Where do you stand on the Pitbull Issue

Forum: Pet Owners and Animal Lovers

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pet Owners and Animal Lovers LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
I am just curious where everyone stands as far as their feelings about pit bulls. Personally I really feel that judgement calls should be made based dog to dog as it should be with any breed. There have been a lot of pit bulls that I have known to be great family dogs and wonderful companions. I think its not the breed its the stigma that comes with it and the lack of proper training, supervision and care.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

December 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Personally I think Chihuahua's are more viscious and have higher bite rates than pitts, but because Chi's can't "maul" people they're okay to own. Well they COULD still bite someone and given a small enough person even a Chi could do some damage. I think it needs to be based on the individual dog not the breed. Even boxers are being banned in some areas and I've now had 3 personal dogs that were boxers plus fosters and I have yet to meet a vicious one or even have one bite me. I think the whole thing is rediculous!
December 1st, 2007, 01:41 PM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Boxers??? Holy crap.. Casper part boxer..and hes a big baby!

Ive also had pitts that were big babies!

I think pitts have a bad rap and its awful how some owners treat them.

My friend has two pitts and they are well behaved and big ole babies too!

I agree with the comment about all dog breeds should be judged the same. even cute cuddly cockers can be vicious.. my uncle had one..oooh he was mean...

I believe its all how they are raised really. Like with my uncles cocker, he raised him from a puppy and it was just him and the dog for 6 years.. then he got married and Corky didnt like anyone but my uncle.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
December 1st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It can also do with bloodlines, a lot of times a dog aggressive dog can produce dog aggressive puppies (or pups that turn into dogs and become agressive), but that can happen with any breed.

Yeah Boxers, Rotties, Mastiffs, GSD's, pitts, those were some I read (among others) on a dog ban for somewhere that I don't remember, oh it was a military base I just can't remember which one. Oddly enough it was all big dogs, no small breeds which IMO is biased because as I said a lot of the small breeds have higher bite rates than the large breeds.
December 2nd, 2007, 06:39 AM
Hart_N_Sole
In my opinion, it isn't the breed itself; each dog should be looked at as an individual, and each case is different based on the upbringing of that particular dog. Pitbulls don't have a "mean, vicious" nature. But if they are brought up incorrectly, there are sure to be problems down the line. Same goes for ANY breed.

We have a Pitbull. We also have two German Shepherds, another breed frowned upon by many.
Our dogs are good dogs. They wouldn't harm a soul.
December 2nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
Emily_In_KSA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm new to this board but I thought I'd jump right in, lol...

Quote:
Personally I think Chihuahua's are more viscious and have higher bite rates than pitts, but because Chi's can't "maul" people they're okay to own. Well they COULD still bite someone and given a small enough person even a Chi could do some damage. I think it needs to be based on the individual dog not the breed. Even boxers are being banned in some areas and I've now had 3 personal dogs that were boxers plus fosters and I have yet to meet a vicious one or even have one bite me. I think the whole thing is rediculous![/b]
Amen to everything you said. I find many small dog breeds very high strung, deeply in-bred, and prone to just "snap" FAR more than "bully breed" dogs.

My heart absolutely, positively belongs to Boxers. I am an avid equestrian and my trainer and I have ALWAYS had boxers. I've honestly never met a breed of dog that is more intelligent, caring, and sensitive. My vet says she never met a mean pug, boxer, or greyhound. I had a pug also and she was an absolute doll, but I must be honest when I say that my boxer, Kenzie will always have my heart.

She passed away two months ago after a long, hard fight with cancer, severe pulmonary edema, and heart failure. We did all we could do to save our beloved baby girl but in the end the only thing that was fair to her was to let her go. Our vet, who has been with us since Kenzie was a baby and loved her dearly said "she's only alive right now because she doesn't want to make you sad, she is in more pain than any of us can possibly imagine" By the end her heart could not be seen on an ultrasound or an echo-cardiogram because the tumors and fluid in her chest cavity were so severe. Perhaps another dog would have been mean during a time of such torturous pain, but not our Kenzie girl...she gave kisses and wiggles and boxer snorts until the final moment. Oh God I'm totally SOBBING right now...

Anyway, sorry for going OT. I had a pit-bull named Kaya who was the sweetest pup a gal could ever have. She was kind to my cat, good with kids, and soooooo sweet with everyone she met.

Pits do not deserve the bad rap that they've been given. Humans have used them as weapons b/c they are loyal and smart...however, their nature is inherently sweet and trustworthy. I totally believe that and I would have another pit again in a heartbeat.

