Pets & Relatives

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 26th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Hart_N_Sole
What do your relatives (parents & inlaws) think of your pets?

Coming from an animal loving home, my parents enjoy our animals... Or most of them, anyway. My mom has a huge fear of German Shepherds, so she doesn't care to be around my GSD's. I either crate them, or keep them on a leash, when she comes over. Other than that, my parents enjoy our animals.

The inlaws... My FIL doesn't seem to mind them at all, he usually gets the dogs to buddy up to him real quick... But my MIL, I don't really know. My husband says that she is famous for being "fake", and coming off nicer than she really is. She has complimented us on having "beautiful dogs", and she really likes my male GSD - he's a show line Shepherd ... But, at the same time, she once made a comment to me that people that have animals cannot possibly keep a clean home for their children to live in. Of course, like most things she says to me, I let it roll off my shoulders. Truth of the matter is, I keep one of the cleanest homes you will EVER see! I clean EVERY DAY - I dust, mop, vacuum, wax the wood furniture, do the dishes... I believe if we are to have as many cats and dogs as we do, I must work extra hard to keep this place clean. And I do! And she has seen it. But she wont acknowledge my hard work.

My inlaws have a dog. She lives outdoors. Guess that says enough right there.
November 26th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well my parents and my in laws live out of state. My in laws have never been here. My mom has been here twice, actually just left Saturday. She LOVES Erin and she loved Lucas when he was alive. I think the puppy may have been a bit much for her (he's still learning obviously as he wasn't quite 4 months old when she was here), but she really adored Erin.
November 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
FFIL is scared of dogs, so he doesn't like Rilo... but he's an idiot.

My parents LOVE Rilo and keep him while we're at work on Thursdays and Fridays and he goes and plays with their three dogs and gets some canine interaction. My step dad calls him his granddog.

My FMIL is the same way... will call and ask if she can 'puppysit' when she misses him. haha it's cute.

November 27th, 2007, 05:27 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
My parents love them.

MIL loves them

FIL hates them, says they are ruining our house..."Casper had a minor chewing problem as a puppy...lol he chewed up my vinyl siding"

My grandma hates them, because she doenst think we should have pets with a baby.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
December 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
Veteran
Unfortunetly my parents HATE Pitbulls. I put cute clothes on him, booties, make him do obedience..whatever, when their over to make him a bit cuter (is that possible? pitties are the CUTEST!) and it doesnt help. My dad really buys into the 'itll turn on you' crap, and the only way to break that myth is to prove it wrong. He dislikes all dogs really, and everytime he hears of a child being mauled (perticularly a pitbull mauling) he calls and tells me how unsafe my daughter is.

My inlaws hate him too. As do my SILs and their husbands. One SIL and my MIL doesnt come over anymore because they would shove him away and say things like "If you dont get away from me Im going to punch you in the skull." Huh? Not in my house! They didnt like it when I refused to crate him when they came over, and really didnt like it when I said that he is more welcome in my living room then they are. DH thankfully agrees.

December 2nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
My mom likes Cooper and my dad doesn't really like animals too much but he doesn't say anything. My FMIL and FFIL both think he's cute but don't want him in their house.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

December 2nd, 2007, 07:26 PM
Crystal423's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My parents love Reggie. Since we live close to them, he sees them more and has gotten used to them and isn't as wild. I get the feeling that my in-laws aren't that fond of him because he acts more crazy around them, but he doesn't see them a lot and he just gets more excitable, and I don't think they like that.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!
December 6th, 2007, 05:06 PM
mrsdismang
Everybody adores Yoda, in-laws and blood. In fact, Yoda's birthday is in April and mine is in August, and this past April my MIL thought it was MY birthday. When we pointed out to her that mine was in August, she apologized to the dog instead of me. But that is another story......
I'm not sure how the in-laws feel about Turbo because they have never had a cat and are probably more than a little ignorant about why he shies away. The probably just think he's scared. My parents are overloaded on cats so I'm sure they like him and understand his ways.
December 6th, 2007, 09:32 PM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Off topic, but Yoda is SO cute. I have a thing for Chihuahuas!

My family all love cats, except my SIL who is allergic. So since everyone in my family owns cats it's tough for her to come to our homes.

My husband's family aren't really pet people. In fact it's so bad, that when we had some of our nieces and nephews over and introduced them to our 2-month-old kittens, they were SCARED. Of kittens. Once we tried introducing them to our neighbor's two puppies, I don't know the breed but they look like cute little mops less than a foot tall. They worst they will ever do is lick someone to death. And the kids were scared of them too! Those kids need to get out more!

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

December 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM
mrsdismang
Quote:
Off topic, but Yoda is SO cute. I have a thing for Chihuahuas![/b]
Thank you! She says she knows
December 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My family LOVES them. We are big pet people. My in-laws are about 50/50. Most of them like them all, although Lacey is a bit much for some. She's a chihuahua spitz mix who thinks everyone loves her and she jumps in people's laps. I usually keep her in her crate if I know there are going to be people that don't want her doing that. She gets a little loud then though because she wants to be out playing. Sigh, she's my handful.

My MIL hates them all though. We have 2 cats and 3 dogs (Lacey and Biscuit and Sadie who are Lab mixes). She frequently says we should just take them all to the pound. She always says stuff implying that when we have kids we'll HAVE to get rid of them all because they are so dirty and unsafe...mmm yeah whatever.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search