We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I've used a shock collar before, and my dh uses them on his working dogs. They are somthing that needs to be in experienced hands though, as you can really mess a dog up bad if you don't know what your doing.
Not judging anyone else's practices, but from my own personal standpoint I would never, ever use a shock collar on a dog. My grandfather was a bit of an "animal whisperer" and as head of the military police he trained lots of dogs in his day...he never had to use shock collars or any form of physicality on them.
I am also very, very leery about any form of insect collar. My pug almost died from an "all natural" collar and when I was younger and worked in a vets office I saw three or four dogs come in who were poisoned/allergic to their insect collars. While working at the same vet's office we also had a dog come in with a 4 inch wide, 2 inch deep whole in his neck from his owners putting a shock collar on him and not realizing that it was burning the crap out of his neck.
As for shaker cans, I can't say...but I've never used them. I find things like that and spray bottles are not very effective b/c all they do is stop the behavior when you are around and able to "scare" the dog...I prefer teaching my dog not to do something or making that "something" off limits to him/her until they get the idea.
Well as I said they are only to be used in experienced hands only, and aren't used to train the dog commands, but rather to enofrce them when they get selective hearing. And yeah in uneducated or inexperienced hands they are mjore harm than good, and honestly for the average little family pet I'd never recommend them. But using working dogs they do come in handy when needed. DH has cowdogs and they are a mix of a few breeds that can be hardheaded at times, and simply getting off your horse and catching them when they've latched onto a cow and won't come behind is a stupid and dangerous thing to do, cause you'll more than likely get mauled by said cow when the dogs get off of her.