Ok ladies...sorry for rambling. I haven't been able to talk to anyone about Kenzie b/c it's just been too painful so I guess it all came out tonight, lol.

~Emily

Thank you Colleen for the beautiful siggy.

December 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Emily, don't ever apologize for going OT when it's such a heartfelt post about the love of an animal. IMO this is an animal board so you were totally ON topic . I am sorry to hear about your loss, we also had a boxer we lost 3 1/2 months ago to a probable brain tumor so I know what you are going through. Hang in there, you won't ever forget but the happy memories slowly start to replace the sad ones and things become easier. BIG hugs to you!
December 2nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
Emily_In_KSA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Emily, don't ever apologize for going OT when it's such a heartfelt post about the love of an animal. IMO this is an animal board so you were totally ON topic . I am sorry to hear about your loss, we also had a boxer we lost 3 1/2 months ago to a probable brain tumor so I know what you are going through. Hang in there, you won't ever forget but the happy memories slowly start to replace the sad ones and things become easier. BIG hugs to you![/b]
Thank you for your kind words...it's nice to know that others understand what it is like to lose such a beloved member of the family. Some people just look at us like we are nuts to care so much about a "mere" creature...*sigh*

Kenzie was almost 11 when she died, so for a Boxer she had a very long life. She was so funny, I swear she had a sense of humor and could also get an attitude if she wasn't happy about something. She was so human - it's just amazing.

And you're so right...as time goes on it will get easier and the happy memories will begin to wipe away the sad ones.

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your boxer baby as well...

Thank you Colleen for the beautiful siggy.

December 3rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Bianca's Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been bitten by three dogs and all three were under 20 pounds. One was a Pomeranian, one was a terrier mix and one was a chihuahua/dachshund mix. I like Pit Bulls but I would never own one personally and that is just due them often being animal aggressive. I don't want to have just one dog, I like having a few. My friend had a Pit Bull mix that was the sweetest thing ever. She often fostered so he was raised since he was 4 weeks old around many other animals. She had found him dumped outside the shelter we worked at. But when he was an adult he started being animal aggressive - he killed a few of her cats and seriously injured a couple of her dogs. He would have been very difficult to rehome so he was euthanized. This was despite being neutered at 8 weeks and being raised around many other animals - he also was never dominant to the dogs he was raised with. He even used to go to the dog park with no problems. Don't know what happened but some Pit Bull people told her that they "turn on" at maturity and can become animal aggressive at that time. I have no idea if that's true or not (it seems unlikely to me) but that's what she was told as well as being told that she should never have had a Pit Bull mix in the first place in a home with many other animals.

Thank you BAM!

December 5th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
I agree that it should be, for the most part, a case by case issue. But I think its wise to also "judge a book by its cover" when approaching any dog, especially breeds that are known to be aggressive. 2 of my neighbors have pit bulls - One I know and she is a sweet dog, the other I don't. With either dog I wouldn't let them around my son (10 months) supervised or not. I don't know that I'd ever want either of those dogs - or the other neighbor's Mastiff, around my child even when he is older. I don't think that the dogs should be "banned" or anything like that - I just don't want them around my child. I was attacked by a German Shepard when I was younger so I am a little weary of any dog I don't know well, and I am extremely so of the larger, aggressive breads.

A small little Chihuahua might be more aggressive than my neighbors pit bull - But I'd still rather take my chances with the Chihuahua than the pitbull. While they are both dogs I really don't think they compare... I personally haven't heard of any Chihuahua related deaths recently. But then again I haven't been keeping up with my current events....

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
December 5th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I agree that it should be, for the most part, a case by case issue. But I think its wise to also "judge a book by its cover" when approaching any dog, especially breeds that are known to be aggressive. 2 of my neighbors have pit bulls - One I know and she is a sweet dog, the other I don't. With either dog I wouldn't let them around my son (10 months) supervised or not. I don't know that I'd ever want either of those dogs - or the other neighbor's Mastiff, around my child even when he is older. I don't think that the dogs should be "banned" or anything like that - I just don't want them around my child. I was attacked by a German Shepard when I was younger so I am a little weary of any dog I don't know well, and I am extremely so of the larger, aggressive breads.

