Choice of dogs with kids

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Hi everyone

Just wanted to post a quick topic to get everyone's opinion. Basically, what dogs do people think are ok to be around children? I have always had a golden retriever and love them so much. However, now that I am married, my husband wants to get a rottweiler. I definitely know 100% golden retrievers are great for kids but I just would like to know about Rottweiler's and kids. I have no idea and I am hesitant. If anyone knows, please feel free to share

Thanks,
Emily
September 2nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband grew up with rotties and absolutely adores them. Just like any dog, its all in how you raise them. Socialization is key.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 2nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
oceanwaves's Avatar WTTC
I grew up with all sorts of dogs. My first babysitter was a German Shepard/malamute cross. He let me crawl all over him and would get my parents if I made any noise. It's all about socialization. Rotties are big sweethearts when it comes to kids, they will turn into babysitters and be very wary of anyone new coming around little ones and will make sure they plant themselves in between.
October 3rd, 2013, 06:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You know, its really all in how you raise them. Rottys are great dogs, and so are goldens. I have a 1/2 choc lab/1/4qyeensland/1/4corgi cross, who is very gentle, but does not like to be cuddled or sat on, my 1/2pit/1/2 staffy, max is great with the kids. He lays with them, doesnt mind them sitting/laying partially on him, loves to cuddle. At our old house he broke our gate while we were gone and we found him at the park in the sand box filled with toddlers petting hugging and kissung him, where as sadie wouldnt have that. Ive also had a blk lab/pointer cross, amazing dog. A rhodesian ridge back/lab cross also great. I had a german shepard/akita and? Cross who was geeat. It just really depends on the dog its self, not the breed. A big factoe is honestly how they are raised. I prefer having pups because its easier to teach them to stay w u. ( sadie stays w me, max is a runner) Got sadie as a pup got max just shy of 2. I know there is a huge debate about certain breeds with kids, but everyone that meets max loves him and hes changed alot of opinions. ( hes also great w cats and farm animals/livestock)
June 29th, 2014, 03:19 PM
You have to be careful with any dog - personally I would choose a Golden Retriever -
July 6th, 2014, 01:41 PM
We have a border collie. She's hyper haha, but gets along perfectly with our children.
July 17th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Golden retrievers!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search