at least a year old. That way you'll know it's temperment and adult size, and you won't have to deal with all those annoying puppy training issues (biting, urinating, etc) with a baby on the floor all the time. Since you have an older child as well, a rougher breed would be more fun to play with than a toy breed. There are some small dogs that would make great "small dog" house pets without having to choose a toy breed... toy's many times have a smaller bone structure and break easily if handled improperly by children. Also, since you have a baby, you might want to consider a short haired dog if going with a smaller breed. Small dogs can become defensive (to the point of aggression if not caught early) if they're constantly having their hair/ears/tail pulled by a small child. Small children don't understand that they're hurting the dog.

Try this quiz... put in what you're looking for and it'll give you back a list of breeds that best meet your guidelines. Then, google each breed name and/or look it up at the AKC website to get specifics about size, temperament, shedding, etc.. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm Make a list of the breeds you like after googling them, and take that list to a shelter. They'll find a dog that is a purebred or mix of those you selected.
July 27th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Iris's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Celeste and welcome to the pet owners forum!

I agree what with Ben'smom said. You can also check out petfinder.com for some rescue groups near you. Since the dogs are fostered, they'll have a good idea what would be a good match for your home. Rescue is definitely the way to go. Good luck!

July 28th, 2006, 06:44 AM
celeste's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you very much that was very good advice, I did think about going to the shelter and getting a dog. But thanks that was great advice!!!!
July 28th, 2006, 08:43 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
No problem! If you have questions after you bring the dog home, we're here to help.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search