A small little Chihuahua might be more aggressive than my neighbors pit bull - But I'd still rather take my chances with the Chihuahua than the pitbull. While they are both dogs I really don't think they compare... I personally haven't heard of any Chihuahua related deaths recently. But then again I haven't been keeping up with my current events....[/b]
Just an FYI, Mastiffs are not known to be "aggressive". They are simply large, so people seem to have naive fears of them.
December 5th, 2007, 12:58 PM
SandyJ's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I completely feel like it depends on the dog. We have a large labrador/german shepard mix and a medium chihuahua/tomato dog mix. Both dogs are trained but the chihuahua is by nature calm in appearance but suspicious and doesn't like strangers. The lab is a big, boisterous, sweet lover who would go home with anyone who will pet him. When most people approach us they have an instant fear reaction to our big dog and want to pet our medium dog. We have to stop people and tell them that if they have to touch, they are going for the wrong one! Our chihuahua has never bitten, or tried to bite anyone, but if one of my dogs were to ever think about it, my money would be on the chihuahua! For that reason we discourage strangers from petting her.

I personally have never met a mean pit bull. The pits who come to our dog park are some of the sweetest dogs there!

December 5th, 2007, 01:20 PM
JediRach's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to JediRach
Big does not equal aggressive. People don't seem to understand that.

Harper Elizabeth
July 26, 2010
7 pounds, 6 ounces and 19 1/2 inches long

December 5th, 2007, 04:12 PM
mrsdismang
Quote:
Big does not equal aggressive. People don't seem to understand that.[/b]
TRUE! See the little cutie in my siggy? She is one of the most vicious dogs I have ever met, and I used to work with dogs and have met a LOT!
Personally, I don't really have a problem with pit bulls but there is the unfortunate truth that a lot of them are owned by irresponsible people and that is not a good mix.
December 5th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Quote:

A small little Chihuahua might be more aggressive than my neighbors pit bull - But I'd still rather take my chances with the Chihuahua than the pitbull. While they are both dogs I really don't think they compare... I personally haven't heard of any Chihuahua related deaths recently. But then again I haven't been keeping up with my current events....[/b]
Just an FYI, Mastiffs are not known to be "aggressive". They are simply large, so people seem to have naive fears of them.
[/b]
I didn't mean to imply that they were - but I can see how that would seem. We have 3 dogs on our street (plus our beagle puppy), the 2 pit bulls and the mastiff. I just meant I wouldn't want any of them around my son, pit bull or not. The aggressive comment was more toward the pit bulls but I did seem to lump them all together. I wouldn't want my son around a Chihuahua I didn't personally know and was good with kids, either. I will say I am afraid of the mastiff and have no desire to hang out with it. Its tried to bust through a wooden fence on more than one occasion as people walk by... perhaps it only wants to kiss and love everyone but I'm not about to stand there and find out. You know - the whole once bitten thing - plenty of scars left to remind me.

There was a little 8 year old boy on the news tonight in critical condition and about to undergo surgery after he was mauled by 2 dogs... pitbulls.

December 5th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
I didn't mean to imply that they were - but I can see how that would seem. We have 3 dogs on our street (plus our beagle puppy), the 2 pit bulls and the mastiff. I just meant I wouldn't want any of them around my son, pit bull or not. The aggressive comment was more toward the pit bulls but I did seem to lump them all together. I wouldn't want my son around a Chihuahua I didn't personally know and was good with kids, either. I will say I am afraid of the mastiff and have no desire to hang out with it. Its tried to bust through a wooden fence on more than one occasion as people walk by... perhaps it only wants to kiss and love everyone but I'm not about to stand there and find out. You know - the whole once bitten thing - plenty of scars left to remind me.

There was a little 8 year old boy on the news tonight in critical condition and about to undergo surgery after he was mauled by 2 dogs... pitbulls.
[/b]
You know, I always wonder about those, because having a kid myself I know how rough kids can get with dogs hitting, poking at their faces, eyes, etc crawling on them whatever. But come on would the news say that the kid was going up to the dog and throwing rocks at it or that he was poking the dog in the face or with a stick or whatever? Of course not, they make it out like little boy was walking along minding his own business and a dog jumped out and mauled him. I'm not saying that that couldn't happen, but I think another scenario is much more likely.

I have also been bitten a few times, btw. A Dalmation bit me when it was loose and trying to get to my cat and being the little kid that I was I jumped between the 2 of them to save my cat and I got bit. My own dog when he was suffering with a brain tumor snapped at, and grased me a couple of times, and I had to break up a dog fight in the middle of my family room between a foster and my female, so yeah I've seen the power, the good and the bad, when it comes to larger dogs. I guess my point is, my views are not coming through "rose colored glasses" type thinking, I have seen the ugly too, but I have also found that typically (not always but most times) the ugly is provoked by SOMETHING, and was something that could have been prevented.
December 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM
When I was attacked by the German Shepard I was in 5th grade - The dog was the "sweetest dog ever - a big baby". I went into the backyard WITH the dogs owner, didn't go near the dog, didn't touch the dog, the dog just attacked me completely unprovoked within a minute of me walking into the yard. And it didn't nip me... it thew me on the ground and attacked me. I still have the scars.

A few years ago in a city not to far from here - Cary Illinois - 3 pit bulls mauled a 10 year old boy going door to door fund raising. The dogs then attacked everyone who tried to help the kid, biting off someones thumb, and hurting several others....
http://www.nbc5.com/news/5262372/detail.html
The kids were not throwing rocks or anything like that.

There was an article a few months ago on CNN - a woman was mauled by a pit bull in her garage. She had her infant child with her and had to throw him into a garbage can to protect him. It was the neighbor's dog, it got loose, came into her garage, and just attacked her. Again, completely unprovoked.

There was the story a few years ago where that woman on the west coast was killed leaving her apartment (or coming home) by her neighbors dogs... completely unprovoked.

As for the kid who was on the news last night - It had just happened so the details were not known. It was 2 pit bulls on one child - and it was believed they were either family dogs or the family was taking care of the dogs.

While I believe there are plenty of cases where someone gets attacked and they were taunting the dog or something of that sort... there are cases where dogs attack unprovoked. And while its wrong for a child to throw rocks or hurt an animal in anyway.. It does NOT justify a child in critical condition, in surgery, fighting for his/her life.

December 6th, 2007, 08:48 AM
"Recently here in Louisville, Kentucky a 14-month old girl was mauled to death by the families Pit Bull.

The mother was feeding her daughter when the Pit Bull "snapped" and attacked the infant killing her."
From: http://www.pitbulllovers.com/pitbull...ks-deadly.html

The rest of the article is in defense of the pit bull, and while I don't agree that all pit bulls should be taken down - come on! The dog KILLED a baby - but it wasn't the dog's fault?

Here is one about a little girl on a swing who was attacked by the family pit bull - it ate the little girl's scalp... the article said "something provoked" the dog but I don't care... a CHILD lost her scalp
http://www.nbc4.com/news/3243296/detail.html

Here is an unprovoked attack of an 18 month old boy by the family Pit Bull, Molly -
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2004/04/11...9_184_10_04.txt

here is an article about a pit bull in a park that attacked a mounted Police officer's horse... something tells me the cop wasn't throwing rocks at the dog...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?.../23/horse23.DTL

Here we have a loose pit bull who attacked several people, unprovoked in October:
http://www.nbc5.com/news/14348775/detail.html
"A 6-year-old girl and her 28-year-old mother got the brunt of the first attack. Later, two teens, a 15-year-old male and a 14-year-old female arrived at the scene to help the mother and daughter."

Thats just a few that came up via google - I'm sure I could come up with many more but my beagle needs to go out

December 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Sabina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Speaking as a pit bull owner in a place were pit bulls have recently been banned.

During the time when the issue of implenting a ban was all the talk there were lots of fancy headlines about pit bull attacks. The facts are - there were lots of DOG attacks during that time and even a lab that killed a child but that never made the paper. The media will feed you what they want you to hear. Right now we never have a headline about a pit bull attacking anyone because nobody cares now. I don't care if you like pit bulls or not but please do your homework before point fingers or make accusations.

Not all pit bulls are animal aggressive I own two as you can see from my siggy. I adopted them when they were mature as insure they were not animal aggressive. If you are interested in owning more then one dog please consider adopting an adult. While animal aggression is part of the breed it will come out when they mature. I foster all kinds of dogs with my pit bulls and have never had a problem.

No matter what your opinion is - Please do your homework! Nothing is more frustrating at a pit bull owner then hearing facts that are untrue about the breed I love so much. I don't mind if people don't like them but I can't stand people spreading lies about them.
December 6th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
And while its wrong for a child to throw rocks or hurt an animal in anyway.. It does NOT justify a child in critical condition, in surgery, fighting for his/her life.[/b]
I have to respectfully disagree with this. What if someone was throwing rocks at YOU and poking YOU, if you had no arms, what would YOU do if you were an animal. It's called self preservation. I had PLENTY of kids throw rocks, sticks, etc at my dog when we were in the military and only had a fence. I finally put up signs saying "beware of dog" and spoke with a few of the kids and stopped putting him out there after school got out until dark. Really, he was a sweet dog, but everyone and everything has it's limits to being tortured.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search